Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Nothing a nice cold pint in ashtons can't fix!

Lot of good suggestions there, my choice would be train to Heuston, and then cycle to Clonskeagh, currently on a waiting list for one of the bike lockers in Heuston. I'd rather not drive to Newbridge, as even the extra expense of paying for parking at Newbridge station would come to the guts of €80 a month, whereas I can walk to Kildare train station. Walter2016, when you say an hour to get the train and 145 to Donnybrook, I'm sure that's not totally true, I would presume you're looking at in or around 45 mins on the train to Heuston, and then another 45 mins on the bus to Donnybrook?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yes and no. By 9/10am the bulk of the traffic has cleared alright but in my experience the evening rush (on the M50 and N7 to Naas) doesn't die off till closer to 7 at this stage

Friday evenings are worse again.. might as well wait til 7:30/8pm most weeks.

Yeah Friday is a nightmare on the M7, it's bad at the best of times any weekday evening, but worse again on a Friday, and stay well away on a Bank Holiday Friday.

Here's an alternative to skip the M9 bottleneck.

Check aa roadwatch route planner first. If dark red is showing beyond the m9 junction go for plan b

https://www.theaa.ie/routes/#/r/

Plan b

Coming from m7 before Newbridge. Turn off at Newbridge, go over motorway, take 1st exit towards Athgarvan along by curragh.

At primary school and ramps, vere left towards Athgarvan inn. Go straight through lights and continue along for 1.5km to Newbridge rugby club. 100m past the rugby club turn left and continue all the way to end of this stretch (past lidl warehouse) down to pzifer. Turn right onto Naas road and continue til end and rejoin M7 at Naas north.

This route takes 12-14 minutes even on Monday morning. A clear motorway takes 6 minutes. (yes I've timed it)

At the least, you get past the M9 bottleneck.

Walter2016 any shortcuts to avoid the bottlenecks on the M7 in the evening, any way where you could turn off well before Naas, emerging hopefully somewhere around Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Lot of good suggestions there, my choice would be train to Heuston, and then cycle to Clonskeagh, currently on a waiting list for one of the bike lockers in Heuston. I'd rather not drive to Newbridge, as even the extra expense of paying for parking at Newbridge station would come to the guts of €80 a month, whereas I can walk to Kildare train station. Walter2016, when you say an hour to get the train and 145 to Donnybrook, I'm sure that's not totally true, I would presume you're looking at in or around 45 mins on the train to Heuston, and then another 45 mins on the bus to Donnybrook?

They have a waiting list for Bike lockers? Jesus, Irish rail keep getting better...I've always found there to be lots and lots of space at Heuston, lots of big expanses of space that could be condensed if they are stuck for space for example for bike lockers.

road_high wrote: »
    They have a waiting list for Bike lockers? Jesus, Irish rail keep getting better...I've always found there to be lots and lots of space at Heuston, lots of big expanses of space that could be condensed if they are stuck for space for example for bike lockers.

It's laughable, as far as I know there are the sum total of 80 lockers in Heuston, so I can only imagine that my chances of getting one are slim and none. Yeah you would think that they could would set up a secure, covered location in Heuston with space for hundreds if not thousands of bikes, charge a €10 a month, and I'm sure it would more than pay for itself. This is not rocket science, but might just get a lot more people out of their cars in this gridlocked city of ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deedsie wrote: »
    Another suggestion, cycle from Kildare to Newbridge train station - Newbridge to GCD train - cycle GCD to Clonskeagh.

Implausible distances on a foldup

On a normal bike, sure.

On a foldup you would have to be certifiably insane.

Are they that bad? I cycle a road bike but a guy in work cycles a fold up and I think he does a 10 km each way cycle.

Gilly2038 would be cycling on relatively less busy roads and there is even a short cut through Dara Park in Newbridge that would make it an even quicker cycle.

