Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Not questioning the Mod's comment here but if we cannot discuss speed/lack of it during the works then are we still allowed discuss traffic etc?

I mean they're all related to the works and affecting us commuters during this process, so I was kind of enjoying people's inputs tbh, it was helpful.

Or is this thread purely for comments on the actual progress of the works themselves? Fair enough if so. It might be worth creating a second thread in motoring about general discussion? (if theres one already then someone please post link ifI missed it)

Might as well ask before banging on about the traffic flow today and getting banned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Looks like a sudden change is being made. From KildareNow website:

Following last night’s cancellation of works due to foggy weather conditions, Kildare CO Council said the following:

In order to improve the westbound merge from Junction 9 (Naas North), SIAC Colas JV will be carrying out emergency works tonight.

The Junction 9 (Naas North) Westbound on- slip will be closed overnight between 10pm – 6am and traffic will be diverted onto M7 Eastbound to exit and re-join M7 Westbound at Junction 8 (Johnstown)

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/urgent-road-closure-tonight-m7junction-9-ramp/202866

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not questioning the Mod's comment here but if we cannot discuss speed/lack of it during the works then are we still allowed discuss traffic etc?
    No, this forum is about infrastructure, not traffic congestion, speeding, or that kind of thing.
    I mean they're all related to the works and affecting us commuters during this process, so I was kind of enjoying people's inputs tbh, it was helpful.
    Open a thread in the Motoring forum, it is a more appropriate area for that kind of discussion.
    Or is this thread purely for comments on the actual progress of the works themselves? Fair enough if so. It might be worth creating a second thread in motoring about general discussion? (if there's one already then someone please post link ifI missed it)

Yes, that is exactly correct. If traffic discussions were allowed, then that is all that would be discussed, and the Mororing forum would miss out, and we would not like that.

Might as well ask before banging on about the traffic flow today and getting banned :)

You should use the PM function to get this kind of answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

No, this forum is about infrastructure, not traffic congestion, speeding, or that kind of thing.

Open a thread in the Motoring forum, it is a more appropriate area for that kind of discussion.

Yes, that is exactly correct. If traffic discussions were allowed, then that is all that would be discussed, and the Mororing forum would miss out, and we would not like that.

You should use the PM function to get this kind of answer.

Sound! Will do.

• Advertisement

OK, thread here in motoring for all that sort of talk, which will hopefully prevent any more off-topic stuff here too so everyones happy:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105820627#post105820627

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Does anyone have a link to the plans for the changes to Junction 10 Naas South?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

sdanseo wrote: »

That new southbound slip road at New Junction 10 looks desperately short. Should have a left slip too but not near enough room for it so it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

pad199207 wrote: »
    That new southbound slip road at New Junction 10 looks desperately short. Should have a left slip too but not near enough room for it so it seems.

Drawings are just drawings.

Road infrastructure these days are to best international standards - my guess is the drawing only shows the elevated part of the slip road with further space for joining running alongside the motorway as you have with most junctions.

I particularly like the new j10 - it will solve all the current issues of that junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I drove twice today from J9-J10. Very little work going on the first time at around 12:20 and no work whatsoever at around 15:00. Shame as weekends should be utilised as much as possible. I have a feeling next week will be the same as this one with working area cordoned off for safety reasons. I drove 60 km/h from Naas to Newbridge and every single car overtook me!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

regedit wrote: »
    I drove twice today from J9-J10. Very little work going on the first time at around 12:20 and no work whatsoever at around 15:00. Shame as weekends should be utilised as much as possible. I have a feeling next week will be the same as this one with working area cordoned off for safety reasons. I drove 60 km/h from Naas to Newbridge and every single car overtook me!
    Who do you suggest does this weekend work?
    I drew materials into it before Xmas Monday to Friday and I know I’ve no intention of working weekends whether it’s quieter or not!!! This is my free time that I feel I’m entitled to have off the same as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Patww79 wrote: »
    Then they should pay someone who will do it all week, and they would find someone if they wanted. Getting this done as soon as possible should be the priority.

