Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Was looking at the press release when the contract was awarded to the successful bidders and it states
    The award of today’s contract with SIAC/Colas JV commences one of the most significant road schemes contained in the Government’s Building on Recovery Programme. This contract consists of three major elements and is scheduled for full completion early 2020:
    Wondering what the interpretation of early 2020 is(for the whole job). Is it March or 30 May2020? Does anyone have access to the contract?
    Martin Heydon's website states:
    “Based on the award of this contract, it is anticipated that the overall project will be completed by Spring 2020 with the M7 anticipated to be completed by Autumn 2019. This scheme represents an overall investment of €110m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

regedit wrote: »
    Was looking at the press release when the contract was awarded to the successful bidders and it states

Wondering what the interpretation of early 2020 is(for the whole job). Is it March or 30 May2020? Does anyone have access to the contract?
    Martin Heydon's website states:

All due respects, but I would take anything Haydon says with a pinch of salt.

I'm not kidding. About 6 months after he was elected the first time I got caught the same . Him ambling along in overtaking lane with 6 cars behind him. I was the third in line and the lad behind him flashed him and he brake checked him twice. Second time was severe enough. Asshat

In defence of the HR'S ( IF that is at all possible ) I honestly don't know why they built the 3rd lane. I see artics cruising in the middle lane, coaches glued to the 3rd outside lane, and an empty inner lane. It's a joke how Irish registered vehicles treat a Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

In defence of the HR'S ( IF that is at all possible ) I honestly don't know why they built the 3rd lane. I see artics cruising in the middle lane, coaches glued to the 3rd outside lane, and an empty inner lane. It's a joke how Irish registered vehicles treat a Motorway.

Sheer volume and closeness of junctions to each other i would imagine. The M50 suffers from this too. If your in the leftmost lane, you'll likely need to move out to let people in from notorious spots like Blanch.

Solveable by reducing the traffic with more options like bus and rail. Sadly the only solution that will happen is the upcoming recession. No traffic if jobs aint plentiful

Sheer volume and closeness of junctions to each other i would imagine. The M50 suffers from this too. If your in the leftmost lane, you'll likely need to move out to let people in from notorious spots like Blanch.

Solveable by reducing the traffic with more options like bus and rail. Sadly the only solution that will happen is the upcoming recession. No traffic if jobs aint plentiful[/QUOTE]

Not argueing with you, but this is solveable by people adhering to the rules of the road. What has close junctions got to do with coaches speeding down the outside lane? I say speeding but am not sure what speed they are doing. Why are artics stuck in the middle lane? I drove up this morning on the inside lane, and nearly had it to myself from J10 to J9.

None of these manners of driving has anything to do with junctions...besides one of the junctions is closed, so the other 2 are almost the same distance apart as they were before the 'upgrade' commenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gilly1910

They need to do what they do on UK motorways, where access to the motorway exits is blocked off from about 500 metres prior to the actual exit with fixed cones (not sure if they're actually called cones), and this prevents that wonderful Irish motorway skill of cutting across three lanes at the last second in order to reach your motorway exit. We also should have a permanent traffic Police presence on our busiest motorways during peak hour times, so that would be the M50, M7 and M1. It might also cut out the horrific excuse for driving that we all see on a regular basis, and these fender benders that seem to take forever to clear, might just be moved on a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Love how everyone knows the rules of the road on here, how does it not transfer into reality on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Solveable by reducing the traffic with more options like bus and rail. Sadly the only solution that will happen is the upcoming recession. No traffic if jobs aint plentiful[/QUOTE]

Not argueing with you, but this is solveable by people adhering to the rules of the road. What has close junctions got to do with coaches speeding down the outside lane? I say speeding but am not sure what speed they are doing. Why are artics stuck in the middle lane? I drove up this morning on the inside lane, and nearly had it to myself from J10 to J9.

enforcement is the problem. guards are regularly guilty of this.

None of these manners of driving has anything to do with junctions...besides one of the junctions is closed, so the other 2 are almost the same distance apart as they were before the 'upgrade' commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Story with the surface water, I thought the m9 was bad but N7 upgrade is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

tom1ie wrote: »
    What has close junctions got to do with coaches speeding down the outside lane? I say speeding but am not sure what speed they are doing. Why are artics stuck in the middle lane?
    Of course close junctions have an effect. If the junctions are too close together, people are less inclined to stay in the leftmost lane if they are constantly having to move out and in to accommodate joining traffic. And in the case of the N7 part of the road, the junctions are way too close together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

My memory is a tad hazy but before the "upgrade", wasn't the southbound M9 slip/junction much more efficient and safer? Now all M9 must pile into the third lane of the M7 and wait for it to fan out back into two lanes on the M9. Seem to remember before this they had an outer lane added plus the turn off from the M7 ? Never remember it like it is now.