Yes - they are designed for short distance commuting, not inter-town trips or long distance city cycling with hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Walter2016 any shortcuts to avoid the bottlenecks on the M7 in the evening, any way where you could turn off well before Naas, emerging hopefully somewhere around Newbridge?

I should charge for this! :)

I drive about 80k km a year so have worked out many "traffic avoidance" measures.

For evenings, turn off at junction 6 - You'll drive behind the Topaz station, into Kill and through Kill, then at junction 8, go over overpass, past Johnstown garden centre, follow road along by Naas golf club into Sallins, turn left towards Naas, turn right after lights at Supervalu and that road crosses the caragh road, the mondelo road and brings you to the junction just before Toughers at Ladytown.

20-25 minutes max at peak Friday from time you turn off N7 to Pzifer.

At 8am bus is against traffic, Dublin bus says 20min. Probably 1hour 15min all in - and far less stress.

I'd try it one day - tell colleagues you're doing it and may be late/early as its a trial. Remember, monthly / annual train tickets are available on tax saver, so it may be a very good value option if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's scary to think how bad things will be when the upgrade works start if this is the measures people are taking to avoid the N7 daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

I travel from Athy to Dolphin's Barn, S.C.R Dublin 8 any back daily... Mon/Fri.. at peak times. It use to take me 50 mins in the mornings leaving at 7 and going the motorway M9/N7.. This year its gone up to an HR 20 mins.. the way home is/was always an Hr & 30mins.. 2 hrs on a fri.. so also spending 3 hrs a day commuting.. and have tried everything... Train works out dearer and also a bit stressful as I have to rush from work to make it or wait an hr+ for the next 1!! I finish at 5.. Heuston is 15 min cycle hopping the roads out of it... I used to lock my bike there in the bike racks never heard of lockers or a waiting list.. but it still works out the same time wise give or take plus I need a car for everyday life so why have extra expense of train as its cheaper to drive.. an the odd occasion I finish early etc

My route in in the mornings is Athy, Dublin Rd through kilcullen, turn right for punchestown race course pass that straight all the way into rathcoole village then out onto N7, It still takes hr 20mins but moves... been stuck on the motorway for 10/15mins at a time is soul destroying .. It is all back roads and the road isnt great especially this time of year and I have noticed a big increase in traffic this way the last few months..

I would always go home this way on a Fri and if I hear of a crash on the N7! Funny I was listening to Matt Cooper a few months ago and he had a transport expert on, Anyway he said the city & commuting towns will be at a total gridlock in 5 years time that there is no infrastructure in place and if they started something today it would take 5 years to complete ie the N7 upgrade after naas.. and public transport is very poor.. I personally think its just about at gridlock now..

I am currently saving for a motor bike and lessons as I see no other alternative really...

I should charge for this! :)

I drive about 80k km a year so have worked out many "traffic avoidance" measures.

For evenings, turn off at junction 6 - You'll drive behind the Topaz station, into Kill and through Kill, then at junction 8, go over overpass, past Johnstown garden centre, follow road along by Naas golf club into Sallins, turn left towards Naas, turn right after lights at Supervalu and that road crosses the caragh road, the mondelo road and brings you to the junction just before Toughers at Ladytown.

20-25 minutes max at peak Friday from time you turn off N7 to Pzifer.

Cheers Walter2016, I will definitely give that a try, and the cheque is in the post :)

benny79 wrote: »
    I travel from Athy to Dolphin's Barn, S.C.R Dublin 8 any back daily... Mon/Fri.. at peak times. It use to take me 50 mins in the mornings leaving at 7 and going the motorway M9/N7.. This year its gone up to an HR 20 mins.. the way home is/was always an Hr & 30mins.. 2 hrs on a fri.. so also spending 3 hrs a day commuting.. and have tried everything... Train works out dearer and also a bit stressful as I have to rush from work to make it or wait an hr+ for the next 1!! I finish at 5.. Heuston is 15 min cycle hopping the roads out of it... I used to lock my bike there in the bike racks never heard of lockers or a waiting list.. but it still works out the same time wise give or take plus I need a car for everyday life so why have extra expense of train as its cheaper to drive.. an the odd occasion I finish early etc

My route in in the mornings is Athy, Dublin Rd through kilcullen, turn right for punchestown race course pass that straight all the way into rathcoole village then out onto N7, It still takes hr 20mins but moves... been stuck on the motorway for 10/15mins at a time is soul destroying .. It is all back roads and the road isnt great especially this time of year and I have noticed a big increase in traffic this way the last few months..

