Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

road_high wrote: »
    I’m from neighboring constituency and he comes across as particularly inept and clueless. Loves a good photo op piggybacking on other people’s work but zero input of his own to get things done. D reann is severely lacking in “doers” these days. Lots of dead wood only interested in the status quo and avoiding any hassle whatsoever

Spot on there RH. Good few years ago, I was on our residents association & we had some serious issues. We invited MH along to a meeting. He rocked up with Spike Nolan, and sat stone faced and gave no input.

What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trigger85

From James Lawless:

I met with @KildareCoCo on this recently -there is a bit of work to be done still on layout, signalling etc. They looked at opening it ahead of Sallins bypass but concluded against on safety grounds. The projection was that traffic would back up on motorway approaching exit ramp.

Am not 💯 convinced it’s going to be a silver bullet for Naas traffic anyways. Certainly handy for getting onto Sallins bypass or Millenium road but Naas town centre, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Trigger85 wrote: »
    From James Lawless:

I met with @KildareCoCo on this recently -there is a bit of work to be done still on layout, signalling etc. They looked at opening it ahead of Sallins bypass but concluded against on safety grounds. The projection was that traffic would back up on motorway approaching exit ramp.

Am not �� convinced it’s going to be a silver bullet for Naas traffic anyways. Certainly handy for getting onto Sallins bypass or Millenium road but Naas town centre, not so much.

So it backs up at the next junction instead? A nonsensical argument but covers their arses nicely as "Health and Safety" trumps all so no one can question any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

So it backs up at the next junction instead? A nonsensical argument but covers their arses nicely as "Health and Safety" trumps all so no one can question any further.

Well it does make sense. If there is risk of traffic backing up into the mainline, that would be a major accident risk.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Well it does make sense. If there is risk of traffic backing up into the mainline, that would be a major accident risk.

Why would the traffic level be over and above what will be there when Sallins bypass opens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

That doesn’t really make sense to me. Couldn’t possibly be much worse than Rathcoole slip road which often tails back a kilometre on the N7. The cars that would use it are currently using the other Naas exits, and they’re not backed up onto the M7, so why would this one in particular? Couldn’t be much worse with the way junction 10 is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

J12 eastbound does it every morning at rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Perhaps modelling has revealed that e.g. m7 eastbound traffic coming off j9a including Sallins/Clane traffic might block m7 westbound traffic coming off at j9a, if j9a traffic struggles to get on the ring Road at Kerry e.g. morning peak.

However a partial j9a junction opening would provide some local relief without this risk. E.g. opening up the two M7 on ramps to get Kerry and other traffic onto the motorway ASAP in evening peak.

As does J12 on the M50 in the evenings especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Happens at J10 eastbound as well, traffic on the slip heading towards Newbridge can't get by on the left due to the queue heading towards Naas. This could possibly be alleviated when J9a opens.

• Advertisement

For a moment just ask why the delay. What does anyone have to gain out of keeping the junction closed?
    Conspiracy theories like politician photo opps make no sense.
    I can only assume that if the junction without further work will result in cars queuing on the mainline, if someone makes a decision to open it and an accident occurs and someone is hurt, they will be seen at fault and everyone would be asking why it was open without the works being complete.
    So the question is what work is outstanding and why it is still not complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

The Sallins Bypass is not completed and they want to wait until that is open to take that traffic from Junction 9a. I can't comment as to whether that makes sense or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

For a moment just ask why the delay. What does anyone have to gain out of keeping the junction closed?
    I can only assume that if the junction without further work will result in cars queuing on the mainline, if someone makes a decision to open it and an accident occurs and someone is hurt, they will be seen at fault and everyone would be asking why it was open without the works being complete.

No conspiracy theory! None of us claiming there's a conspiracy other than gross incompetence, disorganised approach toward the project initiation, execution and finally completion. As someone who travels that route twice a day, I was able to see the incompetence, lack of logic and lack of common sense. When I commented last year that operators in their machines were napping at 11:00 AM, i was laughed at by some of the bots acting on behalf of the builders.
    Many of us who have commented on the progress have been mocked, ridiculed and credentials to make 'lavish' statements or to dare make comments about something we know nothing about sought!
    I still believe before the project actually commenced, average speed cameras, akin to the ones in the port tunnel should have been installed; the requirement should have been for a swift completion (at best, during last year's summer when the weather was good, days long, most builders were in their cars leaving the building site by 4 PM) and the mainline (logically) should have been completed before the work on the Sallins bypass commenced.
    Just my two pence.

Is it possible that if you saw a worker looking like they were avoiding that they were on their break and not having a canteen like office workers that they stayed in the machinery?
    Leaving at 4? That could have been for many reasons. Maybe they were on since early. Maybe they were waiting on a delivery and it was delayed so they knocked of for the day.
    And working late in the brighter summer days, why should they? Unless that was part of the original agreement.
    Even in my industry if we are behind schedule, well things get shipped late. Ask the workers to work late and you’ll be laughed at.

