Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Brilliant .
    I live local enough to it nice to see

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pile driver set up this morning near Bill's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

beertons wrote: »

He can't be happy with a new road going right behind his house, can he? They must have received some compensation for that loss of privacy, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Which bridge?

In other news
    • The earthworks on stretch near Clane road intersection, and on roads north of canal, seem well advanced.
    • Railway-bridge crane was still assembled by railway last Sunday.
    • Didn't see any start to ramp construction either side of canal yet. A lot of ramp to build on the North of the canal
    • Ground profiling to the North of M7 suggests to me they will replace existing bridge at Kerry Group with an entirely new structure just to the west.
    • On M7 mainline seems they have most of the clearance done [within the current works area], and centreline drainage pipelaying in progress

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Which bridge?

In other news
    • The earthworks on stretch near Clane road intersection, and on roads north of canal, seem well advanced.
    • Railway-bridge crane was still assembled by railway last Sunday.
    • Didn't see any start to ramp construction either side of canal yet. A lot of ramp to build on the North of the canal
    • Ground profiling to the North of M7 suggests to me they will replace existing bridge at Kerry Group with an entirely new structure just to the west.
    • On M7 mainline seems they have most of the clearance done [within the current works area], and centreline drainage pipelaying in progress

Yes, the bridge by Kerry is going to be demolished and replaced. Surprised it hasn't come down yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes, the bridge by Kerry is going to be demolished and replaced. Surprised it hasn't come down yet

Would it not make sense for them to wait until they are ready for the beam lift for the new bridge? They will have to close the Motorway for that surely so may take the old one down while they do that. Given the modifications to junctions I'd have thought maybe they were going to gear up for a major operation and try to get all the Motorway crossings in place/removed in one closure to minimise disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Would that be a quick few nights thing, hopefully? I couldn't imagine the road being closed for several days. The amount of traffic that would need to exit of at Naas would be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I remembered seeing 2 options for the interchange as per:

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsOffice/M7OsberstownInterchangeR407SallinsBypassScheme2013/EIS-EIA/EISVolume3-Figures/M7 Osberstown EIS Volume 3 Figures 1.1 4.1b.pdf

Is is definitely just one bridge to go in or are they adding a second? 

448523.JPG

448524.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

The second junction design would be ideal with the larger roundabout and two over bridges. But ofcourse they will build the other one to save money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

pad199207 wrote: »
    The second junction design would be ideal with the larger roundabout and two over bridges. But ofcourse they will build the other one to save money

and what is your experience for such a statement - or is it just a whine for the sake of it?

The first design is the same design for most motorway bridges in the country with exception of the exceptionally busy M50 junctions and is more than suitable for current and future traffic flows.

The second design would cost more and would be a complete waste of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

If you disagree with the poster that's fine, but try to be sound in your retort dude. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree just highlight why and don't calling people whiners.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    and what is your experience for such a statement - or is it just a whine for the sake of it?

The first design is the same design for most motorway bridges in the country with exception of the exceptionally busy M50 junctions and is more than suitable for current and future traffic flows.

The second design would cost more and would be a complete waste of taxpayers money.

I can guarantee you that new junction when completed will be extremely busy and will certainly need the extra capacity over the single bridge design.

Its called planning for the future and would not be a waste of taxpayers money. Your obviously part of the build it now fix it later brigade/thinkers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bigger roundabout would be the better option imo, like the huge one in Kilcock over the n4.

Bigger roundabout would be the better option imo, like the huge one in Kilcock over the n4.

Exactly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: can we cut the attacks on posters please. People can express their opinion, and others can disagree, but attacking the poster for holding the opinion is not on. Civil engineering requires civility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

The single bridge would be similar to the bridge further down linking Newhall and Bundle of sticks roundabouts, which do be terribly congested in the morning and evening.
    Even befor the works started.
    I'd imagine this new bridge would be even busier considering it's close proximity to Sallins and Clane.
    So I think a Round about bridge like the Kilcock N4 one would of been a better choice thinking 10 years ahead

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Given the fact that it's a junction connecting a 3 lane motorway to a dual carriageway and busy business park it would be prudent to build it as a grade separated roundabout with 2 bridges

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Does anyone have a definite completion date for the project?