I would always go home this way on a Fri and if I hear of a crash on the N7! Funny I was listening to Matt Cooper a few months ago and he had a transport expert on, Anyway he said the city & commuting towns will be at a total gridlock in 5 years time that there is no infrastructure in place and if they started something today it would take 5 years to complete ie the N7 upgrade after naas.. and public transport is very poor.. I personally think its just about at gridlock now..

I am currently saving for a motor bike and lessons as I see no other alternative really...

But it's so typical of this country, we close the stable door well after the horse has bolted. It's been said many times that we are governed by fools in this country, no forward thinkers in government, most of those in power are generally gombeens who know how to play the system, with little or no interest in progress. Anyone who shows any kind of initiative or wishes to rock the boat is quickly sidelined, and generally won't ever see any position of power. Dublin city is a mess, gridlocked with cars, a mish mash of public transport that covers a tiny proportion of the city, and don't even start me on their housing strategy. They would much rather thousands of people reluctantly move to the surrounding counties, than god forbid build proper high rise apartment blocks close to public transport and amenities, and most houses that do get built in this city are financially well out of the reach of most ordinary people. They get away with it because we don't complain in this country, if you were to complain to a local politician about how bad your commute was, he/she would probably look at you blankly and walk away wondering what you're on about. I would much rather that they build a proper functioning public transport, but if they're not prepared to do that, then they have to at the very least build another outer ring road, that is probably still required with the M50 and M7 at absolute breaking point and getting worse daily, but sadly they will not do either, and in five years time it will probably take three hours to drive to Dublin from Kildare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Wonder should we let the Asians run this country - they could get the entire London Underground built in just over 20 years - look at the Shanghai Metro for example. The Western World is a joke - full of greedy land owners, corruption and litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭prunudo

benny79 wrote: »

Motorbike and scooter use should be encouraged more to reduce congestion.
    Compared to other EU countries they're seen as a negative here when in reality they are part of the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

When will the widening really start? I mean when will' we see the diggers on the ground?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Geogregor wrote: »
    When will the widening really start? I mean when will' we see the diggers on the ground?
    I think it's supposed to be April 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

it sounds so horrific, that what difference will one single lane make? it will be at full capacity from opening, then what happens when you hit the gridlocked m50?

sounds to me like they would be better off with one lane as a bus lane for peak hour traffic, express buses taking people to the major employment centres and possibly doing this on the m50 also...

I dont see an alternative until serious solutions are in place like DU and MN...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Idbatterim wrote: »
    it sounds so horrific, that what difference will one single lane make? it will be at full capacity from opening, then what happens when you hit the gridlocked m50?

sounds to me like they would be better off with one lane as a bus lane for peak hour traffic, express buses taking people to the major employment centres and possibly doing this on the m50 also...

I dont see an alternative until serious solutions are in place like DU and MN...
    The extra lane outbound will alleviate the congestion caused by the lane drop outbound at J9. The extra lane inbound as you say will cause traffic to reach the M50 quicker, so the congestion is just moved to the Red Cow interchange.

The other thing you have to consider is that it will alleviate some problems around Naas, with the reconstruction of J10, the construction of the new J9A and the Sallins BP. This will free up some issues at the present Naas North/Naas South junctions, and the relief road around Naas, and in Sallins itself.

• Advertisement

By the time its finished, it will be just moving the problem, just like the completion of the Red Cow Roundabout and the newlands fly over..

