Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Last 2 days a mixed bag, have been sticking to the 60km/h as you never know the goldfish-shooters could crop up at any time.

Yesterday morning and this morning, was what I can only describe as being aggresively tailgated by HGVs, coaches (special mention to Dublin Coach, two of whose drivers sat inches from my rear bumper and one of which overtook leaving next to no clearance). This evening on the other hand was alright, everyone still doing 80 but a few stragglers happy enough to sit behind me.

Of note, this evening coming past J9 NB a lady driver joined the from Naas and somehow ended up using the hard shoulder as a driving lane, then undertook me in the shoulder (we were in the 60 zone still) and when I beeped seemed to realise her error and moved pretty panicky into Lane 1. Set my cruise to 100 and must have leapfrogged each other 3 or 4 times back to the M50, really erratic driving.

In short, the temporary speed limit needs to be enforced with average speed cameras or constant Garda presence, or it's simply unsafe if people are going to behave so aggressively. I wouldn't blame anyone who did 80 or 90km/h purely because there's a 44,000kg truck sitting 3m behind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is the temporary speed limit from J8 to J10? I thought that was a misprint. Is there any actual work area between J8 and J10?

If so I presume the initial work is widening J9-J10 and then widening J10-J11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

marno21 wrote: »
    Is the temporary speed limit from J8 to J10? I thought that was a misprint. Is there any actual work area between J8 and J10?

If so I presume the initial work is widening J9-J10 and then widening J10-J11?

The work is just between j10 and 11 at the moment and so is the speed limit.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Last 2 days a mixed bag, have been sticking to the 60km/h as you never know the goldfish-shooters could crop up at any time.

Yesterday morning and this morning, was what I can only describe as being aggresively tailgated by HGVs, coaches (special mention to Dublin Coach, two of whose drivers sat inches from my rear bumper and one of which overtook leaving next to no clearance). This evening on the other hand was alright, everyone still doing 80 but a few stragglers happy enough to sit behind me.

Of note, this evening coming past J9 NB a lady driver joined the from Naas and somehow ended up using the hard shoulder as a driving lane, then undertook me in the shoulder (we were in the 60 zone still) and when I beeped seemed to realise her error and moved pretty panicky into Lane 1. Set my cruise to 100 and must have leapfrogged each other 3 or 4 times back to the M50, really erratic driving.

In short, the temporary speed limit needs to be enforced with average speed cameras or constant Garda presence, or it's simply unsafe if people are going to behave so aggressively. I wouldn't blame anyone who did 80 or 90km/h purely because there's a 44,000kg truck sitting 3m behind.

Just go with the traffic flow. Don't be trying to stick to 60. You'll only end up causing an accident when the rest if traffic is not keeping at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

sea12 wrote: »
    Just go with the traffic flow. Don't be trying to stick to 60. You'll only end up causing an accident when the rest if traffic is not keeping at 60.

Sweet FA comfort if I’m clocked and end up with points over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

sea12 wrote:

It was 60 from J8 on Monday morning at least. I couldn't figure out why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

nope, current speed restrictions and new layout is between Jn 8 and Jn 10.
    work will commence on the mainline between jn9 and 10 first and this will be the plan till September.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

In Naas this evening (coming out of Millennium Park) and traffic was catastrophic, couldn't get out of car park, had never seen traffic like it. Seemed to be directly related to back-up on the Sallins Road. Not sure if it is related to works but was very heavy yesterday as well and can't help but feel it's more than a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

J8 and J10.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Walked past the works for crossing the railway line at the weekend, they have what looks like a box section sitting in place close to the line, its got concrete sections on top for the railway tracks to go in, I'd say when they close the line for tie in works later this year that whole box is just getting pushed into a hole they make and then they can do the railway tie in quite rapidly. Didn't manage to get any pictures as it was very dark when I got there unfortunately.

Sliding into place Easter weekend I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

From Kildare Garda on Facebook:

Vehicle clocked at 141kph in the 60kph M7 works zone today. Driver may be facing a charge of Dangerous Driving which carries an automatic loss of licence on conviction.

Please note that the 60kph limits are in place and are being enforced during the M7 Upgrade works.This is necessary for the safety of those doing the work and for motorists during transitional lane arrangements. Please obey the 60kph limits in these zones

Updates on the traffic management arrangements for the works can be found at www.m7upgrade.com/traffic-management

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

From Kildare Garda on Facebook:

Vehicle clocked at 141kph in the 60kph M7 works zone today. Driver may be facing a charge of Dangerous Driving which carries an automatic loss of licence on conviction.

Please note that the 60kph limits are in place and are being enforced during the M7 Upgrade works.This is necessary for the safety of those doing the work and for motorists during transitional lane arrangements. Please obey the 60kph limits in these zones

Updates on the traffic management arrangements for the works can be found at www.m7upgrade.com/traffic-management
    The more idiots off the road, the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

What's with all the whinging about speed limits.

