Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Darc19 wrote: »
    The BIG test.

I don't think the new road can be tested until the speed limit is back up to 120 and the junctions are completed. I'm convinced that at least some of the misuse of lanes is due to people being unsure if they are In a lane that will slip off or not when in lane 1.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I don't think the new road can be tested until the speed limit is back up to 120 and the junctions are completed. I'm convinced that at least some of the misuse of lanes is due to people being unsure if they are In a lane that will slip off or not when in lane 1.

Indeed. I have driven this road once since the 3 lanes opened and saw two vehicles swerve at the M9 diverge. Whilst that’s just one observation it presumably is a regular occurrence there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed. I have driven this road once since the 3 lanes opened and saw two vehicles swerve at the M9 diverge. Whilst that’s just one observation it presumably is a regular occurrence there

Ive observed more people cutting from lane 3 to 1 to make the M9 off ramp.

Overall, the upgrade is a success so far. I feel the real big test will the dark November mornings and evenings. If we’re still flowing smoothly than we can sign it off a success.

We can not blame one off accidents, idiotic driver behavior, people who refuse to get in lane early on the upgrade. We’ve been given more room, used wisely it should be sufficient to accommodate us for the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ive observed more people cutting from lane 3 to 1 to make the M9 off ramp.

It wouldn't matter if the speed limit was 120, 80 or 40... the same self centred pricks will constantly do this to the end of time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's signage at J9 for Naas North as R450, is this a new number for the northern ring road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

The Naas/Rathangan road is closed next week from Newhall. Are they closing up all junctions there next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

anyone have any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So have the speed vans abandoned the new stretch of road ? Have been on it most days over the last week and I haven’t seen any enforcement of the 80km.
    I have noticed some people still doing the 60 while most are tipping along at 120. I have seen a few close calls where people doing 80 have changed to the left lane to make a junction and coming close to hitting cars doing ( why they were not in left lane all along is a mystery) .

harr wrote: »
    So have the speed vans abandoned the new stretch of road ? Have been on it most days over the last week and I haven’t seen any enforcement of the 80km.
    I have noticed some people still doing the 60 while most are tipping along at 120. I have seen a few close calls where people doing 80 have changed to the left lane to make a junction and coming close to hitting cars doing ( why they were not in left lane all along is a mystery) .

I have seen 2 cars pulled in this week by unmarked Garda cars, but no speed vans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Consider myself a fairly sharp driver but confused as hell today! I wanted to get
    come off the M7 at Naas for the Rathangan exit and backroads towards Sallins/Clane. Seems that’s closed now? I came off at the new junction before it in any case. You then have to crossover the M7 and onto unfinished layout up to the next junction.
    Coming back I was worse stupidly ended up taking the Dublin exit and had to go all the way to to the rioting Naas and back again....! The sooner all junctions are open, finished and Sallins bypass open the better

• Advertisement

The Naas/Rathangan road is closed next week from Newhall. Are they closing up all junctions there next week?

Yes that caught me out. Is that going to be a permanent thing? With the new lower junction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

If closing the newhall - Rathangan road how do we access the M7 business park ?
    I have to pick up tiles next week and not sure how to get in any other way ..

According to this, it is closed for Irish Water works, nothing to do with M7 roadworks. So you'll likely be able to access it from the Naas side.
    http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/TempClosingofRoadsNoticeofDecisionL2030RathanganRoad.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Coming from Rathangan, take a left at the thatched house and head to Caragh. Straight through, then take the path towards the bundle of sticks roundabout, and head in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

Do you think Garda traffic corp. will ever enforce lane discipline on our motorways?
    Anyone understand why drivers think its ok to just sit in the middle lane, I cant see the confusion in simply keeping left.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maruney wrote: »
    Do you think Garda traffic corp. will ever enforce lane discipline on our motorways?
    Anyone understand why drivers think its ok to just sit in the middle lane, I cant see the confusion in simply keeping left.

1.No, as if often squad cars i see as the worst offenders so no I cannot see them doing anything about it.

