Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dunno if it's road related, but there's some bang around Osberstown, at the waste treatment plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I'll guess that with the area beside where the new osberstown bridge is going is now fully clear of everything and swept, that the precast components of the bridge are about to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Do people think the third lane on the motorways will actually work on increasing the traffic flow by a significant factor.
    When there is heavy traffic on the M7, from the M9 and M7 split going southwards, will traffic flow actually improve massively??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Deedsie wrote: »
    Temporarily it will certainly improve things. However, unless we change our transport policy drastically from being focused on motor car dependency, the road will become congested again and the road network will always be susceptible to collisions and delays due to driver error.

Unfortunately there's no hope of our transport policy changing anytime soon so we've to make the best of what we got.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

CeilingFly wrote: »
    And your experience of drainage systems and road engineering is????????

I just cannot understand the whining posts of some people - maybe ask for information of the drainage rather that do a whining post especially when you have zero experience in the field. There are plenty of experienced people on these threads, but they tend to respond to reasonable queries than a whine

And you think that they can widen the road and then simply bolt on the two ne junctions later? Seriously?

Whinging posts??? eh I think Im entitled to whinge since Im a Irish citizen and have been driving back and forth to Dublin on this road the last 15 years! They extended the WHOLE of the N7 in half the time. That was 9 junctions long.. There was better planning, overtime & night time work. This is the Countries national road and one of the busiest... It should be giving priority. You dont need experience to see that.

Plus when they started the M50 they future planned it in case of expansion so when they did expand it was done quick..

The road is like Armageddon when the schools are in session. I wonder if our transport minister had to travel this route daily would it be done quicker :rolleyes:

Funny how similar projects all over the world are done in half the time! Its actually embarrassing. Kerry group had to give 10 million or whatever to get the project started in the first place.. but hey lets not moan about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

benny79 wrote: »
    Whinging posts??? eh I think Im entitled to whinge since Im a Irish citizen and have been driving back and forth to Dublin on this road the last 15 years! They extended the WHOLE of the N7 in half the time. That was 9 junctions long.. There was better planning, overtime & night time work. This is the Countries national road and one of the busiest... It should be giving priority. You dont need experience to see that.

Plus when they started the M50 they future planned it in case of expansion so when they did expand it was done quick..

The road is like Armageddon when the schools are in session. I wonder if our transport minister had to travel this route daily would it be done quicker :rolleyes:

Funny how similar projects all over the world are done in half the time! Its actually embarrassing. Kerry group had to give 10 million or whatever to get the project started in the first place.. but hey lets not moan about it...

I actually agree this job should have been given priority. It'll be a mess again come September. You can be sure that Shane Ross isn't travelling this road every day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Any chance you could link to these projects?

Any chance you could link to these projects?

The expansion of the N7 is one done in less than 2 years. The other ones around the world I'll link when I suddenly realise I dont have a life anymore :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The expansion of the N7 is one done in less than 2 years. The other ones around the world I'll link when I suddenly realise I dont have a life anymore :rolleyes:

Ok so, your just making sweeping statements with no proof. Fair enough.

Ok so, your just making sweeping statements with no proof. Fair enough.

Eh the N7 is proof! Try keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Came through last night. They seem really determined about speed. One sign said 237 prosecutions so far.

The traffic was still going at average speeds well above 60km/hr.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KOR101 wrote: »
    Came through last night. They seem really determined about speed. One sign said 237 prosecutions so far.

The traffic was still going at average speeds well above 60km/hr.

If they caught 237 in one day it would be less than 1% of traffic. Chances of getting caught are tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Driving at the 60kph speed limit is dangerous, the amount of cars flying up behind and swerving out into the "fast lane" is unreal. Surprised there hasn't been more crashes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Patww79 wrote:

Patww79 wrote:

If the idiots speeding had to spend a full day working in the middle of a motorway, rather than sitting behind a desk in a nice safe office, they might slow down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

It's nonsense they don't have average speed cameras along that stretch. Few do 60. I get blasted out of it everything I'm on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Patww79 wrote: »

This is the attitude that has Dublin ground to a halt.

tom1ie wrote: »
    This is the attitude that has Dublin ground to a halt.

