Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Kevwoody wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of whinging in this thread!
    There is no space for a breakdown lane unless mainline traffic was reduced to one lane, which for obvious reasons is not an option.
    Also, people whinging about the progress of the build. Just because you drive through twice a day and cant suddenly see a change, doesnt mean theres no work being done.
    TII have said it will take 2 years, can everyone just shut up and be grateful the upgrade is happening.

Well maybe your not stuck on it every day. There is people leaving the likes of Portlaoise at 5 am every day to get to work on time.
    2 years is not too long if your just looking at a thread but 2 years when your stuck in it for hours every day and there is 2 excavators working on the main line. They could and should be working weekends which would ensure it was down 40% quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

sea12 wrote: »
    Well maybe your not stuck on it every day. There is people leaving the likes of Portlaoise at 5 am every day to get to work on time.
    r.

Bicycles are not allowed on motorways. :)

Anyone leaving Portlaoise at 5am will be well through the works by 5.30 - 5.40 and I've done 5.30 on Mondays to get early flights three times since jan and whilst not totally clear certainly no delays.

I'll try and get more info from someone in Kerry group, who seem to get the best information as they contributed 10m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Grateful for what, for successive governments who have allowed house prices and rental prices to go through the roof since pretty much 2000,  forcing people to move to Kildare, Laois, Offaly etc so that they can afford a home for their family. They have never provided  any kind of decent public transport, so these same people now spend anything from three to  four hours a day in their cars commuting to work. Yes I'm glad they they're finally upgrading the M7, but like everything in this country it's done way too slowly, and this whole Dublin centric notion has to change, otherwise Dublin will implode some day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Grateful for what, for successive governments who have allowed house prices and rental prices to go through the roof since pretty much 2000,  forcing people to move to Kildare, Laois, Offaly etc so that they can afford a home for their family. They have never provided  any kind of decent public transport, so these same people now spend anything from three to  four hours a day in their cars commuting to work. Yes I'm glad they they're finally upgrading the M7, but like everything in this country it's done way too slowly, and this whole Dublin centric notion has to change, otherwise Dublin will implode some day!!

Life isn't fair is something that comes to mind when I read quotes like this.

Ireland has progressed from the poorest nation in Western Europe to quite possibly the wealthiest all within one generation or so!

Its one of the most remarkable economic stories in history and if the fall out is you have to buy a house in Kildare then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Life isn't fair is something that comes to mind when I read quotes like this.

Ireland has progressed from the poorest nation in Western Europe to quite possibly the wealthiest all within one generation or so!

Its one of the most remarkable economic stories in history and if the fall out is you have to buy a house in Kildare then so be it.

You serious? they only people getting wealthy in this Country is the Government & Builders ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    if the fall out is you have to buy a house in Kildare then so be it.
    Actually no.
    Poor planning decisions pushed by political and business interests have made a mess on how housing policy is defined. Dublin should have more tall buildings and less sprawl. There should be more growth pushed in the regional cities and not just in Dublin.
    The urban sprawl nationally with poor or no public transport supports mean that people sit in their cars for long periods daily. This is leading to a poorer quality of life for many along wth increased risk of health problems. All of which will keep bubbling until it boils over in a number of years making a dusfunctional health system even worse.
    Still, we can kick the can down the road for another few years yet.

Anyhow, back on topic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

gilly2308 wrote: »
    They have never provided  any kind of decent public transport, so these same people now spend anything from three to  four hours a day in their cars commuting to work.
    Can you not live near a railway station?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Kevwoody wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of whinging in this thread!
    There is no space for a breakdown lane unless mainline traffic was reduced to one lane, which for obvious reasons is not an option.
    Also, people whinging about the progress of the build. Just because you drive through twice a day and cant suddenly see a change, doesnt mean theres no work being done.
    TII have said it will take 2 years, can everyone just shut up and be grateful the upgrade is happening.

I disagree wih your post Kevwoody.
    The contratornshuld not have cordoned off the M7 when they had no intntion on doing any work on it. The removal of the shrubs could have been done a few days before they started work on that asect of the road. That way, there would be less whinging. Not sure what the gain was with them inderting barriers when they had no intentions on starting any work fo some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

regedit wrote: »
    The contratornshuld not have cordoned off the M7 when they had no intntion on doing any work on it. The removal of the shrubs could have been done a few days before they started work on that asect of the road. That way, there would be less whinging. Not sure what the gain was with them inderting barriers when they had no intentions on starting any work fo some time.

Probably not allowed remove trees and shrubs during nesting season.
    Also gives them access along the lenght of the project should they need it for surveying or other works.
    The enginneers and other workers on this project know what they are doing. I'm surprised more roads arent built in this country as there seems to be plenty of experts on here and other social media who can do it better and quicker.

regedit wrote: »

yep, to lay a new motorway lane, its just as simple as removing a few shrubs and throwing down a bit of tarmac :rolleyes:

Maybe drive slowly at a quiet time and see what is being done.