The only thing people complained about was the water charges and looked how that turned out we won the fight but not the war!! Just shows what people power can do.. This **** doesnt happen in France.. The country hasn't improved at all and the problem with the government is they are all the same as gilly pointed out and get away with it.. so it doesnt matter who gets into power!!

In this day an age we should have a top of the range transport system & health system the blue print is already there with other countries.. No one in power is willing to make a change cause they want an easy life on there fat pay cheques and pensions!!

FFS the health service in Thailand is miles ahead of us!!

What war did the water charges win? Tax payers get to pay for everyone else's services instead of a pay per use charge.

I'd love if someone would arrange a counter protest to the water charges in the new year. Let tax paying grown ups make demands for a change.

I suppose the war was the people actually getting off there holes and making a stand/protesting.. Right or wrong

Anyway thats going off topic..

One option for some is to drive to Sallins and take train from there - esp on a Friday as getting to sallins on a friday is a doddle and you miss the jams on the way home.

From yesterday Sallins is in the short hop zone, so train fares will be very good value at about €8.50 return or 3.56 single with leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

One option for some is to drive to Sallins and take train from there - esp on a Friday as getting to sallins on a friday is a doddle and you miss the jams on the way home.

From yesterday Sallins is in the short hop zone, so train fares will be very good value at about €8.50 return or 3.56 single with leap card.

If it's 3.56 single, it's 7.12 return...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep water charges out of this thread. If you want to discuss water charges, then start a thread but if it goes the way of previous threads on water charges it will be closed. Water charges are better off in the politics thread or after hours unless specific to infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

That's an interesting option. What car parking space like there? How much?

Conba wrote: »
    That's an interesting option. What car parking space like there? How much?

At 7:15 this morning Sallin's train station car park was filling up fast. It costs €4.50 per day.
    If you don't mind a couple of minutes walk, you can park in the Supervalue car park beside the station for €2 per day which would have more empty spaces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This improvement project will aid long-distance traffic, outbound from Dublin, and local Naas and Sallins issues.
    It will absolutely not aid inbound commuter traffic whatsoever.
    Motorists making this journey will need to either start using PT, move closer to Dublin or get a job locally.
    People often balk at having to pay for park and ride parking but what about money saved on petrol, time and stress reduction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spacetweek wrote: »
    Motorists making this journey will need to either start using PT, move closer to Dublin or get a job locally.

Easier said than done really.. I'd be one of those commuting in every day..

- Only moved out of Dublin in the first place because of the ridiculous rental prices. Even with the commuting costs, I'm saving money (I'd need a car anyway so no "capital" costs to save there)

- Unless you work in "An Lar" (I don't) you are looking at maybe 2 hours+ each way to get to work. Public transport isn't exactly reliable or cheap either!

- Getting a job locally probably isn't an option if you work in the finance/tech sector for example as I would. Thanks to the Dublin-centric nature of things, people are commuting from maybe 2 counties away at this stage. Luckily I have flexible hours and work from home rights which make a big difference.

Bottom line is that until public transport improves significantly, with orbital routes linking places like Blanch, Red Cow, Ballymount and Sandyford, it's only really practical on the M7 corridor for those who actually work in the city centre. Otherwise the time lost, extra hassle and cost just makes it wholly unpractical.

There's plenty of land inside/immediate surrounding the M50 that could be developed for residential purposes if the political will was there. But housing is very politicised in this country and there doesn't appear to be any real urgency on the part of our "leaders" to address the core issues (which are deeper than just supply) so in reality 90 minute-2 hour commutes each way are only going to continue for the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

spacetweek wrote: »
    People often balk at having to pay for park and ride parking but what about money saved on petrol, time and stress reduction etc.

True, but €4 per day at the Red Cow is just moneymaking.

If they want to encourage a load of people to transfer from car to train make it €1 per day, or €2 per day.... to upkeep the carpark. And not for profiteering or making up revenue, like they do at the moment.

Advertisement