Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

I drove through it this morning, and stuck to the 60 between the cameras, I was the only one.
    It is dangerous having the speed limit at 60.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

rameire wrote: »
    I drove through it this morning, and stuck to the 60 between the cameras, I was the only one.
    It is dangerous having the speed limit at 60.
    Patww79 wrote: »

I think many drivers think the av speed cameras are where the signs are and then think that as the signs have ended, they are out of the area when in fact they haven't reached the area yet.

They certainly won't be targeting motorists at 62 / 63kmh - I'll have to try and find out, but I would suspect that it will be at least 70kmh and possibly 80kmh.

I would also guess that they are not live yet and this is testing traffic flow before the holiday season is over and the real traffic returns - If it means far less accidents in the morings which cause inordinate delay and I can travel at a constant 60kmh from M9 junction to junction 10 at 8am in the morning, then I'll be happy.

I have sent an email to kildare coco. The Garda traffic. Kfm. And transport infastructure ireland this morning advising them i think the limit is too low and its dangerous.
    Kfm wanted to speak about it so announced out on the radio.
    And kildare coco have sent it for review to the Speed limit team and safety department team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I have sent an email to kildare coco. The Garda traffic. Kfm. And transport infastructure ireland this morning advising them i think the limit is too low and its dangerous.
    Kfm wanted to speak about it so announced out on the radio.
    And kildare coco have sent it for review to the Speed limit team and safety department team.

I'd say your email will not lead to change. This reflects laziness on the part of rule makers. What road works need is the possibility of imposing a 60 kph limit when particular work is taking place, without leaving it in place for the entire duration of the works. Modern electronic signs can be used to change this. But, as far as I aware, the legal provision for this does not exist, so they just put the lowest limit all along. This is ridiculous, of course, especially as the contractors will clear off for 2 weeks at Christmas etc, but leave the speedlimit in place all along.

The Gardaí have now responded, saying they have forwarded the concern onto the Chief Super in the Naas Garda Station.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The Gardaí have now responded, saying they have forwarded the concern onto the Chief Super in the Naas Garda Station.
    Did they say whether they have started enforcing it?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Did they say whether they have started enforcing it?

No. They haven't

I'd say your email will not lead to change. This reflects laziness on the part of rule makers. What road works need is the possibility of imposing a 60 kph limit when particular work is taking place, without leaving it in place for the entire duration of the works. Modern electronic signs can be used to change this. But, as far as I aware, the legal provision for this does not exist, so they just put the lowest limit all along. This is ridiculous, of course, especially as the contractors will clear off for 2 weeks at Christmas etc, but leave the speedlimit in place all along.

I think the legislation was changed recently and came in with the av speed legislation - i know that this is in the plan for the M50 where alternating speeds combined with av speed cameras are planned (up to 3 years). the idea is that it is ridiculous to put a 80km limit 24/7 when the 80km limit is suited for 2-3 hours a day.

On M7 - 80kmh during hours of roadworks is OK and 100kmh when roadwork contractors are gone from the site.

• Advertisement

VincePP wrote: »
    I think the legislation was changed recently and came in with the av speed legislation - i know that this is in the plan for the M50 where alternating speeds combined with av speed cameras are planned (up to 3 years). the idea is that it is ridiculous to put a 80km limit 24/7 when the 80km limit is suited for 2-3 hours a day.

On M7 - 80kmh during hours of roadworks is OK and 100kmh when roadwork contractors are gone from the site.

the speed limit is 60 between the average speed camera's.
    80 would be ok during work hours, 60 is dangerous

the speed limit is 60 between the average speed camera's.
    80 would be ok during work hours, 60 is dangerous

Exactly - current 60 will cause a lot of issues and probable accidents with sudden build up of traffic.

As it's probably a long term limit with start of upgrade imminent, 80kmh would have respect of motorists. Hopefully they see sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

VincePP wrote: »
    Exactly - current 60 will cause a lot of issues and probable accidents with sudden build up of traffic.

As it's probably a long term limit with start of upgrade imminent, 80kmh would have respect of motorists. Hopefully they see sense.