Yes, removal of shrubs and soil is a part of it and a very easy part of it, done by a subcontractor. Anyone with a little experience in using machines can do that.

Then the real work is done.

Drainage - you have to be certain that the road can take heavy rains and drain the water away. (that's being done now)

Then the various sub layers to ensure road is up to international standards and then the final topping and line painting.

On top of that 2 new junctions.

Just accept it will take the time, there will be breakdowns, there will be accidents, but in 18 months there will be three lanes and two new junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

yeah and a lot more traffic with all the new houses in Kildare, Kilcullen and Rathcoole. " years to late, and is only playing caught up.. but its better late than never..

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Bicycles are not allowed on motorways. :)

Anyone leaving Portlaoise at 5am will be well through the works by 5.30 - 5.40 and I've done 5.30 on Mondays to get early flights three times since jan and whilst not totally clear certainly no delays.

I'll try and get more info from someone in Kerry group, who seem to get the best information as they contributed 10m

Sorry it's taken do long to reply but I've been stuck in traffic since😀

You missed my point. People having to leave at 5am to get through this so that they cave at work on time. Often there an hour or so early and then face back into it that evening and repeat exercise. This is hugely frustrating.
    However I also think that even when it's done it's not going to do much. Already packed every morning from naas with the three lanes also. Probably an improvement in the evening though.

Anyway almost all the median is cleared now three months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

There is people leaving the likes of Portlaoise at 5 am every day to get to work on time.
    Where are they working? If it's Dublin, why are they living in Portlaoise?

And yes, I know it's because of the cost and availability of housing in Dublin. My point is that that's really where the problem lies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Some aerial shots of the work required on the Kildare line for the Sallins bypass bridge which necessitates a line closure for next weekend.

Anyway almost all the median is cleared now three months later.

And about 20% of the extensive drainage work done too.

But just like water pipes, this work is not seen, but is extremely important

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

serfboard wrote: »
    Where are they working? If it's Dublin, why are they living in Portlaoise?

And yes, I know it's because of the cost and availability of housing in Dublin. My point is that that's really where the problem lies.

Maybe it's because theres no such thing as a permanent job anymore and people have to work where they can, but can't move home every few months

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Was told current works on M7 will finish by January, otherwise penalties kick in. Don't know if that includes the next stretch up to M9 or not.

In other news, all set for handover of railway line tomorrow night...

446818.jpg

446812.jpg

446814.jpg

446815.jpg

I wonder if the contractors will do a timelapse video of the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Through a contact in KCC was advised recordings are being made by some party involved.

Was told today that Crawler Crane has 350 tonne capacity. There are numerous excavators and trucks on North side of the embankment. The Bridge components and Crane are to the South. Route from canal north towards Clane now visible from canal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

SIAC did one when they demolished a pedestrian bridge over the N25 in 2011

https://youtu.be/50oHbQAG1fc

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

I presume junction 9a is a full junction allowing all normal leaving and joining? Its a bit hard to see but if coming from Millennium I presume you will be directly able to join the M7 northbound? Rather than having to go down to the roundabout near Sallins and going round?

ankles wrote: »
    I presume junction 9a is a full junction allowing all normal leaving and joining? Its a bit hard to see but if coming from Millennium I presume you will be directly able to join the M7 northbound? Rather than having to go down to the roundabout near Sallins and going round?

full junction - This will allow for proper development of Millenium Park / Oberstown areas.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.2344/-6.6816

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Railway line reopened:
    https://twitter.com/IrishRail
    DZmrIJCWAAAXBPa.jpg
    DZxQ0keXcAAUQwd.jpg
    DZxQ0kcW4AEy1tU.jpg
    DZx4D5FXUAEaH6G.jpg
    DZx4D5GXUAA1e4j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Was there was a long term plan to add additional tracks towards Kildare? That bridge suggests not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Was there was a long term plan to add additional tracks towards Kildare? That bridge suggests not.

I don't think that was ever planned. 4-tracking from Heuston to Hazelhatch only.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I don't think that was ever planned. 4-tracking from Heuston to Hazelhatch only.
    Inchicore rather than Heuston. The cutting before Heuston especially around the junction of the old N4 and the South Circular Road would require serious earthworks for 4 tracks.

It was originally envisaged that DART trains would depart the Heuston surface line at Inchicore with no need for 4 tracks east of the tunnel portal. With this now being routed through the PPT and the potential for a DART station west of Heuston this could cause an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Here you go! https://youtu.be/zA_stbW589Y

Brilliant. I didn't think Shannon Images would have one up so quick. The bridge is barely set!

Fair play to all involved. Full steam ahead with the bypass now.

• Advertisement

That's very good. Well done to all concerned

Advertisement