Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Re archaeological excavations on this route: results being presented in public talk in Clane GAA October 11th 8pm. http://clanecommunity.ie/event/local-history-group-talk-the-archaeology-of-the-sallins-bypass/?instance_id=4562

Some interesting items discovered. Leinster Leader ran a few articles but seems the archive is paywalled. http://www.leinsterleader.ie/gallery/home/267540/gallery-discoveries-from-the-sallins-bypass-archaeological-dig.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

What was the delay this morn on m9 merge. 20 min delay to next junction at new ridge and no sign of an accident. Getting to the stage where going early is penalised rather than going late. Shocking start to the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

sea12 wrote: »
    What was the delay this morn on m9 merge. 20 min delay to next junction at new ridge and no sign of an accident. Getting to the stage where going early is penalised rather than going late. Shocking start to the week

Monday morning - nearly always the same. The "weekenders" add to the traffic. Usually clears by 8/8.30 unless its rainign and then its worse.

Accident at Newbridge junction at 9.30 caused about 20 minute delay for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Monday morning - nearly always the same. The "weekenders" add to the traffic. Usually clears by 8/8.30 unless its rainign and then its worse.

Accident at Newbridge junction at 9.30 caused about 20 minute delay for a while

Yep Monday morning is a disaster everywhere with Friday morning being the best, I leave Cork at 2am to beat all the traffic plus I'm leaving Dublin finished for 6.30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Any sign of anything starting on the by-pass/upgrade?

Anatom wrote: »
    Any sign of anything starting on the by-pass/upgrade?

No sign of anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

I passed through at about 6:40, there was a 2 car collision at Naas south, must have been cleared shortly after but there were knock-on effects at that stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Roryhy wrote: »
    I passed through at about 6:40, there was a 2 car collision at Naas south, must have been cleared shortly after but there were knock-on effects at that stage.
    Be no harm to have the Garda helicopter on patrol in the mornings around the M1, M4/N4, M7/N7, M11 and M50.

Might spot a few clowns, help relay information to units on the ground and also catch accidents fairly early.

The amount of knock on congestion caused by accidents on these 5 roads, and on the N40 in Cork, is ridiculous at this stage. Accidents are now daily at peak times both morning and evening because people can't get into their cars and drive to their destination.

Roryhy wrote: »

Yea it was around then that I was there. Saw a squad car with lights going up the hard shoulder. But it must have been cleared by the time I passed. Have google maps on my phone in dash holder and could see the red line extending. I could also see the arrival time going up when I was at Kildare by the minute even though I was travelling at 120km art be time. Should have went off cross country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

The delay Monday morning was due to the low sun just as the road climbs & veers to right as it crosses the Sallins canal, just before J9 Northbound.
    Drivers are blinded & hit the brakes, this morning was fine cause it was overcast.
    Happens twice a year for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The delay Monday morning was due to the low sun just as the road climbs & veers to right as it crosses the Sallins canal, just before J9 Northbound.
    Drivers are blinded & hit the brakes, this morning was fine cause it was overcast.
    Happens twice a year for a few weeks.

A decent pair of sunglasses should be compulsory safety gear in my opinion. I literally couldn't drive without them in low sun or extreme glare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

road_high wrote: »
    A decent pair of sunglasses should be compulsory safety gear in my opinion. I literally couldn't drive without them in low sun or extreme glare.

Prescription tinted windscreens for all . . . . or some such
    Not everyone has to hammer on the brakes but all it takes is one in each lane then the resulting wave means cars come to a standstill 4km behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

If everyone who took today off could just give up their job that would be great

Traffic is perf today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

fergus1001 wrote: »
    If everyone who took today off could just give up their job that would be great

Traffic is perf today

But thats most Fridays really, lost of people take it off, whats amazing is how Friday mornings are light and Friday evenings are the absolute apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But thats most Fridays really, lost of people take it off, whats amazing is how Friday mornings are light and Friday evenings are the absolute apocalypse.

That's all the people who stay in Dublin during the week, going home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Oh I know but I'm still amazed at the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh I know but I'm still amazed at the volume.

Unfortunately many have no choice. If they work in financial services, IT or even the civil/public sector, these things still require most people to be in Dublin.
    There's not many of these jobs in even the bigger midlands towns, never mind the villages and rural areas. Even if there was, most of the staff these places employ wouldn't want to live there.

The only real solution is to scrap the nonsensical height restrictions of Dublin, CPO a lot of the greenfield sites that are still around the M50 and build properly-sized (no paper-thin shoe boxes) modern apartments close to/with decent facilities and infrastructure.

But this being Ireland, where the obsession with the property market continues (and not helped by a lot of TDs being in the game themselves), it'll never happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Probably people working from home as suppose to taking every Friday off I'd say..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Unfortunately many have no choice. If they work in financial services, IT or even the civil/public sector, these things still require most people to be in Dublin.
    There's not many of these jobs in even the bigger midlands towns, never mind the villages and rural areas. Even if there was, most of the staff these places employ wouldn't want to live there.

The only real solution is to scrap the nonsensical height restrictions of Dublin, CPO a lot of the greenfield sites that are still around the M50 and build properly-sized (no paper-thin shoe boxes) modern apartments close to/with decent facilities and infrastructure.

But this being Ireland, where the obsession with the property market continues (and not helped by a lot of TDs being in the game themselves), it'll never happen :(
    Much of our low rise suburban areas should simply be raised to the ground - in its place, medium to high rise development with fit for purpose transport infrastructure - new roads could have one bus lane, one traffic lane and a tramway each way with partial grade separation at junctions - trams and pedestrian traffic should be as free flow as possible. Naturally, proper wide walkways are a must alongside these roads. Parks and proper social/economic infrastructure should be planned so as to create proper communities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

_Kaiser_ wrote:

Maby if they stayed in their over priced apartments for a an extra hour it would be grand of a Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone know what happened this evening at Naas? Saw a 10km red line in both directions leaving Newbridge for Dublin, so went around Naas (which incidentally was a terrible idea and ended up by the time I rejoined the N7, traffic was fine again).

Looked like an accident but the tailback was the same length both ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Accident northbound, I think. Standard delays southbound for a Friday plus additional queues due to rubbernecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah was absolutely desperate, managed to take a few back roads which worked out OK.

I wonder is there anything that can be done to get these accidents off the roads and reopen lanes asap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seems to be a weekly occurrence really. Especially when the weather starts turning worse.
    As last poster inferred, needs a much better management plant to deal with these incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If no one is injured and the cars are physically capable of being moved the drivers should move them immediately to the hard shoulder.

Have lost count of the fender benders where people are taking photos of the cars and clearly everybody fine but just casually blocking the road out of sheer indifference.

Is there any sign of works starting? Still nothing happening as of this evening. Thought it was meant to be immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

road_high wrote: »
    Seems to be a weekly occurrence really. Especially when the weather starts turning worse.
    As last poster inferred, needs a much better management plant to deal with these incidents.

And much better enforcement to prevent these incidents

Accidents should be the exception rather than the rule

It's gone the opposite now. It's more the norm than the exception. Taking the vines of 90 mins to travel from Portlaoise ro redcow these days for what was a 45 min journey. Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd imagine there's possibly 100,000 each day north of Portlaoise, a few accidents each day are almost inevitable unfortunately.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement