Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

60 km/h is too slow in my opinion. 80 km/h would be more apt.

Not that it affects me on my motorbike anyhow , no front reg plate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Saw all the cameras being taken down today. Not sure what's happening but they are certainly not operational right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

cros13 wrote: »
    Saw all the cameras being taken down today. Not sure what's happening but they are certainly not operational right now.

Seen that on the way in this morning alright been taken down,
    Unless they are finished that side and are moving them over to be used on Southbound ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

first supporting pole is in place south bound now, just after the first flyover of junction 10.
    no cameras in place so far.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is the 60 kph speed limit just for construction working hours or are they 24/7? It seems to be overkill to cut the speed limit in half at all times when there are still 2 lanes going each way.

North bound cones to be removed tomorrow from m7 between jn11 and jn10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Where are the notices on the motorway to say how long these roadworks and TSRs are in place for ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thread title changed because only half of the elements of this scheme were in the title:

This scheme discussion includes:

* The widening of the M7 motorway between J9 Naas North and J11 M9
    * The construction of an upgraded interchange at J10 Newbridge/Naas South and the closure of the existing slip roads
    * The demolition of the existing accomodation overbridge in the townland of Osberstown and the construction of a new J9A at Osberstown, servicing Millenium Park and the proposed R407 Sallins bypass
    * The construction of the R407 Sallins bypass which will tie into the newly created J9A at Osberstown.

• Advertisement

second average speed pole with camera's is in place 1km before junction 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Sorry if this is an annoying question, but is there a time line for completion of the full scheme? I'm particularly interested in the Sallins bypass as the traffic has become a nightmare in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/216007/think-m7-widening-will-ease-kildare-s-traffic-don-t-believe-the-hype.html

So a waste of money the upgrade is according to this guy. Could have a 8 lanes or perhaps a 10 lane super highway going around Naas. I do get some of the points which have been pointed out before that adding more capacity will eventually lead to the need for more capacity. Perhaps three lanes to the M7/M8 junction will be the talk of the 2030's.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Interurban cycle-way for everybody in the audience with Cycle way service stations and GSJ's along the route sure while were at it erect huge covers above them all to keep the cycling idyllic future dry :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The M7 widens to 4 lanes at J11, it splits into the M9 and M7. This will take care of the bottleneck

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

JeffK88 wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/216007/think-m7-widening-will-ease-kildare-s-traffic-don-t-believe-the-hype.html

So a waste of money the upgrade is according to this guy. Could have a 8 lanes or perhaps a 10 lane super highway going around Naas. I do get some of the points which have been pointed out before that adding more capacity will eventually lead to the need for more capacity. Perhaps three lanes to the M7/M8 junction will be the talk of the 2030's.
    This bloke doesn't have a clue what he is writing about. Here were are talking about widening crucial bottleneck not building new spare capacity for future traffic to come. Typical anti-car bollocks.

And he whole argument that the M7 will become 2 lane again after the M9 turn-off, so the widening doesn't make sense, is absurd. Proportion of traffic will leave for the M9 so 2 lanes further down make perfect sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Geogregor wrote: »
    This bloke doesn't have a clue what he is writing about. Here were are talking about widening crucial bottleneck not building new spare capacity for future traffic to come. Typical anti-car bollocks.

And he whole argument that the M7 will become 2 lane again after the M9 turn-off, so the widening doesn't make sense, is absurd. Proportion of traffic will leave for the M9 so 2 lanes further down make perfect sense.

+1

Indeed, what a load of rubbish - I happen to be both a motorist and regular rail user, so let me guess... :rolleyes:

It's a case of....
    Welcome back to the 1990's!

At present the N7 corridor goes

3 lanes - 2 lanes - 4 lanes (M7-M9)

The widening project only has advantages - the day when we need to widen the M7/M9 section to 3 lanes is quite some time away.

Of all the projects in the capital plan this makes the most sense - luckily it's the first one to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

marno21 wrote: »
    At present the N7 corridor goes

3 lanes - 2 lanes - 4 lanes (M7-M9)

The widening project only has advantages - the day when we need to widen the M7/M9 section to 3 lanes is quite some time away.

Of all the projects in the capital plan this makes the most sense - luckily it's the first one to go ahead.

In an ideal world the majority of us would get public transport into work, but Ireland and particularly Dublin is probably 30 years if not more behind most other capital cities in terms of public transport. With a proper public transport system you could hop on a LUAS at the Red Cow and go straight to Sandyford, or go in the the opposite direction and get a LUAS to the airport or Swords, but sadly this is not the case. When we build public transport in this country we tend to build just in straight lines, with no spurs off these lines going to places like the airport, or Sandyford etc where a sizeable proportion of the working population are based. I moved back from London in 2000 and they were still talking about building a rail link to the airport, or even a metro system from the city centre to the airport, but here we are in 2016, and they're still talking about it. Sadly in Ireland and more so for us living in the Pale, you have little or no choice but to drive into work, it would be actually cheaper, healthier and less stressful for most of us to be able to get a train into work, but this is not a viable option unless you work in Dublin City Centre. Finally how in god's name is the widening of the M7 from Junction 9 to J11 going to take 28-34 months, seriously they're adding one lane each side, not building the Millau Viaduct!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Plenty of threads where public transport is being discussed if you want to talk about that. Everybody agrees PT is needed but the M7 was built decades ago and also needs work. A city needs proper roads and railways not just one of those.

As for the build time, it does seem long, but they need to maintain live traffic flow through it which makes it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Does that mean it'll start in April (as I presumed, and have heard) or will it pretty much start immediately with this contract award?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Never heard of that company. Have they had many other big jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I assume it's this Atkins. I've heard of them in connection with some of the stuff on this page.
    http://www.atkinsglobal.com/en-GB/projects

They're not a couple of guys working out the back of a Hi-Ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Does that mean it'll start in April (as I presumed, and have heard) or will it pretty much start immediately with this contract award?

From the link:
    Atkins will undertake services including preparation of a specimen design and tender documents for the design and build contract, tender stage geotechnical investigations, cost estimates, management of the design and build tender process and assessment of pre-qualification and tender submissions.

So it will be a good while yet before a Contractor is awarded and construction can begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

JohnC. wrote: »
    I assume it's this Atkins. I've heard of them in connection with some of the stuff on this page.

Here's the Irish page:
    http://www.atkinsireland.ie/projects-archive/roads/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Simona1986 wrote: »
    From the link:
    Atkins will undertake services including preparation of a specimen design and tender documents for the design and build contract, tender stage geotechnical investigations, cost estimates, management of the design and build tender process and assessment of pre-qualification and tender submissions.

So it will be a good while yet before a Contractor is awarded and construction can begin.

Is this scheme not already under tender for the construction works - was the submission date not July 2016? :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

JohnC. wrote: »

Ah, I mistook them for the contractors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

The sooner this work starts the better, although it could be 2.5 years of hell if this morning is anything to go by. Traffic was pretty much backed up to Junction 12 (Newbridge) this morning by 7am, so god only knows what it will be like once road works start :mad:

Advertisement