I don't think that's fair, I think the way public transport is run and managed in this country is the problem. Its unreliable and you quite often end up sitting beside some drunken junkie that shouts abuse and consumes alcohol on the way. Its not a pleasant experience and saying it to the bus or luas operators gets you nowhere.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Driving at the 60km/h limit isn't what's dangerous, it's the ones doing more than the limit that are. Especially the ones doing so fast they can't see you in front of them.

People need to remember that everyone getting home in the evening in one piece is job number 1.

Agreed, sorry reading back my post thats not what I meant, its dangerous because of those en masse that break the limit, making it scary fro those that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Kamili wrote: »
    Driving at the 60kph speed limit is dangerous, the amount of cars flying up behind and swerving out into the "fast lane" is unreal. Surprised there hasn't been more crashes there.

Isn't the fact that there have been no serious crashes proof that doing 60kpkh isn't dangerous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

markpb wrote: »
    Isn't the fact that there have been no serious crashes proof that doing 60kpkh isn't dangerous?

Yeah , let’s wait for someone to die before we act sensibly ..

markpb wrote: »

read my previous post, I phrased that wrong - its the majority of people on that section that are speeding, that make it dangerous for those that stick to the 60kph limit.

I've had so many near and very near misses keeping to the 60kph from people travelling at much higher speeds coming up behind me (even though I am in the leftmost lane) and swerving/braking last minute to avoid me, and then getting aggressive behind me for having the nerve to stick to the speed limit.

There have been a multitude of bad crashes already on that stretch which is why I am surprised there haven't been more, and more serious ones.

Having a low speed limit when it is not necessary causes frustration and often leads to drivers ignoring it, it is better to vary the speed to match the risk as and when the works progress.
    https://transport-network.co.uk/Highways-England-to-trial-variable-speed-limits-on-motorway-roadworks/15173

Highways England is to test whether speed limits through motorway roadworks can be increased to up to 60mph at weekends or different speeds used in different directions through the same works.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

60 km/h is far too low for the level of work during the day. 80 is far more suited and wouldn't be ignored as readily. If you have stupidly nonsensical limits (low or high!) people will become desensitised and drive to their own idea of appropriate which is worse.

However, when they reduce it to one lane as I've seen at night after 10/11pm then 60 is more than enough.

Having a low speed limit when it is not necessary causes frustration and often leads to drivers ignoring it, it is better to vary the speed to match the risk as and when the works progress.

Th UK limit is currently 50mph - so if they used UK best practice the limit would be 80kmh to match UK.

And as you say, they are looking at increasing certain limits to 60mph on specific stretches where the higher spec barriers are in operation (the same barriers they are using on the M7)

Even the gardai think 80kmh would be a better limit and all those caught speeding to date have been doing over 100 kmh because gardai are human and use common sense.

On the works - final layers in the current section are starting to be laid - this is obviously the quickest work as its simply throwing down stone and rolling it out before the tarmac layers are put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Does any one believe that there has been over 200 convictions on this road. I travel it ten times a week and have never been caught. I would go at a speed that is appropriate for the conditions and yes that would most of the time be over the 60. My brother also drives it and neither has has a fine or anyone else I know that would do the same commute.

garbeth wrote: »
    Does any one believe that there has been over 200 convictions on this road. I travel it ten times a week and have never been caught. I would go at a speed that is appropriate for the conditions and yes that would most of the time be over the 60. My brother also drives it and neither has has a fine or anyone else I know that would do the same commute.

There are approximately 30,000 "movements" a day on that section.

The works started 200 days ago.

That's circa 6 MILLION movements

230ish out of 6 Million

Put it another way, how many people do you know that got 5 numbers in the lottery in the last 2 months - same odds.

Keep reasonable speed for the conditions pertaining at the time you are driving and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lane closures tonight. Anyone been through?

Advertisement