I’d want double wages and I know most men in my position would too. Leading to more costs on the project. Plus engineers etc won’t want to be there at the weekends after spending 50 to )0 hrs there during the week.

regedit wrote: »

There's an old adage

Fail to prepare - prepare to fail.

All the safety systems are being installed at present and as they are being installed, barriers around lights and old crash Barriers are being removed.

Once that's complete, the main machines can start.

There will be plenty of weekend and overnight work - usually for parts they need to close off the motorway such as installation of new bridge work at the new 12a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Who do you suggest does this weekend work? I drew materials into it before Xmas Monday to Friday and I know I’ve no intention of working weekends whether it’s quieter or not!!! This is my free time that I feel I’m entitled to have off the same as yourself.

I wouldnt worry about it. As a subcontractor/supplier, im sure if you or your company wont do weekends another firm will only be too glad of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Who do you suggest does this weekend work?
    I drew materials into it before Xmas Monday to Friday and I know I’ve no intention of working weekends whether it’s quieter or not!!! This is my free time that I feel I’m entitled to have off the same as yourself.

Surely it doesn't need to be the exact same people there for 7 days. Look at shops and other businesses which work 7 days. It's not the same workers there every day. Everyone still works 5 (or less) days, just not all the same 5 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: M7 upgrade please.

Roads get built by workers and they work when they are required. I'm sure the contractors will sort this out. The heavy stuff has not started yet. Let us know when you see that start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Im sorry but ive bit my tongue now a few times on different threads in the Roads forum.
    What exactly can we discuss??
    Threads have become very quiet lately because discussion is being stifled by one mod in particular. I understand traffic incidents and such are not strictly related to the progress of a build, but they are relevant to the road being discussed.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Im sorry but ive bit my tongue now a few times on different threads in the Roads forum.
    What exactly can we discuss??
    Threads have become very quiet lately because discussion is being stifled by one mod in particular. I understand traffic incidents and such are not strictly related to the progress of a build, but they are relevant to the road being discussed.

I'm not trying to stifle debate, but whether a person is prepared to work weekends is of little relevance to the upgrade of the M7.

The work is just starting and the basic stuff like fencing, fixing the tea machine, etc is being done now. The heavy stuff gets the full working team, weekends if required. It is the same on all projects - slow start, steady progress, and then final push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

marno21 wrote:
    Yes, this is the route of the new R407 Sallins Bypass, the existing bridge is being demolished as part of the works and being replaced by a new bridge to take the Sallins bypass over the M7, which will also be part of the new Junction 9A.

I see some works going on just outside Sallins on the road to Clane, before the Prosperous Road.

Is this where the bypass will start?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    marno21 wrote:
    Yes, this is the route of the new R407 Sallins Bypass, the existing bridge is being demolished as part of the works and being replaced by a new bridge to take the Sallins bypass over the M7, which will also be part of the new Junction 9A.

I see some works going on just outside Sallins on the road to Clane, before the Prosperous Road.

Is this where the bypass will start?
    Yes. Full bypass route indicated here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/53.2455/-6.6767
    Just need to build two bridges across the Liffey, one across the Grand Canal, and sneak it under the Cork railway line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just being curious here but is there many Rail bridges in Ireland that go over a dual carriageway?

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just being curious here but is there many Rail bridges in Ireland that go over a dual carriageway?

M50 J6

M1 J18

Probably a couple in or around Belfast / M1 NI

Thought this was going to be an underbridge for the railway, not an overbridge. Seems I was wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Sorry if asked tonnes of times.,.,,
    What number will the junction be ?

D Trent wrote: »

9A

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

D Trent wrote: »
    9A is the most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

sdanseo wrote: »
    M50 J6

M1 J18

Probably a couple in or around Belfast / M1 NI

Thought this was going to be an underbridge for the railway, not an overbridge. Seems I was wrong!

It is an underbridge according to http://www.m7upgrade.com/overview:
    "The Sallins Bypass bridge under the main Dublin Cork railway line will be constructed by Irish Rail under a separate but parallel contract."

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

One extra lane each side and plenty of space.

The one thing they got right when laying it initially was to ensure enough space for extra lane.

Advertisement