Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Tileman

Spoke to someone who is working on Sallins BP. He said the delay at Kerry Foods is purely due to the council not prepared to pay contractor money so they are delaying it being opened so they don't have to pay.
    He also said that bypass is scheduled for an April opening but all workers reckon it will be May.

Darc19 won’t believe you unless you give the persons full name you spoke to and their pps number so he can verify.
    Anyway sound plausible as can’t see any other reason for it. Would it not be TII who actually pay for the road though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

This will cause a bit of a headache for those who live or work in or around this area... I suppose it’s to be expected.

Press Release - Kildare County Council

R407 Sallins By-Pass Scheme
    Notification of Traffic Management Works
    (R407 (Clane Road, Sallins) lane closure)
    Please note the following temporary R407, Clane Road, Sallins, carriageway closure
    until Friday 10 January 2020;
    Between 9.30am and 3.30pm only, each day, the Clane Road, Sallins, will have one
    lane closed and traffic will be operating on a shuttle basis.
    This temporary lane closure is necessary in order to facilitate essential works on the
    R407 Sallins By-Pass project.
    Kildare County Council regrets any inconvenience caused.
    Ends 08 January 2020

Spoke to someone who is working on Sallins BP. He said the delay at Kerry Foods is purely due to the council not prepared to pay contractor money so they are delaying it being opened so they don't have to pay.
    The entire scheme is being centrally funded, it isn't coming out of Kildare CoCo's coffers. It will also have a schedule of payments (both based on time and on completion), and Kildare CoCo won't be able to avoid payments just because they refuse to. That opens themselves up to legal liability and if the scuttlebutt were true, SIAC would already have started legal action.

There's nothing wrong with repeating scuttlebutt, but the problem with scuttlebutt is it's usually wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

He also said that bypass is scheduled for an April opening but all workers reckon it will be May.

I've had an email from the council which stated they are awaiting a road safety audit from the contractor before they can approve the opening.

I had an email from Colas/SIAC saying they are not opening until Sallins BP is complete in the Spring.

Both emails were posted to this thread and the consensus was that if only one side of J9a opened then all traffic for Millennium park and Sallins/Clane would exit to this one side and end up queueing back into the motorway at peak times due to the millennium park road all ready being busy at these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Both emails were posted to this thread and the consensus was that if only one side of J9a opened then all traffic for Millennium park and Sallins/Clane would exit to this one side and end up queueing back into the motorway at peak times due to the millennium park road all ready being busy at these times.
    And what’s to stop this happening when the junction actually opens? The sallins bypass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Tomrota wrote: »
    And what’s to stop this happening when the junction actually opens? The sallins bypass?

Yes. Millennium road backs up because of traffic queuing to get into Sallins. The Bypass will remove that queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Exactly, the bulk of the traffic coming off there will be heading for Sallins/Clane/Prosperous and will go on to the bypass rather than towards Naas, or at least enough to reduce the risk of major queues on the Millennium Road

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Because when fully open the Sallins/Clane traffic will exit the motorway and cross over it to use the bypass. Millennium Park and Naas traffic will exist and keep left.

If they opened it now, both sets of drivers would exit left, hence the queueing onto Millennium Park road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭traco

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I've had an email from the council which stated they are awaiting a road safety audit from the contractor before they can approve the opening.

Junction 9a looks a lot safer than the new 10.

10 has no barriers, broken kerbs, cones blocking off lanes at certain times and not others with workers still actively working on it. No way would I consider it a safe junction - you really want to be paying attention on it and previous posters have confirmed some of the events that have occurred on it due to its "implied safe" status.

Can't see how the council can make a statement about safety given the actual reality of the current state of the two junctions. However it is the Co Co we are talking about so once they get their rates what do they care. I've sent numerous letters with photos to the road safety engineers and its been a complete waste of time. Zero responsibility or action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

For many reasons, contractual mainly - that cannot be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

traco wrote: »
    Junction 9a looks a lot safer than the new 10.

10 has no barriers, broken kerbs, cones blocking off lanes at certain times and not others with workers still actively working on it. No way would I consider it a safe junction - you really want to be paying attention on it and previous posters have confirmed some of the events that have occurred on it due to its "implied safe" status.

Can't see how the council can make a statement about safety given the actual reality of the current state of the two junctions. However it is the Co Co we are talking about so once they get their rates what do they care. I've sent numerous letters with photos to the road safety engineers and its been a complete waste of time. Zero responsibility or action taken.

