Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

pad199207 wrote: »
    Should at least come down to Naas. It’s the busiest station.

With the Dart Expansion, I believe that they're trying to do the easiest and most cost efficient upgrades first. At a guess, once complete, or even once it nears completion, we'll hear more about further expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

pad199207 wrote: »
    Should at least come down to Naas. It’s the busiest station.

I think when quad tracking happens Hazelhatch to Heuston capacity beyond Hazelhatch will increase significantly as a result, all trains from Heuston to Naas and beyond will have a free and direct run in and out and not have to mix with short stoppers at any point, which should simplify IE logistics for intercity and commuter, this should mean more trains running beyond Hazelhatch, so more space for more people.

Quad tracking to Sallins might be a goal eventually but IE should definitely have a lot more to work with once the DART is done

EDIT: Didn't realise I was in the N7 thread, apologies for the off topic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Good to see the work being finished off on the new junction at Kerry Foods, it will take a lot of pressure off the Monread Road during the peak times. Looks like that could be opening up fairly soon.

There seems to be a huge amount of work left to be completed on the Sallins by-pass though. I drove around the back road this morning and they're still nowhere near completing the areas around the bridges across the road and the canal there. Hopefully we'll see this bit completed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Anatom wrote: »
    Good to see the work being finished off on the new junction at Kerry Foods, it will take a lot of pressure off the Monread Road during the peak times. Looks like that could be opening up fairly soon.

There seems to be a huge amount of work left to be completed on the Sallins by-pass though. I drove around the back road this morning and they're still nowhere near completing the areas around the bridges across the road and the canal there. Hopefully we'll see this bit completed soon.

This is planned as the final section to complete anyway as its the 'lowest priority' section, should be done by early 2020, most structures are now substantially in place, the surfacing and such will go in much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Anatom wrote: »

Interesting to see how quickly jobs can be done - 15 hours to demolish a bridge, reinstate road, barriers and markings https://www.reddit.com/r/gifsthatkeepongiving/comments/diu4zj/bridge_demolished_and_cleared_in_15_hours/ that's a three week job minimum in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

tails_naf wrote: »
    Interesting to see how quickly jobs can be done - 15 hours to demolish a bridge, reinstate road, barriers and markings https://www.reddit.com/r/gifsthatkeepongiving/comments/diu4zj/bridge_demolished_and_cleared_in_15_hours/ that's a three week job minimum in Ireland.

Despite the fact they did the exact same thing effectively TWICE (Oberstown and Irish Rail Underpass) on this job each time taking less than a weekend??

There are many examples of these types of projects around the country, bridge replacements/demolitions & installations that were done over a weekend.
    If a project requires minimal disruption, then the extra costs involved are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Last Stop wrote: »
    Despite the fact they did the exact same thing effectively TWICE (Oberstown and Irish Rail Underpass) on this job each time taking less than a weekend??

Just looked that up, very impressive in its own right. Looks like there was weeks of prep, but the final phase of installing the underpass did happen very quickly. Still think reinstating a dual carrigeway in 15 hours is pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

j9a:
    lampposts don't have lights installed
    fencing in progress Naas side
    landscaping in progress
    line painting looks done
    mainline signage needs to be installed/completed

j10:
    guardrail 90% installed on remaining slip
    landscaping in progress
    no line painting observed on remaining slip.
    Still needs Naas > Newbridge to be adjusted then the current surface lowered, roundabout completed.

bypass:
    new canal bridge appears to be decked now.
    earthmoving still in progress this area
    kerbing started at Clane end

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How is the M9 junction/s looking? Is it finished yet? Not been up for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

road_high wrote: »
    How is the M9 junction/s looking? Is it finished yet? Not been up for a few weeks.

Tie in works more or less complete on both sides. Just some lane restrictions in place until signage, hatch markings etc are all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

emfifty wrote: »
    Tie in works more or less complete on both sides. Just some lane restrictions in place until signage, hatch markings etc are all done.

Is there any time frame on this being finished do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Naas North, Dublin bound on-ramp have cones removed. Auxiliary lane between Naas North and Johnstown (Dublin bound) also open. Still 80km/h.