Will they be opening in Stages, or waiting until everything is done?

Obviously good progress being made on the Sallins bypass and junction 9a, but do we have to wait until the Junction 10 realignment and the full 3 lane extension to the M9 before it all opens up?

James lawless has good maps of the new interchange.
    You can download high def pdf too
    http://jameslawless.ie/sallins-bypass-maps/

It's very well designed and will be more than capable of meeting all traffic demands well into the future.

Traffic coming off m7 eastbound and heading to Sallins / clane use a slip road, similarly those joining m7 east from Sallins/clane will use a slip road and similar on opposite side.

Absolutely no comparison to current jct 10 which is appalling and very poorly designed and which is being redesigned and moved a little south.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Ceeling fly do you work for the company building the project or the council ?

sea12 wrote: »
    Ceeling fly do you work for the company building the project or the council ?

Eh?

No, I've sat in traffic 5 days a week for past 14 years trying to get off m7 into Naas and then back and have waited for this for years.

A neighbour is a civil engineer and we've discussed this and he has good knowledge of it and especially thinks the newly located jct 10 is very well designed. He agrees it will make feck all difference to those travelling to Dublin, but huge difference to local traffic with delays getting on/off consigned to memory

If that dumbbell style interchange is to go ahead the roundabouts on either side will have to be at least the size of the bundle of sticks roundabout.

Not the size of the one at the business park where KFM is. Way too small.

If the roundabouts are of a reasonable size and the overbridge is dualled well then there might be a reasonable chance that the junction will be able to cope with the large amount of traffic expected.

Still the rotary style interchange is the best way to go ( like the one on M4 at Kilcock). If they can build it there well then they are well able to build it at Naas.

Reported they are to spend up to €64,000 on a new roadside art project for the new Bypass. Now that is a waste of tax payers money, not a better designed junction with extra capacity for the future growth.

This project will yield one major benefit to Naas: inbound delays in peak morning traffic will move to the area around Rathcoole instead of blocking up the Naas + Newbridge bypasses. For people commuting in the Naas area without going to Dublin it will be hugely beneficial. It was always foolish having a 3 lane dual carriageway connecting to a 2 lane motorway before shortly diverging into 2x 2 lane motorways

The only way inbound traffic can be sped up is by removing traffic inbound. Which means DARTs into the city centre, Metro to move people around and enhanced access to these services. Widening is not the solution here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

This project will yield one major benefit to Naas: inbound delays in peak morning traffic will move to the area around Rathcoole instead of blocking up the Naas + Newbridge bypasses. For people commuting in the Naas area without going to Dublin it will be hugely beneficial.

Yep, I travel Carlow to Naas so I'm really looking forward to that being future proofed.
    They do seem to be working on the North Section widening first, perhaps this will open before the J10 to the M7/M9 merge which they haven't turned a sod on the median yet.

A few mornings, when it's been at a standstill, I've tried J10>Bundle of Sticks>Millenium Park or J10>Merlin>Right>Caragh Road, I've found both a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My concern, if you want to call it that, is that they're working what, three months on the J9 to J10 widening, but J10 to J11 isn't started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Reported they are to spend up to €64,000 on a new roadside art project for the new Bypass. Now that is a waste of tax payers money, not a better designed junction with extra capacity for the future growth.

Artwork is a prerequisite 1% of budget for the road. Negligible cost and stops motorists getting tunnel vision on a long boring drive. Remember that some going on that road could be doing Cork-Belfast or worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Art is never a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

My concern, if you want to call it that, is that they're working what, three months on the J9 to J10 widening, but J10 to J11 isn't started yet.

Yea I think they are going to finish existing stretch first and then move the bollards down for the next section.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

spacetweek wrote: »
    Art is never a waste of money.

There are 4 figures/sculptures on the Tullamore to Kilbeggan/M6 bypass that are class.

Sadly there's also those miserable dilapidated Bridget crosses on the N7 around Kildare that look like scrap that fell over the hill.

Need to be maintained but obviously NRA don't see as a priority.

Advertisement