I'm probably describing it in very lay language but we're going to see cracks and potholes soon. I was driving for the week-end from Naas to Kildare Village and the road was wet. Nothing too bad but wet in a way that you could see imperfections. As if though there's a thin lawyer of asphalt in some sections so less dense lawyer which will allow for water ingress and damaged road surface. I hope whoever does the takeover spends time looking at the work and stings the builders for taking time to deliver a very imperfect final result. The quality of the road was very good when it was a 2 lane road-probably one of the better in the country (used it 5 days a week). How someone manages to destroy something that's very good is mind boggling!

regedit wrote: »
    I'm probably describing it in very lay language but we're going to see cracks and potholes soon. I was driving for the week-end from Naas to Kildare Village and the road was wet. Nothing too bad but wet in a way that you could see imperfections. As if though there's a thin lawyer of asphalt in some sections so less dense lawyer which will allow for water ingress and damaged road surface. I hope whoever does the takeover spends time looking at the work and stings the builders for taking time to deliver a very imperfect final result. The quality of the road was very good when it was a 2 lane road-probably one of the better in the country (used it 5 days a week). How someone manages to destroy something that's very good is mind boggling!

Speakingof which....Coming home tonight, a nasty pothole has developed just before the J9A exit southbound on the innermost lane.

Only open a short while, and here it starts. Disgraceful workmanship.

Speakingof which....Coming home tonight, a nasty pothole has developed just before the J9A exit southbound on the innermost lane.

Only open a short while, and here it starts. Disgraceful workmanship.

That's where I saw the damage I was referring to in my previous post!
    Must be the first in the world-road nt handed over and has already developed potholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Any update on the likely date for the opening of the Sallins by-pass yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Nope. Summer I think was the most recent official word.

Surfacing of bypass advanced in the last 2 weeks - e.g. looks like just final layer to go on the new road that links into Sallins village.
    Intersection at Clane and section around Railway line being progressed.
    Didn't notice much progress recently on the West ramp to Osberstown overbridge and the South ramp up to Canal bridge...seems like works waiting on something.

PS significant complete and partial road closures at North end of Clane Main Street in coming weeks. A summary at
    http://clanecommunity.ie/2020/02/significant-works-in-clane-irish-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭champchamp

It's Summer now and it's still not open :pac::pac::pac:

What excuses will they come up with now? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭pad199207

champchamp wrote: »
    It's Summer now and it's still not open :pac::pac::pac:

What excuses will they come up with now? ;)

I walk past the New Millennium Interchange everyday. Such a wasteland now and a perfectly good junction. Although no traffic around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Took a walk along the Sallins bypass - access is pretty easy from the link road near Lidl.

On the face of it it is well along towards completion but I'd say there still seems to be a good bit of work needed to finish it off. Most of it has at least one layer of tarmac laid but the road between the canal and motorway barely looks done.

The paths and cycle tracks haven't been laid, although it looks like a cycle track is formed from the bypass down to the canal to join up with the proposed greenway.

Also the path/cycle lane on the bypass looks like it will be on one side only (village side) judging by how the road has been laid over the two Liffey bridges.

Views of the Liffey are lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭champchamp

Took a walk along the Sallins bypass - access is pretty easy from the link road near Lidl.

On the face of it it is well along towards completion but I'd say there still seems to be a good bit of work needed to finish it off. Most of it has at least one layer of tarmac laid but the road between the canal and motorway barely looks done.

The paths and cycle tracks haven't been laid, although it looks like a cycle track is formed from the bypass down to the canal to join up with the proposed greenway.

Also the path/cycle lane on the bypass looks like it will be on one side only (village side) judging by how the road has been laid over the two Liffey bridges.

Views of the Liffey are lovely though.

Any photos?

• Advertisement

No photos I'm afraid - if I'm up there again I'll take some.

Builders may be back from the 18th so that will hopefully help with completion works

https://imgur.com/a/qgmtUGH

Never posted a picture before so not sure if doing this right.

I went up again and took a few...if this works I'll post a few more up tomorrow. This is a photo of the Sallins bypass at the Liffey crossing heading to Clane.

https://i.imgur.com/Vt2SQ2a.jpg

First bridge over the Liffey from Leinster aqueduct.

https://i.imgur.com/0QjGr4T.jpg

Bridge over canal. To the right is towards motorway and no earth works done linking up to bridge.

https://i.imgur.com/EtXlvmW.jpg

What I assume will be a cycle lane from canal up to bypass.

https://i.imgur.com/LROdnd8.jpg

View of the Liffey from first bridge.

https://i.imgur.com/OUhbCE7.jpg

Link road into Sallins from the roundabout.

https://i.imgur.com/b7Utgut.jpg

Halfway through the bypass at the approach to roundabout coming from Clane...left to Sallins and straight on for motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eugyoung

Thanks for the picture well done

Advertisement