From passing J9A last night Millennium Park side: Lights now look complete, but painting still needed at roundabout approaching MP. Overall, looks imminent.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Naas North, Dublin bound on-ramp have cones removed. Auxiliary lane between Naas North and Johnstown (Dublin bound) also open. Still 80km/h.

From passing J9A last night Millennium Park side: Lights now look complete, but painting still needed at roundabout approaching MP. Overall, looks imminent.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but according to Siac/Colas JV (email), Exit 9a will "not be opening until the Sallins bypass is finished". We're looking at an idle interchange for up to six months.

Time to put pressure on the local reps I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but according to Siac/Colas JV (email), Exit 9a will "not be opening until the Sallins bypass is finished". We're looking at an idle interchange for up to six months.

Seriously? That's ridiculous. Just stick concrete blocks over the exits not yet ready as happens anywhere else (including along the Naas bypass/link road that will feed this.

Quality project management once again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Thanks for the heads up. What about SB coming off at J9A heading left towards KG? Saw them working there late last week, surely not doing OT for something that won’t open for up to 6 months?

Thanks for the heads up. What about SB coming off at J9A heading left towards KG? Saw them working there late last week, surely not doing OT for something that won’t open for up to 6 months?

That's what I would have thought. KG side is ready. 'No plans to open the interchange' seems clear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

we're being held to ransom in the mornings by "incidents" they should buy a fleet of Chinooks to lift crashes off the road so we can get to work at a reasonable hour.

Is it phone browsing that's causing so many incidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

we're being held to ransom in the mornings by "incidents" they should buy a fleet of Chinooks to lift crashes off the road so we can get to work at a reasonable hour.

Is it phone browsing that's causing so many incidents?

Yes definitely phones a factor and many people on auto pilot after starting commute so early.
    Was a complete joke this week.
    If not a serious accident eg slight rear end tip
    Get the f**k into the hard shoulder and sort it out don’t be waiting for the guards for over an hour and hold up 10000 people trying to get to work.

Also close that new circle k after Goffs until 10am daily or put in a proper slip for merging on exit as this is causing major slowdown everyday with exiting cars pushing out onto n7.

Yes definitely phones a factor and many people on auto pilot after starting commute so early.
    Was a complete joke this week.
    If not a serious accident eg slight rear end tip
    Get the f**k into the hard shoulder and sort it out don’t be waiting for the guards for over an hour and hold up 10000 people trying to get to work.

Also close that new circle k after Goffs until 10am daily or put in a proper slip for merging on exit as this is causing major slowdown everyday with exiting cars pushing out onto n7.

:) on the subject of hard shoulder, some people are really pushing it using the hard shoulder to pass traffic to exit the n7!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolutely desperate this morning.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

looking forward to tomorrow! It's like 28 days later on friday mornings with the empty road compared to the other 4 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

looking forward to tomorrow! It's like 28 days later on friday mornings with the empty road compared to the other 4 days!

Why is that?
    People work from home on fridays ?

Stan27 wrote: »
    Why is that?
    People work from home on fridays ?

i'd say that's it, looking at a good 50kph all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah seems alot of people take friday off and it makes a big difference on the roads. Next week should be grand too with the schools off.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Yea but its like Armageddon on the way home! its actually mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I know this may sound a bit odd but its good that major tailbacks like this morning are related to RTC’s, if tailbacks like that were being caused by sheer volume alone we’re all doomed.

Ive been saying for ages, average speed cameras are the answer. There were constant accidents in the Port Tunnel which have all buy ceased since the introduction. 100kph should be enough for anyone on the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

If there was public transport from Naas I would take it, but there’s not so I have to sit on this car park for hours every single day of my life.

Tomrota wrote: »
    If there was public transport from Naas I would take it, but there’s not so I have to sit on this car park for hours every single day of my life.

it is very depressing, had some comedy during the week when i headed accross the hills of kilteel and rathcoole in a convoy of over a thousand cars! Ended heading for the N81 through brittas

• Advertisement

I know this may sound a bit odd but its good that major tailbacks like this morning are related to RTC’s, if tailbacks like that were being caused by sheer volume alone we’re all doomed.

Ive been saying for ages, average speed cameras are the answer. There were constant accidents in the Port Tunnel which have all buy ceased since the introduction. 100kph should be enough for anyone on the N7.

something tells me most of these incidents are occurring at under 20kph :)

Advertisement