Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Perhaps variable speed limits might help with traffic flow in the morning - keeping it all going - but slower.

They had average speed cameras operating during the prep work in upgrading the hard shoudler and it worked very well. The system, whilst working, was not enforced, but it did the job and traffic flowed relatively smoothly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CeilingFly wrote: »
    They had average speed cameras operating during the prep work in upgrading the hard shoudler and it worked very well. The system, whilst working, was not enforced, but it did the job and traffic flowed relatively smoothly.

If it worked, it probably did not need enforcement (or it was enforced but no-one was caught).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

If it worked, it probably did not need enforcement (or it was enforced but no-one was caught).

Often is self-enforcing, i.e. the threat of capture is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

spacetweek wrote: »
    Often is self-enforcing, i.e. the threat of capture is enough.
    The traffic does be that bad in the evenings no one else can go any faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

From Kildare Now

[url]Https://www.kildarenow.com/news/kildare-county-council-gets-several-tenders-major-road-projects/167615[/url]

A number of tenders have been received by Kildare County Council for the Sallins Bypass, M7 Osberstown Interchange and M7 Naas to Newbridge Bypass Upgrade.

Mr. Stagg stated that the Tenders will now be evaluated by the Council's National Roads Office and it is expected that they will be in a position to award the contract by September with work commencing before the end of the year.

Welcoming the news Kildare North Labour Representative Emmet Stagg stated that over €21 Million has been allocated in 2017 for the joint project which is estimated to cost €110 Million and construction will take between 30 months and three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So realistically an end of year start most likely now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They are so very nonchalant about this project aren't they. Start date keeps slipping.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They are so very nonchalant about this project aren't they. Start date keeps slipping.
    Gone from April to end of year. Disappointing that it'll be kicking off just as the Christmas rush is starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    Gone from April to end of year. Disappointing that it'll be kicking off just as the Christmas rush is starting.

That's almost another full year of nothing done. There's no will or drive to push anything. Least with the MIUs back in 2000 there appeared to be a major push and drive to get them done despite being a relatively mammoth undertaking.
    These days they can't seem to get the simplest of bypasses underway. They don't have the money or will to prioritise for infrastructure

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    That's almost another full year of nothing done. There's no will or drive to push anything. Least with the MIUs back in 2000 there appeared to be a major push and drive to get them done despite being a relatively mammoth undertaking.
    These days they can't seem to get the simplest of bypasses underway. They don't have the money or will to prioritise for infrastructure
    They do have the money, they just don't care. This isn't a big project by a few years ago's standards. 11km of widening, 2 interchanges and a few kms of 2+2.

Kerry Group were promised the Osberstown interchange several years ago and it hasn't started yet.

• Advertisement

They do have the money, they just don't care. This isn't a big project by a few years ago's standards. 11km of widening, 2 interchanges and a few kms of 2+2.

Kerry Group were promised the Osberstown interchange several years ago and it hasn't started yet.

They should threaten to move.. Absolute joke of a country

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

benny79 wrote: »
    They should threaten to move.......
    They did - out of Kerry

They did - out of Kerry

No they didn't, their corporate HQ is in Tralee, this is their global research centre, and it's not their only one either

This premises was either going to be near Dublin, London or Amsterdam, Dublin and thus Naas was chosen. They got a commitment at the time that the junction would be open on time for their opening of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

No they didn't, their corporate HQ is in Tralee,...
    You are correct in a literal sense - I was thinking in a more metaphorical long term context - I'm still wrong & OFF TOPIC - FORGIVE :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Another thing they can to this project is also upgrade the maudlins interchange to a free flow junction! The roundabout is a disaster

pad199207 wrote: »
    Another thing they can to this project is also upgrade the maudlins interchange to a free flow junction! The roundabout is a disaster

The construction of J9A should take a lot of pressure off the Maudlins Interchange. Roundabout should flow a lot better after

I headed up and down the M7 to Roscrea over the weekend.
    They've been taking so long getting this project off the ground that by the time it's done, J11 (M9) to J13 (Kildare) will need to be widened judging by the level of traffic there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I headed up and down the M7 to Roscrea over the weekend.
    They've been taking so long getting this project off the ground that by the time it's done, J11 (M9) to J13 (Kildare) will need to be widened judging by the level of traffic there already.