Gardai are reasonable. Do a reasonable speed and you and other traffic will be fine.

And then we can get the thread back on progress of the works rather than moans about someone going a little faster / slower than others. Gardai will enforce speed, not other motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd have to agree.. 140 through that zone is ridiculous.. the surface outbound around J9 is crap, the lanes are narrower... no sympathy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Website for the scheme is here www.m7upgrade.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

CeilingFly wrote: »
    What's with all the whinging about speed limits.

Gardai are reasonable. Do a reasonable speed and you and other traffic will be fine.

And then we can get the thread back on progress of the works rather than moans about someone going a little faster / slower than others. Gardai will enforce speed, not other motorists.

Yes, reading this thread of late you would not think the works we've all longed for had not begun. Its happening people, two short years of slighty more pain and it's all over. Cant wait for the day I glide down the N7 to M9 without stopping in rush hour.

Well, I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Middle Man wrote: »
    The more idiots off the road, the better!

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/951021616141684737

They are enforcing it so, another one caught earlier.

Truckermal wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/951021616141684737

They are enforcing it so, another one caught earlier.

Looks like it’s being enforced outside of rush hour anyway. It’s peak times that need enforcement the most

They are going to be good few days putting up the portable crash Barriers in place of the cones. Look brand new also. Where these come from? Ireland or uk? iStrong looking though would not like to be crashing into them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was on the road again, northbound between the 2 Naas exits. Much slower and at 10am. What ever about the crash barriers on the right, there's going to be a fair few leaving the road to the left. Alot of muck on the inside lane, from lorries. The only thing to show you to keep out are a few cones, and they'll be dirty tomorrow. That whole section need to be lit up. I think I'll be skipping that way for a while. Caragh, Bodenstown, and out at Kill.

• Advertisement

They are going to be good few days putting up the portable crash Barriers in place of the cones. Look brand new also. Where these come from? Ireland or uk? iStrong looking though would like to be crashing into them.

Covas, who are joint partners in the scheme are one of the most experienced motorway builders in uk and france, so I suspect its their safety systems that are being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Id advise people to keep the speed up with the flow of traffic at the moment till the 60 kmh is enforced. People who drive at 60 when everyone is doing 80/90 causes accidents imo even though I know they are technically obeying the law. Going to fast is obviously dangerous but so is going to slow!

Its called rush hour for a reason after all..

benny79 wrote: »
    Id advise people to keep the speed up with the flow of traffic at the moment till the 60 kmh is enforced. People who drive at 60 when everyone is doing 80/90 causes accidents imo even though I know they are technically obeying the law. Going to fast is obviously dangerous but so is going to slow!

Its called rush hour for a reason after all..

And my point is that I guess i'll find out when enforcement is as soon as the 3 points and fine arrive... I've a clean licence and I strongly intend to keep it that way

Guards were just past J10 this morning. Everyone obeying the limit.... until they got closer to J9 and then it was a free for all again.... between J9 and J8 is lethal. Wide, straight open stretch of road and you'll be crucified for trying to stay at 60km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Average speed cameras are the only answer here. The stress being caused without them is unreal.

Just as frustrating though will be those who will only drive at 50kph for fear of speeding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod : Can we give the speed limit a rest. If you want to continue this, do it in the motoring section. This thread is for discussing the progress of the upgrade, not moaning about drivers.

Future speed limit posts will be deleted.

So is there a plan available of the planned works. Do for the moment it's j8-j10. Are they going to complete this and then move it down to j10-j11.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I can see it being mayhem this evening around the big ball , it’s bad enough on a normal Friday but with the short tie in to the M7 southbound from Naas, there’ll be big queues getting onto the motorway, then if things are backed up more than normal, you’ll have extra traffic using Kill and Johnstown as a rat run, leading to even more traffic at the big ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Why are they starting at junction 8 sure its already 3 lanes there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I can see it being mayhem this evening around the big ball , it’s bad enough on a normal Friday but with the short tie in to the M7 southbound from Naas, there’ll be big queues getting onto the motorway, then if things are backed up more than normal, you’ll have extra traffic using Kill and Johnstown as a rat run, leading to even more traffic at the big ball.

Welcome to the next 2 years (or period of construction).

It certainly will be painful but all I do is look to the outcome when it's finished. Also, remember that many road projects come in ahead of schedule (Newlands Cross flyover as an example)

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    Why are they starting at junction 8 sure its already 3 lanes there...

realignment - you can't just "add a lane" and in any case one of the lanes from J8 to Naas ball is for turniogn off at Naas, so there will be four lanes at this juncture - one for veering off into Naas

Advertisement