Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Yep, the project manager was on rte radio.

Completion of three lanes both ways end March 2019

Move to new part of road in stages. October 2018 and Dec 2018 - this to allow current lanes to be resurfaced.

So seems a lot better than envisaged.

He also said there have been no delays.

Does this mean there will be a phased opening of the new 3 lane segments?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

NedNew2 wrote: »
    The contractor is aiming to have the mainline works completed by March 2019.

http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Very heavy traffic and delays over the weekend due to the extended 60 km/h zone.

That’s fantastic news

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yep, the project manager was on rte radio.

Completion of three lanes both ways end March 2019

Move to new part of road in stages. October 2018 and Dec 2018 - this to allow current lanes to be resurfaced.

So seems a lot better than envisaged.

He also said there have been no delays.
    When was the project manager on the radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

marno21 wrote: »
    When was the project manager on the radio?

just before 6pm yesterday evening - Rte Radio 1 drivetime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

I cant see it being finished by then! but here's hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

It just depends on what you describe as being finished. You could have all lanes open but work for months afterwords taking place on verges and sideroads

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roadmaster wrote: »
    It just depends on what you describe as being finished. You could have all lanes open but work for months afterwords taking place on verges and sideroads

And the work will still be continuing in the two junctions and the Sallins bypass

roadmaster wrote: »

That be fine by me! but he said the 3 lanes be finished by March next year. Considering they haven't finished them from J9 to J10 and are only starting J10 to J11 I cant see it been finished by then. But I really hope Im wrong! To me the widening of the 3 lanes are a priority!

benny79 wrote: »
    That be fine by me! but he said the 3 lanes be finished by March next year. Considering they haven't finished them from J9 to J10 and are only starting J10 to J11 I cant see it been finished by then. But I really hope Im wrong! To me the widening of the 3 lanes are a priority!

So the project manager give a verbal update on public radio giving full details and timeline and you don't believe it????

Why would a very experienced project manager go on national radio and tell a lie?

The works from jct 10 - 9 are almost finished. Putting a couple of top layers of tarmac is the quickest part of the work.

That was a 9km section. Work started in late Jan / early February. Its near finished now, 6 months later.

The remaining section is half that size and work starts in 2 weeks.

Even the lay person can easily see that the road will open by next March (8 months away) looking at current progress.

But some people will always search for a negative in everything. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I still don't see it making THAT much of a difference TBH. I'll just mean a quicker trip to the new bottleneck at the Carlow exit on one end and the M50 on the other.

The biggest issue on the N7/M50 is not the number of lanes (they already have 3) but the piss-poor driving ability of many drivers.. lane-hogging, tailgating, jumping between lanes without warning, last minute dives for exits (often standing on the brakes as they do so), undertaking to get a car length ahead, dawdling at 15-20 km/h below the limit for no reason etc etc

None of that will change when the new lanes open.. and I say that as someone who uses that road daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

marno21 wrote:
    And the work will still be continuing in the two junctions and the Sallins bypass

Oh... I thought it was all one project? Is the 3 lane upgrade separate to the bypass and new junctions? I took him to mean that everything would be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭tubbs26

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Oh... I thought it was all one project? Is the 3 lane upgrade separate to the bypass and new junctions? I took him to mean that everything would be open.

Any indications when they hope to open the Sallins junctions and by pass?

Also when the Newbridge junction will be completed?

So the project manager give a verbal update on public radio giving full details and timeline and you don't believe it????

Why would a very experienced project manager go on national radio and tell a lie?

The works from jct 10 - 9 are almost finished. Putting a couple of top layers of tarmac is the quickest part of the work.

That was a 9km section. Work started in late Jan / early February. Its near finished now, 6 months later.

The remaining section is half that size and work starts in 2 weeks.

Even the lay person can easily see that the road will open by next March (8 months away) looking at current progress.

But some people will always search for a negative in everything. :mad:

Do Politicians not go on radio & TV and lie all the time?? The so called leaders of our Country! So your trying to tell me a project manager cant get it wrong?

