Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

There were two workers at Clane road junction today - seemed to be looking at signage .. Obviously this is a good sign for works starting on the project again next week.

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    There were two workers at Clane road junction today - seemed to be looking at signage .. Obviously this is a good sign for works starting on the project again next week.
    Yep! that's a good sign. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

While walking by the canal over the I noticed that some machinery had been moved back onto the Sallins bypass but were parked up.

Anyone seeing signs of life of actual building work...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

While walking by the canal over the I noticed that some machinery had been moved back onto the Sallins bypass but were parked up.

Not sure if what I saw is linked in with what you saw: This evening coming SB on the M7, I see signs for 'site access only' at j9a, Also saw workers working on the slip there ( moving cones ), and also machinery moving at the top of the slips on the NB side.

Maybe something different, maybe not.

Not sure if what I saw is linked in with what you saw: This evening coming SB on the M7, I see signs for 'site access only' at j9a, Also saw workers working on the slip there ( moving cones ), and also machinery moving at the top of the slips on the NB side.

Maybe something different, maybe not.

Different part of the bypass so hopefully there's a move on to get this finished. Equipment I saw while walking by the canal was up near the roundabout on the sallins bypass.....that road doesn't connect to the motorway section yet as the bridge over the canal still needs earthworks to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Took a spin down from Sallins to Digby bridge and there was machinery working away in the underpass before the Trainline on Naas side. Lots of cars parked up near Trainline underpass also so workers are back for sure.

Construction work on the Sallins bypass is definitely back alright.

Saw workers and machinery working on the Clane Road roundabout end and also around the railway underpass towards the Kerry Group end.

Hopefully they throw proper resources at it now to finish it - plenty of daylight now to really get a move on if the will is there. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Am I imagining things or is Jct 10 rebuild still not fully open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

spacetweek wrote: »

Imagining it.

It's been fully open for a while.

A vehicle did try and take a shortcut through the roundabout at top of the Southbound off ramp - maybe they were reinstalling the directional sign that was flattened and reduced the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Do you mean 9A (the new exit at the Kerry Group? If so, that one isn't open yet and wont open until the Sallins bypass isn't finished

• Advertisement

Sorry, but You are imagining it. As Regedit says, I think You are mixing J10 with J9A.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Darc19 wrote: »
    Imagining it.

It's been fully open for a while.
    Sorry, but You are imagining it. As Regedit says, I think You are mixing J10 with J9A.

(Yes I am talking about 10, not 9A.)

Thanks - didn't see the opening of that one mentioned on thread, though I was reading it closely. Any idea when it was finished? Must have been pre-lockdown?
    When I say finished I mean the completion of the new roundabouts etc.

(Yes I am talking about 10, not 9A.)

Thanks - didn't see the opening of that one mentioned on thread, though I was reading it closely. Any idea when it was finished? Must have been pre-lockdown?
    When I say finished I mean the completion of the new roundabouts etc.

It didn't open fully at once. Initially there was one lane and that made traffic from Naas worse and then finally both lanes were opened and traffic abated almost immediately.

I think it was end of January, just before the election :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Darc19 wrote: »
    It didn't open fully at once. Initially there was one lane and that made traffic from Naas worse and then finally both lanes were opened and traffic abated almost immediately.

I think it was end of January, just before the election :D

Last I was up there that roundabout was a disaster for traffic trying to get off the M7 inbound and even just getting through it.

Has that improved? We're far too fond of roundabouts in this country and they just don't work with heavy traffic (Newbridge is the same inbound)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Last I was up there that roundabout was a disaster for traffic trying to get off the M7 inbound and even just getting through it.

Has that improved? We're far too fond of roundabouts in this country and they just don't work with heavy traffic (Newbridge is the same inbound)

It has improved, I think. Hard to judge actually with all the CV19 crap ongoing.

Coming south on the M7 and exiting at J10, one needs to know exactly where they are going, especially heading for Newbridge. You go around a roundabout and almost immediately, there is an exit to go back onto the M7 SB, whose exit is almost right beside the exit to head on for Newbridge.

If traffic was at normal levels, I would say there'd still be some issues.
    But a lot of the traffic is for Millennium Park, so jct 9a should rid jct 10 of any issues.

It has improved, I think. Hard to judge actually with all the CV19 crap ongoing.

Coming south on the M7 and exiting at J10, one needs to know exactly where they are going, especially heading for Newbridge. You go around a roundabout and almost immediately, there is an exit to go back onto the M7 SB, whose exit is almost right beside the exit to head on for Newbridge.

