Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Anyone else notice a flurry of activity around 9A ... some signs are showing the exit with clane and Sallins covered but millennium park and Kerry foods uncovered, hadn’t noticed this before. I seen a few lights turned on today around the top of junction but were off on my return journey maybe testing them.
    Am I being over optimistic in hoping they might see sense and open it sooner than planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

harr wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a flurry of activity around 9A ... some signs are showing the exit with clane and Sallins covered but millennium park and Kerry foods uncovered, hadn’t noticed this before. I seen a few lights turned on today around the top of junction but were off on my return journey maybe testing them.
    Am I being over optimistic in hoping they might see sense and open it sooner than planned.
    There's an election coming up :):)

Also the overnight closure of the jct10 overpass has been brought forward to tonight.

Darc19 wrote: »
    There's an election coming up :):)

Also the overnight closure of the jct10 overpass has been brought forward to tonight.
    I had taught of that and it has been mentioned before on the thread :|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I also saw flashing beacons coming home last night on the Sallies side of the bridge, indicating there was someone working there - it was dark so had no way of knowing how many were there or what work they were doing.

My imagination or are those 2 ramps getting rougher coming off at J10 heading for Newbridge? The condition at the first 2 roundabouts are disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

J10 finally being brought up to scratch????

M7 Naas-Newbridge By-Pass Upgrade Notification of Overnight Traffic Management Works (R445 closures and diversions – week commencing Monday 27 January 2020)

Please note the following temporary overnight (10.00pm to 5.00am) R445 carriageway closures and diversions commencing Monday, 27 January 2020

Monday, 27 January

Parts of both the Naas inbound and outbound carriageways of the R445 on approach to the new M7 south roundabout and the Bundle of Sticks roundabout will be closed for surfacing works. The M7 Westbound on-slip will be closed - motorists are advised to follow diversions and use Junction 9 (Naas North)

Tuesday, 28 January

The Naas inbound carriageway of the R445 between the new M7 north and south roundabouts will be closed for surfacing works. The M7 Westbound off-slip at Junction 10 will be closed – motorists are advised to use Junction 9 (Naas North) for Naas and follow diversions.

Wednesday, 29 January

The Naas outbound carriageway of the R445 from the Bundle of Sticks roundabout to the new north roundabout will be closed for surfacing works. The M7 Westbound on- slip will be closed – motorists are advised to follow diversions and use Junction 9 (Naas North)

For all closures, traffic will be diverted locally between the Ladytown Crossing, along the Newbridge Road and the Bundle of Sticks Roundabout to access Naas, Newbridge. All slips will remain open unless noted above.

Each carriageway will be reopened before 5am on the following morning.

These temporary closures are necessary in order to facilitate essential works on the M7 Upgrade project.

Kildare County Council regrets any inconvenience caused.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/M7Naas-NewbridgeBy-PassUpgradeNotificationofOvernightTrafficManagementWorksR445closuresanddiversionsweekcommencingMonday27January2020.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Took a little spin today. Nothing significant to report. Incremental improvements throughout Sallins bypass at all interfaces. Osberstown overbridge deck and barriers installed, east ramp kerbed and ready for tarring and connecting to existing canal road. West ramp still needs to be built up. So too does Canal Bridge Southern ramp as far as I could tell. Thinking back, signage may be suggesting that the Osberstown overbridge area will be shutdown for ~February for the tie-in works. Then bypass mainline up to Canal bridge can be constructed.

Looks like a serious accident northbound before jct 9 this morning.

Traffic at a standstill for several km.

Avoid if at all possible.

Had a drive yesterday. 2 pics below, Second is the underpass where the railway goes over the top, first is where the Osberstown road (minor) will we realigned.over the new road. One thing is obvious. This is not opening early spring!

501131.jpg

501132.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Had a drive yesterday. 2 pics below, Second is the underpass where the railway goes over the top, first is where the Osberstown road (minor) will we realigned.over the new road. One thing is obvious. This is not opening early spring!

501132.jpg

Thanks for the photos BuzzFish. That was my first reaction when I saw the photos-even without reading your comment. This will not open early spring. Hopefully it opens up by September.
    They should have invited a Chinese company to build the whole thing. We'd have it done in 6 months no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You sure about the "no problems" part?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

regedit wrote: »
    Thanks for the photos BuzzFish. That was my first reaction when I saw the photos-even without reading your comment. This will not open early spring. Hopefully it opens up by September.
    They should have invited a Chinese company to build the whole thing. We'd have it done in 6 months no problems.

We have labour, planning and health and safety laws in this country and definitely don't allow slave labour, so no we wouldn't have had it done in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Are there any examples in Europe of the famous "Bring in a chinese company" to build major infrastructure?

I know there's a lot of investment and co-ventures (like Hinkley Point C in the UK). But are there any literal examples of a chinese company taking 100% responsibility for the delivery of a project? If so was it done in 1% of the time and at minus cost, as often claimed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭prunudo

We have labour, planning and health and safety laws in this country and definitely don't allow slave labour, so no we wouldn't have had it done in 6 months.