Ah stop. Depressing me! I’m moving to Kildare and that’s one of the only negative points is the commute (traffic)

I take some comfort watching most head on a naas and a few more at Newbridge. Don’t ruin it for me! :)

Widening the M7 beyond the M9 turnoff is madness. There is simply nowhere for the traffic to go. The N7 is thronged from J4 Rathcoole in in the mornings and the M50 and surface routes to the city centre are packed to bursting.

The only solution to this is improved rail services and a network of rail links in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hopefully that would make the roads quieter if people took the train, but I wouldn't want to be on a train myself.

There will always be some people who will want to drive, but for many the option of a 40/45 minute commute and less time spent on the M7/M50 would be very appealing

There is also the point that there is no further road capacity enhancements possible so an alternative must be found regardless

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Did you ever take the train? its a joke and much dearer than driving as most people will still need a car for family etc.. This country needs a underground tube which is proven to work but will never happen here..

Deedsie wrote: »
    Some people will always choose to drive. As soon as a viable public transport network is set up the government should start introducing financial disincentives to driving into urban centres. Congestion charges, increased cost for parking etc etc.

The target now needs to be drastically reducing car numbers. There are far too many cars and no room for them as it is.

The amount of people driving will drop of an alternative is in place. A good share of people drive because they have no choice.

If I lived in Newbridge and was able to get the DART to SSG and the Metro to Sandyford/Cherrywood in 45-50 minutes why would I drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

benny79 wrote: »
    Did you ever take the train? its a joke and much dearer than driving as most people will still need a car for family etc.. This country needs a underground tube which is proving to work but will never happen here..

An underground to Kildare? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

How is taking the train more expensive than driving? Price of the car, motor tax, motor insurance, maintenance of the vehicle, fuel etcetc... time wasted sitting in traffic congestion.

I'd certainly be taking the train if I could over a car.

Well when you look at the fares of the areas covered by the M7 scheme an adult Day return from Newbridge is €20.50 whereas Sallins/Nass is 8.50 - how does that make sense?

Also not everybody needs to get into Dublin Citycentre and would need to get a Luas/Bus/Dart to where-ever their actual destination is.

Edit:Now that I think of it if Irish Rail extended their commuter zone so it actually covers the commuter counties properly it would ease congestion - especially where they are looking to widen the M7

How is taking the train more expensive than driving? Price of the car, motor tax, motor insurance, maintenance of the vehicle, fuel etcetc... time wasted sitting in traffic congestion.

I'd certainly be taking the train if I could over a car.

Because most people need a car as well as the live in kildare ie country so will have motor tax, motor insurance, maintenance etc were talking about commuter traffic to workplace and return. My weekly fuel is €50/€60 a week think the weekly train ticket was €70+ I commuted by train 2 years ago when changing between cars for a month.

Plus your restricted to train times and in the mornings most standing room..

An underground to Kildare? Really?

No mainly Dublin then going above ground to commuter towns.. I lived in Sydney for 2 years and this public transport was unbelieveable and cheap..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I hear tenders are back in for this job with the successful contractor about to be appointed shortly

roadmaster wrote: »
    I hear tenders are back in for this job with the successful contractor about to be appointed shortly

Great stuff. Was only thinking last night that a start on this is now well overdue. Start was originally programmed for April 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If I lived in Newbridge and was able to get the DART to SSG and the Metro to Sandyford/Cherrywood in 45-50 minutes why would I drive?

SSG to Leopardstown takes a half an hour already, I look forward to Newbridge to SSG in 15-20 mins....

Advertisement