Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

December 2018

November 2018

As a reminder, these were some of the 'expert' posts with 'insider knowledge' that people were bowing down and worshipping and insisting were unquestionable.

How do they look in retrospect?

Ah yeah, you need to be a civil engineer to be able to look at evidence, facts or approach something rationally and/or logically. The ironic thing is that the people arguing such aren't even bright enough to be aknow how ware that it's one of the most common logical fallacies.

Many of us here were shocked to see that last year (2018), when we had an ideal weather, there was very little work been done on the main road and instead, the builders focused on the Sallins bypass section. Think about the logic of this approach! We had many posts here where people were telling us of days and days with no activity on the main strip!
    Timelines were not imposed by me and you but are part of the contract between KCC and the vendor. We got told by the builders that they were hoping to open the road for the easter bank holiday 2019 (Easter, April) and we all know how it ended!
    I am not contesting that issues may have arisen as they were doing work but in the grand scheme of things, this was an easy job! No major bridges, viaducts etc. If they were not able to handle small hiccups, Siac should not have been granted the contract!
    Not sure what major things they found as they were 'progressing'! Also, for me it's very important for the vendor should learn to be more socially aware. Their website is abysmal, they never came here to share the progress. If they had, we may not be have having these debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

regedit wrote: »
    Many of us here were shocked to see that last year (2018), when we had an ideal weather, there was very little work been done on the main road and instead, the builders focused on the Sallins bypass section. Think about the logic of this approach! We had many posts here where people were telling us of days and days with no activity on the main strip!
    Timelines were not imposed by me and you but are part of the contract between KCC and the vendor. We got told by the builders that they were hoping to open the road for the easter bank holiday 2019 (Easter, April) and we all know how it ended!
    I am not contesting that issues may have arisen as they were doing work but in the grand scheme of things, this was an easy job! No major bridges, viaducts etc. If they were not able to handle small hiccups, Siac should not have been granted the contract!
    Not sure what major things they found as they were 'progressing'! Also, for me it's very important for the vendor should learn to be more socially aware. Their website is abysmal, they never came here to share the progress. If they had, we may not be have having these debates.

The M7 widening and Sallins bypass is a single project. Unless the contract states otherwise, it is up to the contractor to decide how he wants to deliver the project.
    Both parts of the project had strict deadlines to meet for specific elements. In the case of the Sallins bypass, the rail underbridge and on the M7 the demolition of the Osberstown bridge as well as the placement of new beams. To the best of my knowledge all of these deadlines were met.
    We have not heard confirmation of any official contractual deadlines to finish the job. The deadline of Easter was a mistake by KCC and lessons should be learned from that.
    I cannot agree that this was an easy job. 12km of work with 80,000 vehicles passing each day. The demolition and rebuilding of a bridge over a motorway with extensive traffic management, the construction of a bridge under a railway line, 2 river bridges, 1 canal bridge and 1 overbridge is about as complex a job as you will get.
    How can not award a job to someone based on the future? SIAC won the job based on their tender price and quality. TII took them on their word that they could deliver the job. If it transpires that they cannot handle small hiccups well then there’s nothing you can do about it really except implement contractual penalties.
    I have to agree with you regarding the website etc. but this is common to the majority of comtruction jobs in Ireland. If only they shot some drone footage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

In bypass news Osberstown overbridge advanced with ramps now but no surfacing or kerbing on ramps yet

The ramps are ready to go, with signage/lighting installed. There are gantry works still pending on the main carriageway for J9a.

The ramp to the Millennium Park is essentially complete now too with just some minor works on the junction to be completed. The off-ramp to Millennium Park is very close at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Back on topic. Went for a drive around the M7 works to see where things are at.
    M7/M9 merge works seem to have stalled for some reason.
    Exit 10 WB merge slowly coming together but again not much activity happening there including new R445 roundabout.
    Most activity taking place at Mpark interchange which looks ready to go bar some tidy up work. Asphalt complete on all slips and down towards K Foods roundabout. Just a few signs to be erected. Should be open (Kerry Foods side) imminently.
    Gantry frames being installed one at a time by the looks of things including an ITS gantry eastbound between exit 9a and 9.
    One brown tourist sign installed westbound close to exit for Naas north for "Punchestown and Naas racecourse".