Just a couple of layers of tarmac you say? Well I suggest you take a look the next time your passing as I drive that road twice a day and have done so the last 15 years and its far from a couple of layers of tarmac. There is still pipe to be laid unless these are leftover, there's still big pits or holes, steel is still sticking up, which I say is for support for something so concrete will have to be poured over them and there's roughly a 2 ft drop from the level of the road for most the stretch of the works.

Now maybe you have more experience than me, which is fair enough. Hence why I said I hope I'm wrong... As I'm just giving my opinion as a lay man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Do Politicians not go on radio & TV and lie all the time?? The so called leaders of our Country! So your trying to tell me a project manager cant get it wrong?

Just a couple of layers of tarmac you say? Well I suggest you take a look the next time your passing as I drive that road twice a day and have done so the last 15 years and its far from a couple of layers of tarmac. There is still pipe to be laid unless these are leftover, there's still big pits or holes, steel is still sticking up, which I say is for support for something so concrete will have to be poured over them and there's roughly a 2 ft drop from the level of the road for most the stretch of the works.

Now maybe you have more experience than me, which is fair enough. Hence why I said I hope I'm wrong... As I'm just giving my opinion as a lay man ;)

unfortunately its not just a couple of layers of tarmac as you question.
    The next stages once all cabling and pipework is complete, will be laying hardcore to raise the level of the base, to then be able to lay 3 to 4 layers of tarmac.
    Then the next stage will be to move a lane of traffic onto the new layer. Or possibly what they may do is move the two eastbound lanes onto the two new lanes created, then scrape away the hard shoulder and the lane 1 from the eastbound carriageway. Relay the tarmac 3 or 4 layers to bring it up to the new layer of the new lanes, then move the eastbound back onto the new hard shoulder and lane 1. Then move the westbound hard shoulder and lane 1 onto the new two middle lanes, scrape the tarmac for the old lanes, lay new tarmac to the new level. Then move the lanes back to the hard shoulder and lane 1. Once all the above is done they will lay the central median barrier. Line the road.Then open the new lanes.
    bish bash bosh.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    the next stages once all cabline and pipework is complete will be laying hardcore to raise the level of the base to then be able to lay 3 to 4 layers of tarmac. Then the next stage will be to move a lane of traffic onto the new layer. or possibly what they may do is move the two eastbound lanes onto the new two lanes created then scrape away the hard shoulder and the lane 1 from the eastbound carriageway. relay the tarmac 3 or four layers to being it up to the new layer of the new lanes. then move the eastbound back onto the new hard shoulder and lane1. then move the westbound hard shoulder and lane 1 onto the new two middle lanes, scrape the tarmac for the old lanes, lay new tarmac to the new level. then, move the lanes back to the hardshoulder and lane 1. Once all the above is done then they will lay the central median barrier. line the road. then open the new lanes.
    bish bash bosh.

Im not the one that said it was just a couple of layers of tarmac left to be done!

But like you say there's a lot more left. Plus they have to do all this again from the start between J10 & J11. Do you reckon they would have all this done & dusted by March? I really hope so but cant see it..

rameire wrote: »
    the next stages once all cabline and pipework is complete will be laying hardcore to raise the level of the base to then be able to lay 3 to 4 layers of tarmac. .

I was saying its just a couple of layers of tarmac for the current section to be finished - yes there's a little more to it, but in comparison to the work that has been completed its now down to the dressing part and that's relatively easy.

And if the project manager say just two days ago that it is on schedule for March 2019 completion of the mainline works, then certain posters have to accept that.

These are major international contractors. they don't give false promises just to appease people, they give real information.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice to hear the 3 lanes will be open in March, they're badly needed.

Was like the wild West yesterday evening, cars cutting into lanes, lads jamming on the brakes other cars tearing down the hard shoulder. I saw a car flying down the hard shoulder, a squad car pulled out to take chase but unfortunately he didn't indicate or look and ploughed straight into the car that was coming behind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

marno21 wrote: »
    60km/h speed limit to be extended to J11 M9 from 6am Saturday as per AA Roadwatch

The layout on parts of the extended section is quite poor even at 60kph. They go in and out at the junctions. A lot of the existing white lanes partially remain which makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

One thing I find appalling is the way trucks are speeding through the works at full speed often in the right lane which is narrower. These so called professional drivers don't seem to care much about anyone around them. Is it really such a crap job that they are under such pressure to save 4 or 5 mins by doing that. Where I used give way and respect these guys I'm losing that respect by the day.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Nice to hear the 3 lanes will be open in March, they're badly needed.

