Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone know when Junction 9A is due to open? Would they have it so that M7 traffic can use it to access Millennium Park ahead of the Salinns Bypass/3 Lane M7 is complete?

The bypass is primarily on greenfield area and progressing, so no reason for it to open at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Never mind, I see the planned end date for the whole scheme is next October!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563600

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Never mind, I see the planned end date for the whole scheme is next October!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563600

Start was delayed by ~ 6 months. Projected end date one would imagine is now April 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

sdanseo wrote: »
    Start was delayed by ~ 6 months. Projected end date one would imagine is now April 2019.

From what I hear SIAC and Colas are still not up to strength staff wise so that may be impacting but then again look at bam in the south there still looking for staff and there roads are well started

Motorway widening set for completion summer 2019, junctions and Sallins bypass end 2019 (officially early 2020)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

From reading this thread I'd say I must be alone in dreading this work getting under-way in earnest.

Don't get me wrong, I realise it has to be done. But the thoughts of a year and a half of it being way worse than it already is, fills me with dread.

It's going to be a year and a half of torture.

From reading this thread I'd say I must be alone in dreading this work getting under-way in earnest.

Don't get me wrong, I realise it has to be done. But the thoughts of a year and a half of it being way worse than it already is, fills me with dread.

I don't think it'll be all that bad.

The interchanges will be constructed offline, and only one bridge has to be constructed spanning the M7. 2 lanes in each direction at all times and with a 60km/h limit traffic will probably flow better at busy times than it does now. There are always HGVs in lane 2 and so speed is essentially capped at 92km/h anyway - except with everyone in line tailgating and stamping on the brake pedal while trying in vain to get ahead. All that goes away with the lower limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I don't think it'll be all that bad.

The interchanges will be constructed offline, and only one bridge has to be constructed spanning the M7. 2 lanes in each direction at all times and with a 60km/h limit traffic will probably flow better at busy times than it does now. There are always HGVs in lane 2 and so speed is essentially capped at 92km/h anyway - except with everyone in line tailgating and stamping on the brake pedal while trying in vain to get ahead. All that goes away with the lower limit.

I sincerely hope you're right fella.

Last year there was work being done on the M9 or was it the M7? Anyway.... they lowered limits then too and it added on a good 20 mins for me.
    They had signs up saying average speed cameras, which were not enforced.
    End result in the very early mornings was some obeying limits and others tail-gating and flashing and the whole thing got a bit Lionel Messi.
    Evenings was just stop-start entirely.

If they can make this work more smoothly then great but I can just see 18 months of pain. Hope I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Will the upgrade works convert the n7 to the M7?

No, the works are only affecting the M7, which has been a motorway since it opened in 1983. The Naas DC from the M50 to Naas was substantially upgraded in 2006, widened to D3 and given grade separated interchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm of the opinion it can't or won't be any worse. At least the traffic will be managed and two lanes open during the day/s at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

road_high wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion it can't or won't be any worse. At least the traffic will be managed and two lanes open during the day/s at all times.

Once again 2 accidents this morning. 1hr 47 mins from Farside Portlaoise to redcow. It's gone beyond the joke at this stage. Why can't they have traffic Corp on the road at all times in morning and evening keeping traffic at steady pace like a pace car in formula 1. This is before the roadworks start ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

1hr 47 mins from Farside Portlaoise to redcow

That time is probably normal for an arrive -by- 9am scenario ? A 3rd lane out to M9 may not improve this type of journey as much as you think ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah probably better off taking the train from portloaise.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

trellheim wrote: »
    That time is probably normal for an arrive -by- 9am scenario ? A 3rd lane out to M9 may not improve this type of journey as much as you think ....

Google says 60-75mins typical at that time.

Any journey both starting and ending within Co. Dublin should not require a private car or the use of the M50, which should be reserved for journeys around the city (my own commute of Swords to Naas is a good example, there is simply no public transport option for that), not as a shortcut for getting from say, Santry to Dundrum. Those sort of journeys should be undertaken with Public transport because actual public transport exists - although it's nowhere near good enough.

Because these people who could use public transport don't, and because there is a stupidly low presence of decent public transport, people therefore predominantly use the M50 to get to the major industrial areas, the Naas Rd and Long Mile Rd inbound are at capacity probably before the existence of the N7 is even considered.

Our ridiculous reliance on the private car causes all of the delays on the approach routes including the N7/M7 and no amount of upgrading will stop peak traffic being a nightmare, because it all comes down to two lanes @ 60km/h and traffic lights after the Red Cow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any journey both starting and ending within Co. Dublin should not require a private car or the use of the M50, which should be reserved for journeys around the city (my own commute of Swords to Naas is a good example, there is simply no public transport option for that), not as a shortcut for getting from say, Santry to Dundrum. Those sort of journeys should be undertaken with Public transport because actual public transport exists - although it's nowhere near good enough.

Because these people who could use public transport don't, and because there is a stupidly low presence of decent public transport, people therefore predominantly use the M50 to get to the major industrial areas, the Naas Rd and Long Mile Rd inbound are at capacity probably before the existence of the N7 is even considered.

Our ridiculous reliance on the private car causes all of the delays on the approach routes including the N7/M7 and no amount of upgrading will stop peak traffic being a nightmare, because it all comes down to two lanes @ 60km/h and traffic lights after the Red Cow.

The main issue in my eyes is that there's a high capacity rail line coming in from Kildare. Great that. Then it stops dead at a suburban rail station and people have to leave the train and get onto a wedged tram to get to the city centre, which is only gaining the ability to switch to the tram that goes to the southern suburbs in a weeks time.

Ideally, you could get a DART in from Hazelhatch/Heuston to the city centre or interchange at SSG for Sandyford/Dundrum etc. At the minute, even with the horrific mess of an N7, Kildare-Sandyford etc commutes are best served by car.