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

BuzzFish wrote: »
    The ramps are ready to go, with signage/lighting installed. There are gantry works still pending on the main carriageway for J9a.

The ramp to the Millennium Park is essentially complete now too with just some minor works on the junction to be completed. The off-ramp to Millennium Park is very close at this point.

Ah. I think this confusion arose earlier too.

Indeed J9A motorway interchange is looking good and ready to go. OSM here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.2347&mlon=-6.6832#map=14/53.2347/-6.6832

My reference to new ramps and no kerbing was for new Osberstown Road overbridge of the bypass (note not an interchange) here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.2424&mlon=-6.6775#map=16/53.2424/-6.6775

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

What is the traffic these days southbound? I've been working late most days so traffic non-existent by the time I reach J9.
    Today, I was there at 5:15 PM and traffic flex, no problems at all so, wondering was today an exception (Monday) or has it now become the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

After todays heavy rain and after all the €millions spent on the upgrade and all the time taken to complete the project.It was sad to see.

A sizeable pond of water in the middle lane about a mile and a half before the m9 southbound junction.

If it wasn’t able to cope today how will things be in the future ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

After todays heavy rain and after all the €millions spent on the upgrade and all the time taken to complete the project.It was sad to see.

A sizeable pond of water in the middle lane about a mile and a half before the m9 southbound junction.

If it wasn’t able to cope today how will things be in the future ?
    The same thing happened around Johnstown a few years back and they sorted it pretty quickly. They still left the warning sign up flashing for a though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Observed update.

Disclaimer. I'm not an engineer, I don't exaggerate, I like to look on the positive side of life.

Travelling from Grange castle (only do this sporadically) to Kildare Town junction.

New Osberstown junction for access to millennium Park looks to be ready. I'll guess Friday as they seem to make major changes on Fridays.

Jct 10 Southbound on and off ramp. Still looks like a good lot of work to be done. But the base layers seem to be laid ready for tarmac layers. Hopefully the crew on jct 9a will move here now and speed it up.

M9 Junction. Both north and south bound seem to have their full tarmac layers done on the m9 section (northbound done last weekend) and most of m7 section before and after the junction.

Kildare cc have overnight closures this weekend and following weekend for this completion (though they had previously cancelled similar weekends)

Overall I would hazard a guess that it will be completed before the Oct Bank holiday.

If memory serves me right, this was the time line given back in 2017 with Sallins bypass completion for March 2020?

For those who have issues with the dates, here's part of a press release from September 2017 when the tender was awarded.

“The awarding of today’s contract with SIAC/Colas JV is a milestone and ensures that the much needed widening works on the M7 can commence and will be completed by Autumn 2019. The contract covers the widening of the M7 to 3 lanes from the Junction 9 (the big ball) to the M7/M9 interchange, the Sallins bypass and the construction of a new interchange at Osberstown near Kerry Group.

“Based on the award of this contract, it is anticipated that the overall project will be completed by Spring 2020 with the M7 anticipated to be completed by Autumn 2019. This scheme represents an overall investment of €110m.

• Advertisement

Speed limit restrictions extended to end of November now:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/TempClosingofRoadsNoticeofDecisonL81760.html

Painful stuff when its looking almost complete from J10-J9...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Speed limit restrictions extended to end of November now:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/TempClosingofRoadsNoticeofDecisonL81760.html

Painful stuff when its looking almost complete from J10-J9...

I dont think anyone is obeying the 80 kmph speed limit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

benny79 wrote: »

Not getting on any high horse here but I’m sticking to 80, I sit in the left lane for most of the stretch of J11 to J8 I have that lane to myself while others race up the middle and right lanes.

Have to say the lack of any sort of speed detection is baffling, the go safe vans have been gone for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

benny79 wrote: »

Not one person that I have seen has followed it from Naas north exit to Johnstown exit anyway. It’s ironic that it’s 80 on the smooth safe surface and then goes up to 100 it when it gets so rough and sounds like a plane taking off 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I've just done the entire run both directions this lunchtime and I'd guess 80% of the vehicles obeyed 80km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not that anyone should be breaking speed limits but would it be fair to say most of the construction workers who had been working adjacent to the main carriageway traffic are no longer working in more exposed locations as those stages are finished? Hence reduced speed camera visibility and enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

MaceFace wrote: »
    I've just done the entire run both directions this lunchtime and I'd guess 80% of the vehicles obeyed 80km/h.