Was like the wild West yesterday evening, cars cutting into lanes, lads jamming on the brakes other cars tearing down the hard shoulder. I saw a car flying down the hard shoulder, a squad car pulled out to take chase but unfortunately he didn't indicate or look and ploughed straight into the car that was coming behind.

Jesus was that what the crash was? I heard it on the news there was long delays so went the back roads. So did everyone else by the looks of things.. took me 2 hrs 15 mins to get home! :mad:

• Advertisement

I was saying its just a couple of layers of tarmac for the current section to be finished - yes there's a little more to it, but in comparison to the work that has been completed its now down to the dressing part and that's relatively easy.

And if the project manager say just two days ago that it is on schedule for March 2019 completion of the mainline works, then certain posters have to accept that.

These are major international contractors. they don't give false promises just to appease people, they give real information.

Was there not false promises giving about the port tunnel?? just saying.. Over time and over budget..

To be honest I don't really care I just hope its finished as soon as possible as commuting is a nightmare! I driving 20 years and never had a crash until this year! My fault though. I went the back roads because of a crash and knew the traffic be mental and was half asleep.. You really have to be on the ball driving them back roads..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Was there not false promises giving about the port tunnel?? just saying.. Over time and over budget..

To be honest I don't really care I just hope its finished as soon as possible as commuting is a nightmare! I driving 20 years and never had a crash until this year! My fault though. I went the back roads because of a crash and knew the traffic be mental and was half asleep.. You really have to be on the ball driving them back roads..

Well done picking the one of the most complicated infrastructure projects ever undertaken in the history of the state, which opened 12 years ago, as an example. Almost every road infrastructure project in Ireland over that last 15 years has been on time (with many well ahead of time) and on budget.

Well done picking the one of the most complicated infrastructure projects ever undertaken in the history of the state, which opened 12 years ago, as an example. Almost every road infrastructure project in Ireland over that last 15 years has been on time (with many well ahead of time) and on budget.

Well lets hope this one is too then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

quite a lot of human and machinery activity now between Naas and Newbridge but not sure what the builders have done as the traffic has become much heavier. Yesterday (Friday), as early as 13:30, the traffic was at a standstill from before Kill and then very heavy all the was to the Newbridge exit! Schools out and people on holidays! It may get much worse come September...
    Shame SIAC/Colas wont come here or on twitter to update people on the progress and next steps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

regedit wrote: »
    quite a lot of human and machinery activity now between Naas and Newbridge but not sure what the builders have done as the traffic has become much heavier. Yesterday (Friday), as early as 13:30, the traffic was at a standstill from before Kill and then very heavy all the was to the Newbridge exit! Schools out and people on holidays! It may get much worse come September...
    Shame SIAC/Colas wont come here or on twitter to update people on the progress and next steps

I would imagine that you answered your own question. As there is more activity there will be more rubber neckers hence the hold ups.
    That and it was also a bank holiday Friday.

regedit wrote: »

Its a bank holiday weekend, traditional factories and building site workers commenced their holidays.

You could have 5 lanes and there'd still be tailbacks - though nothing near the 40 miles of congestion on the M5 in the UK two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I deliberately left it til 7:30pm last night to leave Dublin for Kerry because I knew any earlier would be mayhem and sailed through this section no problem. My first time on the road in months so the new overpass near Kerry Group and other progress was impressive to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Google maps was showing 27 minutes delay on it around midday with no incidents. Used the N81.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Google maps was showing 27 minutes delay on it around midday with no incidents. Used the N81.

There was a breakdown just after jct 10 about that time. I passed as the car was moving off and guy in the VII breakdown van was tidying up his tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Eight months to complete an online widening? Thats pie in the sky. Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if they managed it, but when has an online widening ever been done that quickly anywhere. (We won't count China etc)

Advertisement