In my opinion, the M1 to M50 south of Tallaght commutes are a massive contributor to M50 traffic. Metro North will incentivise a lot of these with the connection to the Green Line/Metro South. As you say, Santry-Dundrum best served with the M50 is ludicrous. Perhaps looking at express orbital bus routes as well but these will still be stuck in the M50 jams, or the jams in the city centre. Segregated rail is the way forward, otherwise you're just trying to get people to sit in a bus in traffic instead of their cars.

Carrots, and not sticks, are what we need right now. Unforunately, the next carrot will be open for 2027.

marno21 wrote: »
    The main issue in my eyes is that there's a high capacity rail line coming in from Kildare. Great that. Then it stops dead at a suburban rail station and people have to leave the train and get onto a wedged tram to get to the city centre, which is only gaining the ability to switch to the tram that goes to the southern suburbs in a weeks time.

Ideally, you could get a DART in from Hazelhatch/Heuston to the city centre or interchange at SSG for Sandyford/Dundrum etc. At the minute, even with the horrific mess of an N7, Kildare-Sandyford etc commutes are best served by car.

Reasonable choice of trains from Sallins / Newbridge / kildare to Connolly, Pearse and grand canal dock

Or from 9th December, heuston - luas to O'Connell st and switch to green line. A bit of hopping on/off - but same in most cities.

Would be nice for phoenix park trains to be faster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Reasonable choice of trains from Sallins / Newbridge / kildare to Connolly, Pearse and grand canal dock

Or from 9th December, heuston - luas to O'Connell st and switch to green line. A bit of hopping on/off - but same in most cities.

Would be nice for phoenix park trains to be faster though.

One of the things I wanted to see was a LUAS and PPT stop near Cabra. There is just about room for a combined stop. This would give a single interchange from PPT/Kildare to Sandyford and all on Public Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

So everyone else should use PT and leave the roads nice and clear for your commute?

Naas - Airport: Dublin Coach N7
    Airport - Swords: Dublin Bus 41/102

Vic_08 wrote: »
    So everyone else should use PT and leave the roads nice and clear for your commute?

Naas - Airport: Dublin Coach N7
    Airport - Swords: Dublin Bus 41/102

Absolutely not and I apologise profusely if that's how it came across. I work 10 - 7 so I miss the majority of the traffic anyway, luckily - and I don't blame anyone for using it at the moment because our public transport is in an absolute shambles. What I'm saying is that the road was intended as a bypass and that in a perfect world this is how it would operate and used my situation as an example.

As for the Dublin Coach for those not so fortunate, not a viable option. Try looking up how much an annual ticket costs even with tax save over those sort of distances, then add that the coach would have to sit in the traffic as well, since the M50 doesn't have bus lanes.

Anyone know when Junction 9A is due to open? Would they have it so that M7 traffic can use it to access Millennium Park ahead of the Salinns Bypass/3 Lane M7 is complete?

Was chatting to someone working in Kerry group today and it seems that this will happen. Kerry group made a substantial payment towards the cost of the new junction and part of the agreement was prioritising 9a access from m7.

No date set, but she was saying the hope was for end of next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Was chatting to someone working in Kerry group today and it seems that this will happen. Kerry group made a substantial payment towards the cost of the new junction and part of the agreement was prioritising 9a access from m7.

No date set, but she was saying the hope was for end of next summer.

That would go some way to alleviating the jams along the Monread Road alright. Hopefully, it'll come through on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

trellheim wrote: »
    One of the things I wanted to see was a LUAS and PPT stop near Cabra. There is just about room for a combined stop. This would give a single interchange from PPT/Kildare to Sandyford and all on Public Transport.

think I read something on one of the rail threads that it's not really possible because the rail line there is curved with no space for platforms.

loyatemu wrote: »
    think I read something on one of the rail threads that it's not really possible because the rail line there is curved with no space for platforms.

Whoever said that should visit Tara Street. Not only curved and cramped but also elevated...and perfectly functional.

Brilliant opportunity at Cabra for a 3-way interchange with the Sligo/NW Line, Kildare/SW Line and Luas all in the same building, albeit with a small 20m-offset or so realignment of the railway needed.

Worst case scenario if more space is needed they could buy the vacant site beside Bachelors/Valeo, level one of their warehouses and build them a new one there. They'd probably bite the hand off at the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I see them working beside Kerry group snd across the other side of the motorway. Is this the route of the new saloons bypass. And the bridge they are using was an old farm access bridge. Is this being demolished when it's finished?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

sea12 wrote: »
    I see them working beside Kerry group snd across the other side of the motorway. Is this the route of the new saloons bypass. And the bridge they are using was an old farm access bridge. Is this being demolished when it's finished?

Yes, this is the route of the new R407 Sallins Bypass, the existing bridge is being demolished as part of the works and being replaced by a new bridge to take the Sallins bypass over the M7, which will also be part of the new Junction 9A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Couple of Flashing Signs have been erected N7 outbound.

M7 widening works to commence January 3rd.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

There is a website that is live and has information.

the first update is basically.
    median work to start, all traffic moved to hard shoulder and lane 1.
    Speed Reduced to 60kph
    Work to begin Jan 6th.

http://www.m7upgrade.com/

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    There is a website that is live and has information.

the first update is basically.
    median work to start, all traffic moved to hard shoulder and lane 1.
    Speed Reduced to 60kph
    Work to begin Jan 6th.

http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Great find. Thanks for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

What will the new junction 10 South Naas look like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

The Sallins Bypass bridge under the main Dublin Cork railway linewill be constructed by Irish Rail under a separate but parallel contract.

bridge under a train line:confused::confused:

Advertisement