Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Stan27 wrote: »
    North bound in traffic, I dont see a major difference.

Southbound, defo an improvement.

Would be cool to have the proposed road for naas Town to be built, and a 3rd lane from the split to maybe kildare Laois boarder (southbound).
    Though public transport is really needed. Dublin needs to be sorted first as there is no point some one from naas getting a train for examplebut can't get to ballycoolin industrial estate.

I can’t see why a massive rail/bus park and ride can’t go in close to Sallins/Naas. Would take huge numbers off the N/M7 if properly executed

I wish they’d finish the damn thing by now. Southbound was down to 2 lanes this morning with very little going on. Just get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

road_high wrote: »
    I wish they’d finish the damn thing by now. Southbound was down to 2 lanes this morning with very little going on. Just get on with it

You’re a member since 2006, you should know by now this is a discussion forum not a wishing well!
    Posting the same thing every 2 days isn’t going to speed things up.

Last Stop wrote: »
    You’re a member since 2006, you should know by now this is a discussion forum not a wishing well!
    Posting the same thing every 2 days isn’t going to speed things up.

Go way I assumed the contractor was reading this religiously and basing their work around it? It’s wonderful we have you around to tell us otherwise !

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Go way I assumed the contractor was reading this religiously and basing their work around it? It’s wonderful we have you around to tell us otherwise !

Ah so that would explain why you posted the same thing twice in two days as if the job would be finished in 48 hours. So many arm chair experts here would be shocked if they ever set foot on a road construction project.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can ye stop sniping at each other. It wll not get the work done any quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Listening to the radio here as I get ready and traffic reports saying there's already tailbacks inbound to exit 7.

Maybe they should have just worked on the outbound stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Listening to the radio here as I get ready and traffic reports saying there's already tailbacks inbound to exit 7.

The widening was never about Dublin bound traffic and that has been repeated time and time again by TII

They openly acknowledged that there would be longer tailbacks on the N7 inbound

However, it was designed to alleviate the daily Southbound delays, the local traffic and to cut the number of minor accidents that were the cause of almost weekly horror stories.

On all three aims, they have succeeded and when the millennium park junction opens and sallins bypass opens, it will be even better for local traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

That would only make sence. Total waste of money and effort with the inbound works. The M50 couldn't handle the volume of traffic that was going onto it. It certainly wont be able to handle the volume now.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Tarmac is going down on link from J9a to the millennium park (Naas ring road) as I type. J9a is on the way.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That would only make sence. Total waste of money and effort with the inbound works. .

People using the M7 work in Naas and Newbridge too.

Also, how many minor accidents have there been on the northbound section from M9 to Naas north since 3 lanes opened.

Answer = 0

How many were there last Aug / Sept?

Answer = probably one every week.

People seem to have short memories of the mega delays caused by minor shunts on the M7

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭champchamp

Anyone know when the Sallins bypass is due to be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Stan27 wrote: »
    North bound in traffic, I dont see a major difference.

Southbound, defo an improvement.

Would be cool to have the proposed road for naas Town to be built, and a 3rd lane from the split to maybe kildare Laois boarder (southbound).
    Though public transport is really needed. Dublin needs to be sorted first as there is no point some one from naas getting a train for examplebut can't get to ballycoolin industrial estate.
    I don’t think they will bother to even propose anything for the M7 again after this for at least another 15 years. And regarding public transport for Naas to alleviate the M/N7- that will never happen. Public transport in Kildare is reserved for Maynooth and Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Tomrota wrote: »
    Public transport in Kildare is reserved for Maynooth and Celbridge.

And Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Darc19 wrote: »
    People using the M7 work in Naas and Newbridge too.

Also, how many minor accidents have there been on the northbound section from M9 to Naas north since 3 lanes opened.

Answer = 0

How many were there last Aug / Sept?

Answer = probably one every week.

People seem to have short memories of the mega delays caused by minor shunts on the M7

I covered that the other day. The restrictions on the M9 merge at present are limiting the frequent muppetry at that junction where merging cars shoot across the hatch markings to the far right lane or cut others off to get a car length ahead.

Let's see how things are when all lanes are fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Travel through naas on way to Meath most weekends and cant wait for the sallins link to open. There seems to be another bridge from the road that the Kerry building is on..
    Where will that road lead to?
    Thanks
    Roy

Shou!d say it's the one near power city

Sallins bypass still seems a way off. Pic of one of the underpasses from today when I was passing...