Yep.. its the same with J9 south if you're coming from the retail park. Hard left turn onto the M7 that's far too close to the exit beside it.

Then there's the sharp bend coming off it on the other side.

I won't even mention some of the short 90 degree exits once you get into Tipp southbound.

No good news here unfortunately, and still no hint at a completion date/season/year!
    https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/557861/no-early-opening-for-sallins-bypass-junction-exit.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mainline is still a mess also. Signage still incomplete at the M9 exit westbound and plenty of other bits still out of place.

2.5 years since the first speed limit orders were published on the mainline.

marno21 wrote: »
    Mainline is still a mess also. Signage still incomplete at the M9 exit westbound and plenty of other bits still out of place.

2.5 years since the first speed limit orders were published on the mainline.

So true. Really shabbiness Niall but name.

Also wonder just what progress has been done lately on the Sallins by-pass?

Surely at SOME stage penalties must kick in? Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Has anyone seen updates on the bypass or 9a opening? Surely they’ve been able to work at full tilt the past couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

speedfreak wrote: »
    Has anyone seen updates on the bypass or 9a opening? Surely they’ve been able to work at full tilt the past couple of months.

Just fired off an email to SIAC, I'll let you know if they get back to me

speedfreak wrote: »

I have driven past the few intersections between current roads and the bypass on a few occasions since they recommenced work. To an untrained eye, it looks to me like they have nothing at all done since apart from starting a roundabout on the Clane road which they have been working on for weeks at this stage - and it still looks like a hole in the ground!
    The underpass that was built by Iarnrod Eireann contractors over one weekend in Easter 2018 (nearly 2.5 years ago!) still looks like it did Easter Monday 2018!! This whole project has been a disaster from the start and no responsibility being taken anyone in power! (although I'm sure the politicians will still rush for the photo op when it does open and spin it out like it was some achievement!
    Regarding junction 9a, the story on link I provided a few posts back stated that it will not open until the bypass opens - but it gave no clue as to when that may be! Hopefully riddlinrussell will get some response and information from SIAC ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    The underpass that was built by Iarnrod Eireann contractors over one weekend in Easter 2018 (nearly 2.5 years ago!) still looks like it did Easter Monday 2018!!

Having driven by that area on a number of occasions in the past week or so, you can see that quite a lot of work has been done lately on both sides of that new railway underpass. The earthworks up onto the canal overpass on one side, and on the bridge over the back road on the other have both progressed very well since the contractors came back to work.

I do agree though that it is taking far too long. At this stage we could have had a Luas line out here!!

I will be interested to see what SIAC have to say. They're not blameless in this either...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Had a look at the M7 New bridge/ Naas upgrade site. There is a new random video posted on August 6th 2020. New drone footage of completed Junction 9A and progress of Sallins Bypass.

Site now stating completion date for Sallins bypass and 9A opening is end of October 2020. Quote and video link below

Following Site reopening after Covid 19 lockdown, works have resumed under strict compliance with Government Protocols. Programmed completion date for Sallins Bypass is now scheduled for end of October 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoY1VT2IqTg

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Had a look at the M7 New bridge/ Naas upgrade site. There is a new random video posted on August 6th 2020. New drone footage of completed Junction 9A and progress of Sallins Bypass.

Site now stating completion date for Sallins bypass and 9A opening is end of October 2020. Quote and video link below

Following Site reopening after Covid 19 lockdown, works have resumed under strict compliance with Government Protocols. Programmed completion date for Sallins Bypass is now scheduled for end of October 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoY1VT2IqTg

Good find on the video.....good to see that they are at least seeing a finish date this year.....although ridiculously late!

Good find on the video.....good to see that they are at least seeing a finish date this year.....although ridiculously late!

Yep - although the ridiculously happy/cheerful music overlaid onto it made me just think "get on with finishing the f*cking thing or at least open the sections by the M7 that are obviously complete"

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Yep - although the ridiculously happy/cheerful music overlaid onto it made me just think "get on with finishing the f*cking thing or at least open the sections by the M7 that are obviously complete"

And patch the potholes! A good few such already which for me is unseen (with teh project likely not even been handed over to KCC or the NRA)
    When I complained on the quality of workmanship before, I was told other countries complaining on the finish of

regedit wrote: »
    I was told other countries complaining on the finish of

What are you trying to say here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Just fired off an email to SIAC, I'll let you know if they get back to me

Never heard back from them for the record, possibly might have pushed them to give the update on their site though? :P

Advertisement