Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

And much better enforcement to prevent these incidents

Accidents should be the exception rather than the rule

It beggars belief how slow the authorities are to attend accidents or move accidents from our main thoroughfares, in most other countries any accident bar a major one would be moved asap, whereas in good old backward Ireland the Police stroll out whenever it suits them. I have lost count of the amount of stupid rear end accidents that I've come across on the N7 or M50, that happened at least an hour previously, and there they are still blocking one or two lanes, with not a Garda in sight, and half of Dublin in gridlock. I've always said that we should have a permanent Garda presence on the M50 during peak times, and likewise on the M7, M4 and M1. We also need to bring in regulated speed limits that can be changed to suit the conditions, with tougher penalties for those who causes accidents (particularly a rear ender) especially if it can be proved that they were on their phone at the time of the accident which is often the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

gilly2308 wrote: »
    It beggars belief how slow the authorities are to attend accidents or move accidents from our main thoroughfares, in most other countries any accident bar a major one would be moved asap, whereas in good old backward Ireland the Police stroll out whenever it suits them. I have lost count of the amount of stupid rear end accidents that I've come across on the N7 or M50, that happened at least an hour previously, and there they are still blocking one or two lanes, with not a Garda in sight, and half of Dublin in gridlock. I've always said that we should have a permanent Garda presence on the M50 during peak times, and likewise on the M7, M4 and M1. We also need to bring in regulated speed limits that can be changed to suit the conditions, with tougher penalties for those who causes accidents (particularly a rear ender) especially if it can be proved that they were on their phone at the time of the accident which is often the case.
    I think we need a new enforcement body that is modern and efficient. It could take the form of a reconstituted organisation like the PSNI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Its nothing to do with gardai or any other body. Its to do the the drivers.

Unless there is an injury there is absolutely no need for the gardai to be involved but the probeklm is with stuipd motorists who insist on calling gardai and leaving their cars exactly where they are until the gardai arrive.

the first thing a garda does is tell them to move the cars to the hard shoulder.

There no real difference in time attending an accident here compare to other countries - statistics show that and the UK is not much better than here with minor accidents causing huge delays due to the "wait for police" attitude. (I used to drive length and breath of UK for over 10 years)

So don't rush to blame authorites (its a total cop out based on no facts) - motorists are to blame, both for the accidents and also for refusing to move their vehicles to the hard shoulder as quickly as possible to minimise delays to other motorists.

More enforcent of undertaking and tailgating is required and that's where the authorites can improve immensely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

CeilingFly wrote: »

Its nothing to do with gardai or any other body. Its to do the the drivers.

Unless there is an injury there is absolutely no need for the gardai to be involved but the probeklm is with stuipd motorists who insist on calling gardai and leaving their cars exactly where they are until the gardai arrive.

the first thing a garda does is tell them to move the cars to the hard shoulder.

There no real difference in time attending an accident here compare to other countries - statistics show that and the UK is not much better than here with minor accidents causing huge delays due to the "wait for police" attitude. (I used to drive length and breath of UK for over 10 years)

So don't rush to blame authorites (its a total cop out based on no facts) - motorists are to blame, both for the accidents and also for refusing to move their vehicles to the hard shoulder as quickly as possible to minimise delays to other motorists.

More enforcent of undertaking and tailgating is required and that's where the authorites can improve immensely

Tell me. Why are people undertaking on this road? Because the Gardai never enforce correct lane usage. This is by far the biggest issue on the Naas dual carriageway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tell me. Why are people undertaking on this road? Because the Gardai never enforce correct lane usage. This is by far the biggest issue on the Naas dual carriageway.

With so many junctions the leftmost lane has traffic constantly entering and exiting it. It's like the auxiliary lane on the M50. Don't approve of middle lane hoggers but I don't see how it could matter much to traffic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well, I think we can safely say the works won't be starting tomorrow! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

sdanseo wrote: »
    Well, I think we can safely say the works won't be starting tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Traffic should be nice and handy as some people will pull sickies and the schools are off.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Traffic should be nice and handy as some people will pull sickies and the schools are off.

Getting in be grand. Fooked if I’m going near it coming home. It’s bad on the best days.

I’ll be working from home tomorrow. I suggest many here do the same. If it’s empty tomorrow then that’s a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Things looking bad and a lot of people being asked not to come in to work. Actually the road might be deserted at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

spacetweek wrote: »
    Things looking bad and a lot of people being asked not to come in to work. Actually the road might be deserted at this rate.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/ophelia-m7-virtually-deserted-monday-morning-rush-hour/189760

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It was pretty busy inbound around 6.30am when I was headed outbound towards work. (Then of course they had us gone by 11, should have just told us not to bloody bother).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

sdanseo wrote: »
    It was pretty busy inbound around 6.30am when I was headed outbound towards work. (Then of course they had us gone by 11, should have just told us not to bloody bother).