2. Middle lane hoggers either don't realise they're doing anything wrong or are happy to sit in the middle lane as they don't have to change lanes to overtake, don't have to deal with merging traffic or don't have to deal with cars cutting across them diving for exits. Hence it's safer to sit in the middle and waddle along.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Looking back through the thread I am still a bit confused, all the lanes are open but still down to 80kph?
    On leaving Dublin where does the speed reduction start? Heading to Nenagh tomorrow ta.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod:
    Can we not debate general driving habits, unless it pertains to this particular project? Post will be deleted without notice in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

antietam1 wrote: »
    Looking back through the thread I am still a bit confused, all the lanes are open but still down to 80kph?
    On leaving Dublin were does the speed reduction start? Heading to Nenagh tomorrow ta.

Exit 9 (Naas) to Exit 11 (Carlow/Waterford Exit) are still limited to 80 km/h but all 3 lanes are open.

Most cars, buses and trucks seem to be doing 100ish though and no-one (Gardai included*) seems to care

* Not a guarantee. Your experience may vary. Penalty points may apply :p

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Exit 9 (Naas) to Exit 11 (Carlow/Waterford Exit) are still limited to 80 km/h but all 3 lanes are open.

Most cars, buses and trucks seem to be doing 100ish though and no-one (Gardai included*) seems to care

* Not a guarantee. Your experience may vary. Penalty points may apply :p

Last time around June or so non peak hours was going at about 45k for about 25k?
    Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

antietam1 wrote: »
    On leaving Dublin were does the speed reduction start? Heading to Nenagh tomorrow ta.

Just as you pass J8 ( Johnstown ).

Safe traveling!!

Edit: had a good look this even8ng on the way down. The first 80 sign is just as the off=ramp for J8 starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

M7/M9 merge to Jct 12 overnight closure for repavement. - Hopefully they'll do it this time :):)

Kildare County Council gives notice, in accordance with Section 75 of the Roads Act 1993, that it intends to close:

The M7 Westbound (Overnight Closures) between Junction 11 (M7/M9 Diverge) and Junction 12 (Newbridge).

Dates of the closure: Hours of Closure:

Saturday/Sunday, 24 to 25August 2019 9.00 p.m. to 8.00 a.m.

Sunday/Monday, 25 to 26 August 2019 9.00 p.m. to 6.30 a.m.

These closures are required to facilitate the resurfacing of the pavement.

It is expected that the works will take only one night but an additional closure has been booked in case of unforeseen delays and / or poor weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Does anyone know when they plan to finish with the section from Naas to the M7/M9 split. Was down in Kildare on Sat and to me, it appeared that quite a lot of work is still needed at the M7/M9 fork. There's less crews on the main road now so my assumption is that they have switched to the Sallins by-pass.
    Great to see the project nearing completion after a frustrating close to 2 years period. The quality of tarmac to me doesn't look great compared to some other stretches in the country but it may be to much to expect that everything is done to certain standards.
    As many are saying, the real test will be soon when schools open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

regedit wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they plan to finish with the section from Naas to the M7/M9 split. Was down in Kildare on Sat and to me, it appeared that quite a lot of work is still needed at the M7/M9.
    Read the post above yours. Overnight closure for finishing work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Anyone been near Sallins recently? How far along is that looking and does it have a projected finish date?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Darc19 wrote: »
    Read the post above yours. Overnight closure for finishing work

I did but I thought it was something small as it seems to be for 1 night only.
    Great if they manage to complete it in 1 night as it's a big job...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone have any idea when Jct 9A will open? Osberstown.

Anyone else see the 30 or so clowns outside the Poitin Stil causing a massive tailback ?
    Tip jerseys/flags and 4 or 5 fires lit on the side of the road at rush hour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone else see the 30 or so clowns outside the Poitin Stil causing a massive tailback ?
    Tip jerseys/flags and 4 or 5 fires lit on the side of the road at rush hour.

Two squad cars and fire engine needed.
    Put the fire out, load everyone up, and fine them for littering and public disturbance.

• Advertisement

Was it just me or were the M9 junctions upgraded about 6 or 7 years ago to better free flowing jobs- they’ve had to redo all that to fit with the upgraded M7 I guess? Hope they have them rurally finished for the back to school as they are a bit of a pain in the arse just now

Advertisement