Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The Naas/Rathangan road is closed next week from Newhall. Are they closing up all junctions there next week?

Anyone know what is going on here? Yesterday I turned right outside The Red House, and came home the back road that way ( fearing massive queues into Newbridge from before Wyatt. This morning heading for Caragh, I saw plenty of vehicles heading on straight as I turned left at the thatch cottage.

Is the Rathangan Road only closed at certain times during the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Anyone know what is going on here? Yesterday I turned right outside The Red House, and came home the back road that way ( fearing massive queues into Newbridge from before Wyatt. This morning heading for Caragh, I saw plenty of vehicles heading on straight as I turned left at the thatch cottage.

Is the Rathangan Road only closed at certain times during the day??

It's nothing to do with M7.

Simply it's the new sewage pipeline crossing the road. So road is closed from floods cross to M7 junction for this week.
    Coming from rathangan you can still get up to floods cross and turn right towards Ladytown or left towards Salins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Is there a date when they will take away the 80kph signs and allow for 120kph? Sorry if it was already mentioned!

dave 27 wrote: »
    Is there a date when they will take away the 80kph signs and allow for 120kph? Sorry if it was already mentioned!

The 80km limit applies to 30th Sept at the latest.

M9 section of m7/M9 merge resurfacing works stated for 6th/7th Sept overnight.

So it will be sometime after 8th Sept and before 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Came down the Millennium road in Naas and there is a real focus on the slip from J9a now. Lots of work and a significant amount of machinery focusing on the ramp. Curbing is in place in the center and being installed on the sides. The existing roundabout has been narrowed and fenced off to allow the tie in works to complete. I can't imagine it will be too long before that ramp is ready. Couple more weeks maybe.

This would indicate the previously mentioned September opening for J9a is still in focus, with Sallins bypass to complete later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Darc19 wrote: »

Cool! Will be nice to have it ready before the winter weather and darker evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Darc19 wrote: »

I assume that means fixing the alignment at the split outbound at the M9 junction. It's a very odd angle at the moment if you're in the right lane.

As for the speed limit. Everyone seems to be doing 100 since they opened all 3 lanes. No technical reason not to given much of that stretch seems to be done.

What's going on further south at exit 14 though. They seem to be resurfacing it and have put in 60 km/h limits for several km.. Oddly though there's no 120 km/h sign at the end - it goes to 80 and then it all just ends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Came down the Millennium road in Naas and there is a real focus on the slip from J9a now. Lots of work and a significant amount of machinery focusing on the ramp. Curbing is in place in the center and being installed on the sides. The existing roundabout has been narrowed and fenced off to allow the tie in works to complete. I can't imagine it will be too long before that ramp is ready. Couple more weeks maybe.

This would indicate the previously mentioned September opening for J9a is still in focus, with Sallins bypass to complete later.

How's junction 10 getting on?

spacetweek wrote: »

Badly needs to be finished. Heading for Newbridge, we cannot use the back road as theRathangan Rd. Is closed, so we have to drive up to the Bundle of Sticks, then come back down the dual Carriageway,. Also I have seen traffic coming up from Toughers backed down to the edge of the industrial estate.

Cannot be finished soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

spacetweek wrote: »

They've covered most of the old J10 southbound off-ramp with earth now anyway, seen that this evening. The turn back to Bundle of Sticks is still in place at the new off-ramp, but the new northbound on-ramp coming from Newbridge direction has looked very close to being finished for a few weeks now.

• Advertisement

Brasso wrote: »
    They've covered most of the old J10 southbound off-ramp with earth now anyway, seen that this evening. The turn back to Bundle of Sticks is still in place at the new off-ramp, but the new northbound on-ramp coming from Newbridge direction has looked very close to being finished for a few weeks now.

What’s the plan with the old off ramp at J10 SB? I also saw the ramp covered in soil this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

What’s the plan with the old off ramp at J10 SB? I also saw the ramp covered in soil this evening.
    "To be closed and landscaped" according to this document. Will probably just be planted with trees similar to what's beside it now.

Some overnight repavement work took place last night at westbound m7/M9 merge.

I suspect more will be done tonight to effectively finish the M7 westbound line.

The m9 vere-off lane gets a finishing layer on weekend of 6th/7th.

Also looks like northbound on ramp of jct 10 is getting finishing touches and all barriers now removed, so hopefully opening this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Did anyone notice the sign on the M7 northbound stating Johnstown 2Km and Naas 3Km which would mean the exit for Naas is after Johnstown..It was a week or so ago, and it just caught my eye..

The sign is distance to the town, not distance to the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

It is the distance from Post Office to Post Office, back in the days it was stagecoaches or Bianconi Coaches were the only method of transport and they delivered the mail as well.

On a side note, travelled the M7/N7 yesterday and even at the 80 Kph speed limit, flew along the road.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    It is the distance from Post Office to Post Office
    I'll need a source for 'modern signage is using distance from post office to post office', otherwise I'm calling nonsense on the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

The M7 can be widened all the way to J18 Portlaoise. Why not continue the three lanes down to here?

Cost and need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The M7 can be widened all the way to J18 Portlaoise. Why not continue the three lanes down to here?

Ah it’s never too bad is it? Very free flowing. Especially after Kildare.

• Advertisement

On ramp Eastbound at the new J10 opened this morning. Old ramp closed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is that old slip reopening?

beertons wrote: »
    Is that old slip reopening?

No, its been replaced by the new one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No, its been replaced by the new one.

That's a pity.

beertons wrote: »
    That's a pity.

It would make no sense to have 2 ramps 300m apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

It would make no sense to have 2 ramps 300m apart.

And it would mean downgrading the entire Naas bypass from motorway to maybe an 80kph permanent dual carriage way due to safety concerns from the redundant junction so close to another one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

What is the revised speed limit now or is it 120 all the way through the works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

trellheim wrote: »
    What is the revised speed limit now or is it 120 all the way through the works

Currently still at 80km/h, expect that to run through until all finishing works and J9a works are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Why would you have a local distance sign on a motorway..? It would seem to be a distance to exit sign

• Advertisement

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Why would you have a local distance sign on a motorway..? It would seem to be a distance to exit sign
    ...Because people are heading to major towns and cities, not the exits?

The signposts giving distance to Limerick on the M7 are giving it to the city centre, not the junction at Annacotty. Sign posts across Europe and the USA work this way too, because it's rational and logical.

Advertisement