10 is a mess (I use it regularly).. uneven, minimal lighting at night which is even more important given the unfinished nature of it, weird curves/entrances on the roundabout, and once again a prime example of the shoddy workmanship that typifies this project (as I've previously said - see also the ridiculously bad curve and markings at the M9 junction if continuing on the M7)

I fully expect that within 12 months or so of it FINALLY being "finished", they'll be back to fix this stuff (at more expense and disruption of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I drove from Naas to Newbridge and Newbridge and to M7 south bound one evening last week during rush hour and in particularly bad rain and in that time 3 people stoped in front of me in and around top of j10 , one car swung off course last second when they released they were heading wrong way and a bus heading for M7 nearly took out a focus who was heading same direction.
    I use it a couple of times most weeks but always during the day and even I didn’t feel full confidence navigating It ...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Not sure if I’m posting this in the correct thread.. Wondering what time I would need to be leaving Naas at to get to Sandyford at 9.30? Would be driving. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

lfen wrote: »
    Not sure if I’m posting this in the correct thread.. Wondering what time I would need to be leaving Naas at to get to Sandyford at 9.30? Would be driving. Thanks

I'd leave at 8.30.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Depends on the day. If monday I would leave at 8. Any other day 8.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

If you’re specifically referring to tomorrow, given the storm I’d leave as early as you can. Better to be early and sitting in your car than late sitting in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I work in Sandyford. If I leave at 8:30, I'm in work for 9:15. Obviously a crash badly affects that, but they don't happen too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I drove past 9a the other day again and I really really do think you could use it at the moment. You can easily fit a car around the barriers and just chance it!

If you’re specifically referring to tomorrow, given the storm I’d leave as early as you can. Better to be early and sitting in your car than late sitting in traffic

We are considering buying a house in Naas so wanted to do our research on commute times. I could start at either 9.30 or 10 so from the replies, it sounds like we would need to allow an hour minimum. That sound about right?

I work in Sandyford. If I leave at 8:30, I'm in work for 9:15. Obviously a crash badly affects that, but they don't happen too often.

Just saw your reply. That’s more reassuring. 45 minutes I could do..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

We are considering buying a house in Naas so wanted to do our research on commute times. I could start at either 9.30 or 10 so from the replies, it sounds like we would need to allow an hour minimum. That sound about right?

Try post in the Naas thread in the Kildare forum, more likely to get a good answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Surely the easiest thing is put the trip into Google Maps around the same time each day. I do the Naas-Sandyford commute at an earlier time and always find the N7/M50 route is spot on in terms of duration and arrival time.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Surely the easiest thing is put the trip into Google Maps around the same time each day. I do the Naas-Sandyford commute at an earlier time and always find the N7/M50 route is spot on in terms of duration and arrival time.

I have done but it gives a huge variance, from 28 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes. Usually you’ll get a 10 minute or so variance so thought I’d ask the boards folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I have done but it gives a huge variance, from 28 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes. Usually you’ll get a 10 minute or so variance so thought I’d ask the boards folk.

You've no chance of doing it in 28 minutes at rush hour.
    Google map it at rush hour and see what it is.
    I'd say you're looking at an hour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You've no chance of doing it in 28 minutes at rush hour.
    Google map it at rush hour and see what it is.
    I'd say you're looking at an hour.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

what in divine mother of jaysus happened this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

what in divine mother of jaysus happened this morning?

Multiple vehicle collision. Not surprising considerng how people use our roads

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pinch Flat wrote: »

goes to show how over used the m7 is, the fact that every road off it became a no go area this morning and the easiest route was to just sit it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Tell me about it! I go the back roads anyway cause traffic is to bad heard about the crash used sat nav for the fastest route took me up back roads in Rathcoole everyone got struck with traffic coming the opposite way. It was like a scene from Falling Down.. Took me 2 hrs 30 mins to get to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Pinch Flat wrote: »

With the amount of people using this road at this stage and the unbelievable that is not some sort of a more rapid response to clearing accidents on our main arteries, M4, M50 , M7. With those delays today, most people I encountered were delayed for approx 1.5 hrs , that must have an albiet small , an effect on the economy.
    I appreciate whoever , if someone is hurt well then that does not matter , but purely for the fender benders from idiots on phones and without being sexist, I spotted 3 women fully applying make-up while driving last Thursday on my commute. One was actually applying something on her eyes using 2 hands while doing approx 95-100 on the M9. I wish I had applied for the Garda when I was yournger.

Advertisement