Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    The Sallins Bypass bridge under the main Dublin Cork railway linewill be constructed by Irish Rail under a separate but parallel contract.

bridge under a train line:confused::confused:
    Yes doable, what they do is build the bridge "offline" and then close the line for a long weekend, lift the track, remove the railway embankment then slide the bridge into place and relay the track.

edit:

something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

ah so the train goes over the bridge i was thinking the car would drive over a bridge under a train line

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

The fun and games start next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

pad199207 wrote: »
    The fun and games start next week!

They started today (the fun and games)

Onlookers should seriously be rounded up and shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They started today (the fun and games)

Onlookers should seriously be rounded up and shot

If you mean this evening's delays that was an accident due to a crash during an Armed Garda pursuit. N7N closed at J8 up the off slip and back on at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Traffic was a breeze this evening coming home!

Saying a few prayers tonight for us all having to put up with the next few years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pad199207 wrote: »
    Traffic was a breeze this evening coming home!

Saying a few prayers tonight for us all having to put up with the next few years.
    It won't be that bad. There will still be 2 running lanes at peak times on both carriageways, and the traffic may be limited to 60km/h but it wouldn't be going any faster anyway.

Anyway good to see it start. Hopefully plenty of work done in 2018 on the side jobs that will deliver quite a few benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    It won't be that bad. There will still be 2 running lanes at peak times on both carriageways, and the traffic may be limited to 60km/h but it wouldn't be going any faster anyway.

Anyway good to see it start. Hopefully plenty of work done in 2018 on the side jobs that will deliver quite a few benefits.

Bizarrely, I can see it actually being better in some respects- at least the traffic will be "managed" rather than the incessant concertina effect you get on that road daily and at present. Which is of course hugely down to desperate lane discipline on the M7.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    Bizarrely, I can see it actually being better in some respects- at least the traffic will be "managed" rather than the incessant concertina effect you get on that road daily and at present. Which is of course hugely down to desperate lane discipline on the M7.
    This is very true - especially if the speed limit is heavily enforced as we've been told it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

This is very true - especially if the speed limit is heavily enforced as we've been told it will be.

60kph limit with fixed speed cameras and you probably wouldnt even need to widen the lanes!

Also, remember the schools are still off so that's helping things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Due to the route involved, there's unlikely to be much school traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Trouble is, a lot of workers who are parents to these kids will also be off work this week. Its definitely quieter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

spacetweek wrote: »

Teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Glad to hear the work starting, using the M7 to get onto M9 most weekends will fixed or average speed cameras be put in place I wonder. Doesn't shock me that some people don't understand the difference.

If I recall correctly about 2 years ago will work was been done on the M7 you would see people jumping on the brakes just as they approach "average speed cameras" if they were infact turned on or not is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I see the traffic cones on the north bound hard shoulder from the m9m7 merge to the naas ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Once the kids go back to school next week I'd expect it to get much worse.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

spacetweek wrote: »

When schools are off many workers also take time off and others will change their travel times. Thus lightening rush hour traffic, but it usually means heavier traffic late morning as people go shopping or do other leisure activity.

I haven't seen any cones yet, but I suspect that the weather meant that was delayed

road_high wrote: »

Doesn't even deserve to be called desperate. No truck has any business overtaking another slightlw slower truck between J9 and J11 but they all do it anyway just to gain an extra couple of km/h. Sit back and wait lads.

Slows everyone else down by >40km/h, brake light effect, presto traffic jam.

I deal with truckers every day, unfortunately the aim is to get ahead and not much else.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Doesn't even deserve to be called desperate. No truck has any business overtaking another slightlw slower truck between J9 and J11 but they all do it anyway just to gain an extra couple of km/h. Sit back and wait lads.

I deal with truckers every day, unfortunately the aim is to get ahead and not much else.

Looking forward to the posts in 2019 with people complaining about trucks in the middle lane :)

Given the traffic volumes on the M7 there should be at least some ANPR cameras. These would be useful for catching these kind of issues

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the posts in 2019 with people complaining about trucks in the middle lane :)

Given the traffic volumes on the M7 there should be at least some ANPR cameras. These would be useful for catching these kind of issues

I'll probably be typing those posts.

As for enforcement of anything other than speed, I'll eat my hat (and enjoy doing so) when I see any proper attempt at a campaign. Operation Enable has got more effort put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Trucks can be an issue but I find it's dullards in their Nissan Tiidas etc taking an ice age to overtake a few trucks much worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Drove northbound this morning, (first time since wed) I see hard shoulder yellow border has been stripped and painted white ready from jn10 on M7 right up to jn8 on N7,
    All cones in place ready for swap over ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sooner they go driverless the better. Would improve motorway traffic everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe not during the worst of the peak hours, but I generally hit that stretch about an hour later (both ways) and unless someone has run into someone else (again!) there's no problem whatsoever doing 120.

Dawdling at 60 km/h through the affected stretch will be torturous and arguably more dangerous in reality as the tailgating, lane-weaving and general frustration levels will be much worse unless there's a physical reason for it and not just empty coned-off areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Maybe not during the worst of the peak hours, but I generally hit that stretch about an hour later (both ways) and unless someone has run into someone else (again!) there's no problem whatsoever doing 120.

Dawdling at 60 km/h through the affected stretch will be torturous and arguably more dangerous in reality as the tailgating, lane-weaving and general frustration levels will be much worse unless there's a physical reason for it and not just empty coned-off areas.

With the speed cameras in operation 24/7, you may be pleasantly suprised.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I'd be on existing M7 around 10am outbound and 7pm inbound. Mostly reasonably clear runs but as mentioned one person overtaking slowly, most often trucks, and it's 90km/h.

Of 10 journeys in the week I get to do 120km/h at some point maybe half the time and the whole stretch from J9 to J10 at 120km/h maybe twice.

Northbound works begin this morning at 6am; southbound on Monday at 6am

Good to see work taking place on Sunday during quieter hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

So 60km/h signs have gone up

I set speed limiter and did the 60 (left lane before anyone asks) ... absolutely painful.

EVERY single car under the sun flew past me and the ones behind me all overtook. Felt like I was crawling too.

No speed traps along the route in the end

Extremely difficult to do the 60. Might be easier in commuter traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement