Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Traffic seems to be getting progressively worse, not sure what the solution is.

The cars simply have no place to go

DART Expansion and Metro is the solution. Not road widening and motorway double decking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Major investment on the Kildare rail corridor and much much more capacity needed- proper park and ride (I mean big big ones) at strategic points close to the M7 and railway line. Widen the N/M7 to 6 lanes and it'll still be problematic at this stage.
    Outside the box alternatives needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

road_high wrote: »
    Major investment on the Kildare rail corridor and much much more capacity needed- proper park and ride (I mean big big ones) at strategic points close to the M7 and railway line. Widen the N/M7 to 6 lanes and it'll still be problematic at this stage.
    Outside the box alternatives needed now.

If only that straightforward.
    Many cars are not going to the city centre, so rail not always an option.
    The current train then luas/bus/bike/tunnel train options are slow and not attractive enough.
    So a combo of road and Dart underground is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

A underground end of.. but will never happen because are government are useless and it cost to much and take to long etc.. its proven to work look at London, New York, Australia..

I lived in Australia for 2 years and the underground was unbelieve cheap and quick.. for such a small country it really is a no brainer! imo the should of done that instead of the Luas which doesnt help traffic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My 50 minute commute was 20 minutes this morning, why can't every day be a Friday!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

My 50 minute commute was 20 minutes this morning, why can't every day be a Friday!

Because I was off today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Patww79 wrote: »

Agree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah but wait and see the commute home it be 110 minutes ;) Every Friday is the same. No traffic in the mornings and mast exit in the evenings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

benny79 wrote: »
    Yeah but wait and see the commute home it be 110 minutes ;) Every Friday is the same. No traffic in the mornings and mast exit in the evenings!

People should have to buy a pass that allows them use the N7 3pm – 4pm or 4pm – 5pm etc etc on Fridays.

Half joking of course but traffic is apocalyptic on Fridays, unless you’re past Naas North by 3:30pm it’s game over. Back when I was doing it I just always went Blessington, it took a while but you were always moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Deedsie wrote: »
    Top ten in the world and every town and city in the country is a congested mess.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Transport/Road/Road-density

That's only showing OECD countries and most of the countries below us are large and sparsely populated. From my experience we have significantly less congestion that most of the countries near the top of that list, outside of a select few locations traffic really isn't that bad in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Name a town traffic congestion isnt bad during peak hours?

Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most medium sized towns that got bypasses between 2000 and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Depends how you define bad, by international standards 15 minutes of stop start traffic is fairly normal and there's very few places in the country where that's a regular occurrence.

I had the pleasure of commuting long distances in southern England for a few years and traffic over there is on a completely different level despite the far better infrastructure, a breakdown closing one lane of a three lane road could easily add an hour to my journey home. Outside of a few Dublin arterial routes thats not really an issue in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Depends how you define bad, by international standards 15 minutes of stop start traffic is fairly normal and there's very few places in the country where that's a regular occurrence.

I had the pleasure of commuting long distances in southern England for a few years and traffic over there is on a completely different level despite the far better infrastructure, a breakdown closing one lane of a three lane road could easily add an hour to my journey home. Outside of a few Dublin arterial routes thats not really an issue in this country

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/what-you-should-you-stuck-520870

Think I'd go spare sitting on the M7 for so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There’s a country outside of Dublin too. This was quite possibly the worst traffic jam in the history of the state. People had to abandon their cars as they ran out of fuel. People went a mile in 2 hours.

https://www.google.ie/amp/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/roads-chief-sorry-for-cork-jack-lynch-tunnel-chaos-371517.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tone deaf and shows no understanding of the experience of the 20th century.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dublin's surface road infrastructure is at capacity and can't take any more cars.

The only other route is tunnelling or urban motorways. Tunneling would be expensive and building motorways through city centres in places such as Glasgow and Birmingham has just created more congestion and renders the areas around the motorways as fairly desolate places to say the least. There was plans in the 1970s to demolish parts of Cork city centre and Dublin city centre for urban motorways but these never came close to fruition. They started in London but the project was fairly quickly canned.

The closest roads we have to urban motorways in Ireland are the N27 South Link in Cork (built on a former railway trackbed) and the N4 Sligo Inner Relief Road.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Dublin's surface road infrastructure is at capacity and can't take any more cars.

The only other route is tunnelling or urban motorways. Tunneling would be expensive and building motorways through city centres in places such as Glasgow and Birmingham has just created more congestion and renders the areas around the motorways as fairly desolate places to say the least. There was plans in the 1970s to demolish parts of Cork city centre and Dublin city centre for urban motorways but these never came close to fruition. They started in London but the project was fairly quickly canned.

The closest roads we have to urban motorways in Ireland are the N27 South Link in Cork (built on a former railway trackbed) and the N4 Sligo Inner Relief Road.
    Yes, the ringways, only the north circular road section was ever built and the M1 joining it has a very strange junction with unfinished bits leading south. they'll never be used now.

Technically speaking the M25 is ringway 4

Just imagine transport in London without the tube. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yes, the ringways, only the north circular road section was ever built and the M1 joining it has a very strange junction with unfinished bits leading south. they'll never be used now.

Technically speaking the M25 is ringway 4

Just imagine transport in London without the tube. :eek:

Very good video here about the ringways:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEHWhO_HdY

The experience? What pray tell, is that then?

Are we supposed to be stuffed into tubes with everyone else and ferried every morning and evening? Great experience.

What about the A12 Westlink in Belfast?

It's not really in Ireland It's a good job though and made some difference driving up there, though it can be an awful mess where it splits on the north side. Getting onto it from the M2 in the evenings is a nightmare too.[/quote]

Not really in Ireland?
    Where is it, then?
    :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Not really in Ireland?
    Where is it, then?
    Until Brexit it's in Ireland - then it moves to Limbo?......:)

I was talking only about the Republic - given the major differences between the road programmes in the north and south. The North had most of their modern motorway network open in the 1970s, whereas the Republic opened its first motorway in 1983 and the first stretch of the M50 only opened in 1990. The Republic came a bit late to the game and missed out on the urban motorway rush of the 60s/70s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Carlow.

It's not bad by Dublin standards but at peak times it gets bad. What normally takes 5 minutes can be 15. Especially in the ring roads that completely backlog at roundabouts.

Not really in Ireland?
    Where is it, then?
    Until Brexit it's in Ireland - then it moves to Limbo?......:)

Sadly, this is very true.
    Anyway, sorry for going off-topic. :-)

• Advertisement

I was talking only about the Republic - given the major differences between the road programmes in the north and south. The North had most of their modern motorway network open in the 1970s, whereas the Republic opened its first motorway in 1983 and the first stretch of the M50 only opened in 1990. The Republic came a bit late to the game and missed out on the urban motorway rush of the 60s/70s

Indeed. The M1 in the north was completed by early 1968, and I often find it curious, now, as a 34 year old, that when I was a kid, the roads in the south were like 3rd-World in comparison to the roads in the north, and now we're miles behind the south in terms of infrastructure.

I dread to see how bad it will get after Brexit...we can't even afford to repair our roads, now, until the next financial year!

Advertisement