Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Works compound being created beside merlin auctions - loads of machines and temporary office buildings now on site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Works compound being created beside merlin auctions - loads of machines and temporary office buildings now on site.
    For the record, that's just off J10?

Middle Man wrote: »
    For the record, that's just off J10?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crash this morning at Rathcoole, no visible damage to either car, didn't stop them stopping in the middle of the road and causing 2k tailbacks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Crash this morning at Rathcoole, no visible damage to either car, didn't stop them stopping in the middle of the road and causing 2k tailbacks.

What time was that? Roads were virtually empty for me before 9.... was is due to the fog?

• Advertisement

What time was that? Roads were virtually empty for me before 9.... was is due to the fog?

This was about 7.45

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still no sign of anything starting anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

pad199207 wrote: »
    Still no sign of anything starting anytime soon

Yea thought it would have have started this week but still no sign. Traffic horrendous again this morning and evening and this is mid term

sea12 wrote: »
    Yea thought it would have have started this week but still no sign. Traffic horrendous again this morning and evening and this is mid term

There was a train strike today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I managed to get some photos yesterday of the work so far, they are preparing for the overbridge of the train line currently.

EDIT: Here are the pictures, they look to be preparing piers for a bridge, and an embankment over the railway, rather than going under the railway.

Raised area beside railway
    432723.jpg

Steel cages for piers
    432724.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

First JCB on site next to KerryGroup today. Left of pic is the old bridge over the M7 at what will be the new J9A. JCB is on the future link road.

432656.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Any guesses as to when work will expand to the mainline and 60km/h limits kick in? Looks to be a fairly slow start so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Don’t forget, train strike tomorrow. Better leave a stupid-o’clock to get in for 9

Don’t forget, train strike tomorrow. Better leave a stupid-o’clock to get in for 9

For those that get the train from Sallins. I find you can drive to the Cheeverstown Luas park and ride. There are lots of spaces there all morning and parking is 2 Euro for the day. Good alternative to the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Yea was expecting to see some start on the main line today but still nothing. They will be hard pressed to get it done in the 18 months when there is two months gone already and nothing started

sea12 wrote: »
    Yea was expecting to see some start on the main line today but still nothing. They will be hard pressed to get it done in the 18 months when there is two months gone already and nothing started

On such a major contract you can't simply throw a few machines and men on and hope for the best.

Site offices are now operational, machinery is being acquired, and I would assume that there are many health and safety meetings.

Everything is about the right preparation - remember, the contractor must finish on time or face substantial penalties.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This scheme was never going to be straight start on the mainline due to the traffic management required - most early work will be behind the scenes and then it'll be apparent in the mainline

I would guess that you will not see anythig happen on the M7 itself this side of Christmas due to potential of pre Christmas traffic issues.

But plenty of work can be done without affecting traffic - the sallins bypass + the new junction 10a and also the moving of junction 10 a little further south. these are the major infrastucture works. The laying of an extra lane is relatively simple in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

marno21 wrote: »
    This scheme was never going to be straight start on the mainline due to the traffic management required - most early work will be behind the scenes and then it'll be apparent in the mainline
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    I would guess that you will not see anythig happen on the M7 itself this side of Christmas due to potential of pre Christmas traffic issues.

But plenty of work can be done without affecting traffic - the sallins bypass + the new junction 10a and also the moving of junction 10 a little further south. these are the major infrastucture works. The laying of an extra lane is relatively simple in comparison

My only experience of a 3rd lane addition was the M1 which is very close to me where it runs past Swords. That was somewhere between 12 to 18 months so I had figured that an 18 month timespan on the scheme would mean works on the mainline starting reasonably close to the start date.

In any event, it's good to see any work getting off the ground and hopefully they are making good progress out of sight. Have my eye on a drone for Christmas - maybe in the black Friday sales if anything pops up - so who knows may be able to get a few shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

sdanseo wrote: »
    My only experience of a 3rd lane addition was the M1 which is very close to me where it runs past Swords. That was somewhere between 12 to 18 months so I had figured that an 18 month timespan on the scheme would mean works on the mainline starting reasonably close to the start date.

In any event, it's good to see any work getting off the ground and hopefully they are making good progress out of sight. Have my eye on a drone for Christmas - maybe in the black Friday sales if anything pops up - so who knows may be able to get a few shots.

Working away on driving poles for the Railway overpass as part of the Sallins bypass this morning, so work being done!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

FredFunk wrote: »
    Working away on driving poles for the Railway overpass as part of the Sallins bypass this morning, so work being done!!

Pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

spacetweek wrote: »
    Pic?

Yep and also shovels and spades and heavy machinery too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

spacetweek wrote: »
    Pic?

I put some up further up in the thread. I'll maybe walk over there this weekend and see what progress has been made in the last week, but I can't imagine it will have changed too much

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Seeing more machinery by the day on both sides of the new junction 9a

Will the upgrade works convert the n7 to the M7?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will the upgrade works convert the n7 to the M7?

There's long term plans but this work isn't affecting the N7 at all.

L1011 wrote: »
    There's long term plans but this work isn't affecting the N7 at all.

Are they not adding a third lane?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are they not adding a third lane?

That's the M7. It's the N7 between Naas North and the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Significant work now beside Kerry Group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone know when Junction 9A is due to open? Would they have it so that M7 traffic can use it to access Millennium Park ahead of the Salinns Bypass/3 Lane M7 is complete?

Advertisement