Have to laugh at most of the reaction on social media to that Chinese hospital story. Amazing how people can be blinded by hype and believing what they want to. Anything to bash this country and the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Build it in 6 months??? Are we not dealing with the legacy of cheap builders across Ireland, whether it is , appartments, houses or roads. Look at the road around Kill when it is pouring rain, poor drainage, you can't see the road markings, it's awful. I'd sooner they took their time and built it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Build it in 6 months??? Are we not dealing with the legacy of cheap builders across Ireland, whether it is , appartments, houses or roads. Look at the road around Kill when it is pouring rain, poor drainage, you can't see the road markings, it's awful. I'd sooner they took their time and built it properly

If parts of the mainline and J10 is any indication, there's no guarantee that the finished product will be any better.

It just takes longer.

So, they are building a large bridge in Southern Croatia at present (https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d774d3567444f33457a6333566d54/index.html) and they simply won the tender for the job. The EU is funding the project and from what I can see, they are way ahead of schedule.

Chinese company is a metaphor brought forward out of bitterness for the complexity the current builders have added but why not get a French or German company to tender. The road surface may be smoother, less mishaps and they would have probably completed the job in half the time

Any employment of foreign workers would mean they would have to adhere to EU/Irish employment laws
    In the second part of your post, you are negating yourself as the builders took ample time to deliver a sh*** end product (you state that yourself). Just look at the design of J10
    prunudo wrote: »
    Have to laugh at most of the reaction on social media to that Chinese hospital story. Amazing how people can be blinded by hype and believing what they want to. Anything to bash this country and the powers that be.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51245156
    This is not meant to be a 5* hospital but a quarantene hospital with probably tents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

why not get a French or German company to tender. The road surface may be smoother, less mishaps and they would have probably completed the job in half the time

The grass is always greener. I've met French people who thought our roads are better than the areas they live in. And look at Berlin Brandenburg Airport.

but why not get a French or German company to tender. The road surface may be smoother, less mishaps and they would have probably completed the job in half the time

Tenders are open to everyone.

Just like all projects over a certain value.

And Colas (the joint partners) are French.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JohnC. wrote: »
    The grass is always greener. I've met French people who thought our roads are better than the areas they live in. And look at Berlin Brandenburg Airport.

I’ve had English colleagues compliment the quality of our motorways. Also a hell of a lot less congested and easier to use than theirs I guess

• Advertisement

Somewhat related to roadworks ..so coming from Newbridge to Naas and a Q of traffic in left lane coming up to the bundle of sticks ... a lot of cars flying up right lane heading towards roundabout but a lot also heading for Naas ...so two lanes coming from Newbridge trying to get into one lane on Naas side. A lot of near road rage and a number of near misses where cars are coming together.
    Should Newbridge road not have road markings indicating left lane Naas only...
    Huge delays daily now heading from Newbridge to Naas ..

Somewhat related to roadworks ..so coming from Newbridge to Naas and a Q of traffic in left lane coming up to the bundle of sticks ... a lot of cars flying up right lane heading towards roundabout but a lot also heading for Naas ...so two lanes coming from Newbridge trying to get into one lane on Naas side. A lot of near road rage and a number of near misses where cars are coming together.
    Should Newbridge road not have road markings indicating left lane Naas only...
    Huge delays daily now heading from Newbridge to Naas ..

If the road markings were visible, then both lanes would be entitled to go through the roundabout to Naas with a merge about 30 meters past the entry.

Even gardai use the right lane for heading to Naas.

A phenomenal number of people just don't understand roundabouts.

It's the same at the new lidl warehouse roundabout. Most cars use the left lane for Newbridge despite it being at about 240 degrees and exit 3, (exit 2 is closed off) and if going by best practice, the right approach lane should be used.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

but why not get a French or German company to tender. The road surface may be smoother, less mishaps and they would have probably completed the job in half the time
    Because that would be illegal. It has to be an open competition.

Darc19 wrote: »
    If the road markings were visible, then both lanes would be entitled to go through the roundabout to Naas with a merge about 30 meters past the entry.

Even gardai use the right lane for heading to Naas.

A phenomenal number of people just don't understand roundabouts.

It's the same at the new lidl warehouse roundabout. Most cars use the left lane for Newbridge despite it being at about 240 degrees and exit 3, (exit 2 is closed off) and if going by best practice, the right approach lane should be used.

While I somewhat agree, traffic coming into Naas from Newbridge tends to stick to the left and queue. Anyone using the right knows well that they are skipping the queue and that they are being rude to other road users. Sometimes there are the rules... sometimes there is just common courtesy. There is no real advantage to using two lanes and merging in terms of improved traffic flow. Its a bottleneck either way.

I agree the markings should be reflective one way other the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

While I somewhat agree, traffic coming into Naas from Newbridge tends to stick to the left and queue. Anyone using the right knows well that they are skipping the queue and that they are being rude to other road users. Sometimes there are the rules... sometimes there is just common courtesy. There is no real advantage to using two lanes and merging in terms of improved traffic flow. Its a bottleneck either way.

The markings should be updated so that the right lane is for straight on and the left lane is for the Rathangan Road. Very few people will be turning right at that roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Chinese companies did a lot of work in Poland stadia and roads?
    What happened to the Turkish company who were always on schedule, they still have an office in Santry.
    My memory not great but I seem to recall them being picketed by staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Back to 120kmh Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MaceFace wrote: »

there was a speed limit :eek:

• Advertisement

I fully agree as traffic tends to queue from the lidl roundabout.
    But courtesy is lacking by many drivers

Advertisement