I’m not a bot as you call it or trying to defend anything but I have no time for most the posters in this thread whose experience is limited to driving by twice a day and making wholesale judgements about how everything is crap and everyone involved in the project is lazy or incompetent.

Maybe that’s just social media... moan moan moan

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

If this is the reason then the thought process is somewhat valid. Without the Sallins bypass being open, all traffic (including that heading for Sallins, Clane and Kilcock) will leave at J9a and go to the millennium park to circle back. They may end up queueing at peak times.

I don't really but it but I'm not the one with the models and counter data....

Snip

Even in my industry if we are behind schedule, well things get shipped late. Ask the workers to work late and you’ll be laughed at.

I’m not a bot as you call it or trying to defend anything but I have no time for most the posters in this thread whose experience is limited to driving by twice a day and making wholesale judgements about how everything is crap and everyone involved in the project is lazy or incompetent.

Maybe that’s just social media... moan moan moan

I wonder then why a 2nd shift was never introduced?

I cannot speak for the Regedit, but I am trying to see where He/She ever said You are a bot. Can I ask how often You use the M7? I also am a daily user and totally concur with Regedit about the site lying idle during those long summer days. As far as I can recall, when the M25 was constructed around London, they worked 24/7.

Also, what’s wrong about complaining on SM about the carry on on this project?

On another note, the queue to come off at J10SB this afternoon was perplexing to say the least. That J9a cannot come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I can understand why junction 9a isn't open until the bypass is complete. It's perplexing that the main roadworks are still lingering on since the three lanes 'reopened' over five months ago. There never seemed to be any impetus to get it complete. One huge bugbear of mine is the big mangled sign for the m7 about 1km from the m9 junction. It's like that about a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

regedit wrote: »
    No conspiracy theory! None of us claiming there's a conspiracy
    i was laughed at by some of the bots acting on behalf of the builders.

Sorry what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I can see the issue with jct 9a.

It would attract a lot of the Sallins and Clane traffic and it would attract traffic going to parts of the estates on the Sallins road.

It would also attract traffic going to elismore, princess gardens and probably also two mile house and Kilcullen as that traffic would be able to bypass Naas town.

Considering all that traffic would have to go via a single lane section to the roundabout in millennium Park, you can see how it could back up.

Currently that traffic mostly goes via jct 9 and it has a very long two lane stretch to take the volume.

When Sallins bypass opens, all Sallins and Clane traffic will go over the bridge, thus the traffic moving a lot more freely.

As for jct 10 northbound. The traffic line eased considerably when the two lanes opened on the overpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

I wonder do builders drive past empty offices after hours giving out the same way people give out about builders not working when they are either going to or from work??

Or do builders walk into the reception building of an office block and complain that there is only one person working without seeing the behind the scenes work??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Last Stop wrote:
    I wonder do builders drive past empty offices after hours giving out the same way people give out about builders not working when they are either going to or from work??

I've drove through the M7 roadworks for the past two years now when I had to work days, nights, weekends, Christmas day etc. If my company put the same effort in the past five months that siac have on finishing the m7 I'd be on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Speed restrictions still in place... no one heeding them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

pegasus1 wrote: »

No ones been heeding them for months since the 3 lanes opened

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Is it still 80 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

When is the Sallins bypass due for completion/opening?

I live in one of the new estates on the Sallins road and heard this week (from my neighbour, an engineer involved in this sector) that it’s pushed back to April?

I assume 9a will probably open in tandem then with the bypass, based on the info in comments above?

Thanks

IrishZeus wrote: »

I live in one of the new estates on the Sallins road and heard this week (from my neighbour, an engineer involved in this sector) that it’s pushed back to April?

I assume 9a will probably open in tandem then with the bypass, based on the info in comments above?

Thanks

Just passing on the train lately looks to be a lot of work to be done yet. Still working on the bridge structures. I couldn’t see it opening in spring going by their main line progress. More like next autumn.

Only a conspiracy theory of mine but I wonder are the contractors deliberating dragging out these issues as leverage to get their invoices paid on time? Public bodies are notoriously slow payers so they might be holding over opening until they get their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope and AGS don't seem too interested either - they had a jeep parked just after the M9 merge eastbound the other day with lots of people passing it at around 100 and not a bother*

*of course, for anyone reading this, your mileage (and outcome!) may vary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

IrishZeus wrote: »

Thanks
    April has been mentioned but also Spring - which includes May.

Surfacing the bypass has begun. Least developed area is Osberstown Road <> Canal overbridge so keep an eye on that area. But all structural works complete so basically finish the ramps, surface everything, finish and tie-ins (Sallins and Clane) which all seems achievable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Only a conspiracy theory of mine but I wonder are the contractors deliberating dragging out these issues as leverage to get their invoices paid on time? Public bodies are notoriously slow payers so they might be holding over opening until they get their money.
    I reckon an end of contract was never done... so that they now be milking it till the fat one sings..who ever that may be...

Advertisement