490461.jpg

490462.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

To the best of my knowledge now that the beams are in the finishing work on the overbridge there should go quite quickly, seems like for these bridges the majority of the time taken is in waiting for the built up dirt to settle so it can then be retained, the crew seem to have planned it out well, have a small group doing the Sallins road embankments while the majority of the workforce is getting the M7 work done, and now push most of them on to the Bypass when they can make best use of the extra bodies, I'd say the rest of it will go pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

They are the beams on the Osberstown overbridge. No beams on the canal bridge yet as of last weekend anyways (pier pics above). There was no budge yet on new roundabout Clane end or tie in road into Sallins visible. So I'd be surprised if Sallins bypass completed within 3 months. More like Feb or March or later. They could stage opening Sallins then Clane but probably not worth the hassle.

They are the beams on the Osberstown overbridge. No beams on the canal bridge yet as of last weekend anyways (pier pics above). There was no budge yet on new roundabout Clane end or tie in road into Sallins visible. So I'd be surprised if Sallins bypass completed within 3 months. More like Feb or March or later. They could stage opening Sallins then Clane but probably not worth the hassle.

I think they said summer 2020? I look forward to that for cross country runs up to Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

There won't be any roundabout built on the Clane side of bypass. Unresolved KCC/landowner dispute.

emfifty wrote: »
    There won't be any roundabout built on the Clane side of bypass. Unresolved KCC/landowner dispute.

So that’ll be just a stop sign junction ? Recipe for disaster I’d say. Looks to be lots of space there

So that’ll be just a stop sign junction ? Recipe for disaster I’d say. Looks to be lots of space there

No one seems to know. If not a Stop sign, then some form of signalised junction instead perhaps. It needs a proper roundabout. Anything else is just nonsense at this stage.

What's the source of this? Seems strange. At the very least they could place the roundabout just inside bypass site exit and reallign the main road to join it. Assuming the land dispute could only be on the opposite side of the road to the bypass exit??

That would only make sence. Total waste of money and effort with the inbound works. The M50 couldn't handle the volume of traffic that was going onto it. It certainly wont be able to handle the volume now.

Far as i can see the 4 track rail line into Heuston is totally underused still as regards services. Every time i get the train all i see is empty lines and empty platforms on that section

BuzzFish wrote: »
    What's the source of this? Seems strange. At the very least they could place the roundabout just inside bypass site exit and reallign the main road to join it. Assuming the land dispute could only be on the opposite side of the road to the bypass exit??

I'm sure KCC could do whatever they wished if they had some creative solutions.
    Wouldn't hold by breath for a 'creative solution' from KCC though.
    They might need to make some changes to the original bypass contract though me thinks it's possibly too late as the road alignment is more or less complete bar the asphalt.

Sorry, I need to protect my sources 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Far as i can see the 4 track rail line into Heuston is totally underused still as regards services. Every time i get the train all i see is empty lines and empty platforms on that section

Big part of the problem there is the 4 track not going all the way to Heuston, it puts a major brake on the current capacity, once that section is done and electrification begins I think the plan is DART on the inside two lines and Intercity/Commuter on the outer two?
    emfifty wrote:
    I'm sure KCC could do whatever they wished if they had some creative solutions.
    Wouldn't hold by breath for a 'creative solution' from KCC though.
    They might need to make some changes to the original bypass contract though me thinks it's possibly too late as the road alignment is more or less complete bar the asphalt.

I still find it strange that there wasn't an additional section/alternate route that linked in to the 'Prosperous Road' 200 metres further up from where the Clane road will come out, would save any commuters to/from prosperous direction from coming out on to the Clane/Sallins road only to immediately turn back towards prosperous in a Dog-leg, and reduce junction complexity of having two 'major' junctions so close together on the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

:(

BTW there was a specific CPO issued for that roundabout...
    http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/PressReleasesAdverts2018/October/M7R407CPOOctober2018.html

Hopefully this will lead to a roundabout being built eventually. But given that it was only cpo'ed late last year, it could take years for the change to materialise.

• Advertisement

I was up around the Osberstown I/C today and I reckon it could be open by month end. Asphalt is down both sides of link rd to Kerry Foods and demerge slip road westbound was being cleaned by a roadsweeper. Poles for signage all in place too from what I could see.

Advertisement