Where exactly are the cameras, I travel this road every day and I keep forgetting to look out for them, not to mention I've probably about 12 points at this stage :mad: Yeah 60 is way too low, it's the usual Irish effort of shooting fish in a barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe this will be seen as trolling but there's nothing dangerous about the limit. As long as it's signposted appropriately and stepped down from 120 appropriately, the limit could be 80, 60, 30 or even 5 and no motorist should have a problem driving at that speed. It might feel frustrating to drive at 60 on a motorway but telling yourself that it's dangerous is a fallacy.

It's a road, you have brakes to slow down and brake lights to tell people behind you what you're doing.

I drove along there yesterday, slowed down (especially when I saw the average speed camera sign!), put the cruise control at 60 and didn't get rear ended, cause carnage behind me or any of the other rubbish that has been suggested here.

Don't picture me as some kind of saint, I recently bought a 160bhp car, I love the extra speed, panic every time I see a speed camera van and will happily do 140+ on a motorway but I also know that I can drive at 60 when I need to and so can everyone else.

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Where exactly are the cameras, I travel this road every day and I keep forgetting to look out for them, not to mention I've probably about 12 points at this stage :mad: Yeah 60 is way too low, it's the usual Irish effort of shooting fish in a barrel

One set is is about 1200m before junction 10 and the second set is 500m before junction 10.

gilly2308 wrote: »

One set is behind a road sign and the other set Is behind a variable message sign. The poles are grey and the cameras are yellow.

The danger as i see it is the difference in speed between Cars doing the 60 limit and cars doing 100.
    This morning when driving the section i had one car stay behind me, i noticed many cars jump out into lane 2 from lane 1 when they reached the car behind me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can someone put up a photo of the average speed camera sign please

• Advertisement

Transport Infrastructure Ireland have replied to me today with the following
    the contractor for construction works, accesses the nature of the works and requests an appropriate temporary speed limit, taking account of the health and safety of the workers carrying out the works and motorists alike. Once a temporary speed limit is in place, it’s enforcement is of course a matter for An Garda Síochána.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

As someone who has worked behind these barriers on motorway road works the 60kph limit is absolutely appropriate and should be enforced. Its not fun having traffic whizz by at 80kph plus only just over a metre from the works area.

As someone who has worked behind these barriers on motorway road works the 60kph limit is absolutely appropriate and should be enforced. Its not fun having traffic whizz by at 80kph plus only just over a metre from the works area.

You are correct that during the actual working times, it's safer to have a lower limit. It just seems a bit mad that it can't be increased to 80 or 100 when there is no works taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Agreed. It should be variable to adjust when no works but until TII manage to get variable speed limits set up on the M50 I don't seen it happening for a while yet. Test signs up at red cow interchange but not a lot happened since they went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Drove this stretch yesterday approx 12:30 (normally pass at 7:20am), was surprised when I joined the M7 the traffic was going just over 60kph, so I stuck to 60kph (didn't go over) and I was being tailed very closely by every vehicle that arrived behind me.
    And before I knew it I was being overtaken by not cars but a long line of container trucks, coaches & buses and it was dangerous as the trucks just whip back after they overtake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agreed... it's far too low a limit for the current activity. Trying to stick to 60 opens you up to tailgating, lane-weaving and you spend far more time watching for this than the road ahead. 80 would be far more appropriate as things stand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Are the cameras in operation yet or just setup phase? i.e. is there fines coming out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

cargo wrote:
    Are the cameras in operation yet or just setup phase? i.e. is there fines coming out yet?

I am wondering the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Looks like they were being cabled up on Thursday evening.

Just in case, I moved back into the driving lane and clicked on the cruise control to 60km/h on Friday morning at the first set of cameras that were up.
    I was the slowest thing on the road by a 30-40km/h margin, and this was rush hour.

There are two additional sets of cameras being put up starting at the M9 merge, only the poles started on so far.

• Advertisement

Once those cameras go live, I will be driving the old way to Kilcullen and join the M9 there. It's going to be a nightmare from next month.

Advertisement