Not in the mornings or evenings. Vast majority are sticking to 100kmph. When you do get the odd 80kmph driver in the morning, they are invariably in the middle lane with a truck firmly stuck on their arse.

Just a point of note on temporary speed limits.
    The council applies to the court and gives a date range for the limit.

The lower limit cannot commence before or continue after the dates on the order.

However, it can be started anytime after and ended anytime before the dates provided.

So whilst the latest date is end of November, they can nullify the order at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Plans for canal bridge beams to be installed Thursday...with temp road closures underneath... http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Lorenzo may reschedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Plans for canal bridge beams to be installed Thursday...with temp road closures underneath... http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Lorenzo may reschedule.

Any news on this? Did the beam lifts go ahead yesterday, as planned?

• Advertisement

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Any news on this? Did the beam lifts go ahead yesterday, as planned?

Did not go ahead but the crane is on site. I'll post pics later as on mobile.

Did not go ahead but the crane is on site. I'll post pics later as on mobile.

492289.jpg

492290.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Noticed the gantry which was in the coned off area just before J9 SB has gone. Anyone know where it is being erected?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

More long delays this morning at the m9-m7 merge. 2 km tailbacks. This stretch of road has been closed /reduced to a single lane since the first week of July. Why does it take so long to finish this piece of the project.Its a complete joke at this stage.
    It was pretty much a 20 km tailback (no accident anywhere )from Red cow to Kill again this morning. This major project was supposed to alleviate all these issues but it’s actually made things worse inbound. I suppose a €120 million upgrade that makes things worse will be seen as a great success in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭red_diesel

The M9/M7 merge is causing serious delays the past week or so since they changed the layout. Hopefully its finished soon.
    I have never seen congestion on the Kill - Red Cow stretch as bad as Mon -Wed last week and again today. To be fair, I don't think anybody claimed the 3 lanes to Nass would resolve issues further on. Its pure volume. My commute was 40 mins longer this morning and becoming unworkable.
    The only plus is the trip home where the 3 lanes make a huge difference.

More long delays this morning at the m9-m7 merge. 2 km tailbacks. This stretch of road has been closed /reduced to a single lane since the first week of July. Why does it take so long to finish this piece of the project.Its a complete joke at this stage.

I've heard a rumour that there is a H&S issue between Roadstone and the contractors. The contractors want the merge work completed with live lanes right next to machinery and Roadstone will not accept the risk to their workers. Apparently if Roadstone were to work to the contractors demands their workers arses would be within 1.5m of the live traffic lanes. The central split between the carriageways is one of the main risks.

Roadstone will only commit to the work at weekends with closed lanes but contractors unwilling to accept.

Again, just a rumour I have heard. Maybe others on here have heard something similiar?

As for J9a... its painfully close. Amazed they did not get it over the line last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It was pretty much a 20 km tailback (no accident anywhere )from Red cow to Kill again this morning. This major project was supposed to alleviate all these issues but it’s actually made things worse inbound. I suppose a €120 million upgrade that makes things worse will be seen as a great success in this country.

Absolutely- it's like they've abandoned the M9 merges now the mainline is open and the public pressure is off. Very annoying as they were re-doene about 6/7 years ago and had been fairly working well pre upgrade works. Can't understand why they won't just finish it but of course us "amatuers" are no longer allowed comment on the slow pace of these works!

Need a radical change in commuting patterns here such as massive P&R using buses and the rail-line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Junction 12-11 was closed early Sunday morning. Might have missed it but I didn't see any advance notice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This upgrade was always going to make things worse inbound. There is no longer a bottleneck at Naas so a larger volume of traffic joins the M50 queue quicker. This will only get worse when the M9 merge is fixed

There are two options here to solve this

1. Add lanes
    2. Remove cars

Option 1 has been ruled out by TII so the only viable solution is option 2.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    Junction 12-11 was closed early Sunday morning. Might have missed it but I didn't see any advance notice.
    It was announced about 2 weeks ago, but because there have been so many announcements which were canceled at the last minute, they are almost ignored now.

A lot of paving work was done on eastbound m7m9 merge at the weekend with just a top coat needed and line painting.

I had reason to travel the m9 a couple of times last week and there was plenty of work going on during the day - mainly the verges. So hopefully, once the top layer is on, it's finally good to go.

Advertisement