Same here! and I texted my boss Sunday night and he laughed at me! Drove in and sent home at 11! still the drive in was bliss with no traffic... Petty its not like that everyday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

benny79 wrote: »
    Same here! and I texted my boss Sunday night and he laughed at me! Drove in and sent home at 11! still the drive in was bliss with no traffic... Petty its not like that everyday :(

I genuinely don't think the main problem is the amount of traffic itself.. the main issues I see every day are tailgating, people cutting in front of others without looking/indicating or just out of ignorance (and lane-weaving to do so), and the dawdlers holding up traffic for no reason and/or tapping the brakes every few seconds.

An extra lane won't do much to address any of that :( I just expect the southbound queue to start coming up to the M7/M9 split rather than the ball at Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think the main problem is the amount of traffic itself.. the main issues I see every day are tailgating, people cutting in front of others without looking/indicating or just out of ignorance (and lane-weaving to do so), and the dawdlers holding up traffic for no reason and/or tapping the brakes every few seconds.

An extra lane won't do much to address any of that :( I just expect the southbound queue to start coming up to the M7/M9 split rather than the ball at Naas.

Amen!

The same for the M50 aswell! I seen it when sitting in the Aux lane for the N7 people come down in lane 2 and 3 and cut across everyone causing everyone to jump on the brakes! Plenty of d1ckheads in trucks and coaches at it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Truckermal wrote: »
    Amen!

The same for the M50 aswell! I seen it when sitting in the Aux lane for the N7 people come down in lane 2 and 3 and cut across everyone causing everyone to jump on the brakes! Plenty of d1ckheads in trucks and coaches at it too..

3 simple words will help this problem.

Average Speed Cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Serious of course its the amount of traffic! less traffic less people rushing, less need to people to tailgate and weaving.

But you're right in that most people do this commute daily see the amount of crashes etc and still would tailgate and the likes its shocking!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Average Speed Cameras.

They are operational for the Port Tunnel at the present time. Does anyone know how effective they have been?

Average speed cameras would be the answer, and could also be used to detect Motor Tax, NCT, and insurance violations as well. Coupled with variable speed limits, they would increase throughput on the congested motorways in the Dublin area.

It is much better to keep the traffic moving, even if slowly, than stationary.

Average Speed Cameras.

"Speed" isn't usually the issue in my experience as above... it's reckless behaviour like lane-weaving and dawdling/incorrect lane usage

ASC's won't do anything to detect those issues.. what's needed is AGS to get out and actually enforce more than "speed" and tax disc checks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    "Speed" isn't usually the issue in my experience as above... it's reckless behaviour like lane-weaving and dawdling/incorrect lane usage

ASC's won't do anything to detect those issues.. what's needed is AGS to get out and actually enforce more than "speed" and tax disc checks

Speed most certainly is a contributory factor, people speeding are forced to brake far more frequently this in turn causes ribbon braking which causes traffic to build. If everybody was forced to drive at 60kph at rush hour I would say there would be an instantaneous ease of issues.

Speed most certainly is a contributory factor, people speeding are forced to brake far more frequently this in turn causes ribbon braking which causes traffic to build. If everybody was forced to drive at 60kph at rush hour I would say there would be an instantaneous ease of issues.

Again, not reflective of the reality.

What causes people to brake far more often is someone cutting into the lane ahead of them (or my favourite.. brake, maybe indicate, switch lanes while still braking??), those driving too close to the car ahead, and of course the drivers who tap the brakes every few seconds for no reason.

Incorrect lane usage, poor driving standards, poor observational skills and just plain ignorance is a far bigger problem on the roads than "speeding"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Loath as I am to derail this thread from posting about the traffic between Kildare and Dublin back to, you know, the actual topic, but someone said yesterday that work had already begun on the Sallins by-pass.

Does anyone here know whether that's true and, if so, where is this work they're speaking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Check my post #882 @ 05-09-2017. That post has an attached image
    Anatom wrote: »
    Loath as I am to derail this thread from posting about the traffic between Kildare and Dublin back to, you know, the actual topic, but someone said yesterday that work had already begun on the Sallins by-pass.

Does anyone here know whether that's true and, if so, where is this work they're speaking of?
    davidm20 wrote: »
    Sallins By-Pass

Seem to have started a little work in the last week.

The area around Link 1 is been boarded off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I saw piling machines near the railway while walking along the canal towards the Leinster Aquaduct, I could maybe go out that way and get some pictures, (and put them up when I get a few more posts up....)
    davidm20 wrote: »
    Check my post #882 @ 05-09-2017. That post has an attached image

EDIT: That would be roughly the area where I saw them.

Thanks for that, I must go out and have a look. It's good to hear that something has started at least. The railway is due to be closed off there completely at some point isn't it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: this is not the forum for discussing driver behaviour. The place for that is the motors forum.

I will delete off topic posts in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Could that work be for the railway under bridge which is part of a separate contract?

Not sure. I know there's a lot of work to be done there for a new by-pass bridge over / under the railway, so its probably that. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

It’s probably for the link under the railway for the Sallins by-pass.

Advertisement