Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Eight months to complete an online widening? Thats pie in the sky. Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if they managed it, but when has an online widening ever been done that quickly anywhere. (We won't count China etc)

Well they started the works 8 months ago so I'd imagine they'd have alot of the ground work done for that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

True yes, but they have nothing done from J10 - J11, at all. I just can't see how they'll do that bit that quickly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

True yes, but they have nothing done from J10 - J11, at all. I just can't see how they'll do that bit that quickly.
    Well it is shorter which is one positive.

It'll also be a handier tie in at J11 as it'll simply be a lane drop rather than the realignment required at J9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Its less than half the length of 9-10, doesn't require two new junctions and less pipework is involved. (the utility trunk was laid last year)

Also the jct 9-10 work has taken 6 months. It started 3rd week jan and there was a week of snow delay.

So almost 8 months to do half the distance won't be an issue.

But what is it with these negative ninnies? Its like a throwback to the eighties when local councils did the work and unions did everything to delay / extend works because that's what public sector unions do.
    These days its international conglomerates and they almost always finish ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Its less than half the length of 9-10, doesn't require two new junctions and less pipework is involved. (the utility trunk was laid last year)

Also the jct 9-10 work has taken 6 months. It started 3rd week jan and there was a week of snow delay.

So almost 8 months to do half the distance won't be an issue.

But what is it with these negative ninnies? Its like a throwback to the eighties when local councils did the work and unions did everything to delay / extend works because that's what public sector unions do.
    These days its international conglomerates and they almost always finish ahead of time.

Eh. Was it not you saying it can't be done??

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Not build related, but Go Safe vans will be deployed from Monday to slow the traffic down even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

beertons wrote: »
    Not build related, but Go Safe vans will be deployed from Monday to slow the traffic down even more.

While i do agree with speed enforcement. This will cause nearly everybody jamming on the brakes, wouldn't be surprised if this cause rear end accidents. Even if they are doing 60 they will still brake

Why can't they install average speed cameras. If I recall some time a few years back these were along the M7 or M9 running accross yellow poles with signs warning of these... (doubt the were switched on)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

sonyvision wrote: »
    While i do agree with speed enforcement. This will cause nearly everybody jamming in the breakings wouldn't be surprised if this cause rear end accidents. Even if they are doing 60 they will break I bet

Why can't they install average speed cameras. If i recall some time a few years back these were along the M7 or M9 running accross yellow poles with signs warning of these... (doubt where switched on)

Probably needs some form of legislation to be brought in or enacted upon, so that average speed cams can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Be more in there mind throwing more man power at it there already 9 months behind atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Be more in there mind throwing more man power at it there already 9 months behind atm.

How are they 9 months behind??

The project manager gave a radio interview saying they'd be finished on time next year.

• Advertisement

Why do people make up such nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Kevwoody wrote: »
    How are they 9 months behind??

The project manager gave a radio interview saying they'd be finished on time next year.
    the bridges. Tarring is starting next week on the main line at nites.
    Why do people make up such nonsense?
    There is no nonense made up here from me I was inducted into the site in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

There is no nonense made up here from me I was inducted into the site in the last while.

In that case could you provide your source for them being 9 months behind schedule? And the reason why there is such a delay, given that they have had excellent weather barring one week of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Heard from a good source that it is actually 3 years behind schedule.

So the project manager is wrong with his statement made just 2 weeks ago??.

"Mainline 3 lane carriageway will be open in March of next year."

"Project will be completed by end of next year."

Whilst no specifics were given, it would suggest that the sallins bypass and the two new junctions will be the parts completed by end of 2019.

At the beginning of the project it was to be completed by early 2020, so for it now to be completed by end of 2019 would suggest they are ahead of time.

Furthermore, the penalties for going past the agreed timeframe are severe in almost all such contracts and a nine month delay is unheard of especially when the project manager gave a very positive update just 2 weeks ago.

So someone is feeding you rubbish or you're just making it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Cazale wrote: »
    Heard from a good source that it is actually 3 years behind schedule.

I mean as with all projects in Ireland its about 30 years behind schedule but thats not the fault of the Contractor!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

In that case could you provide your source for them being 9 months behind schedule? And the reason why there is such a delay, given that they have had excellent weather barring one week of snow?

He drives a truck delivering stone to the site, I doubt he's able to provide a reliable source, either he's winding us up or someone is winding him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Apologies in advance for derailing thread.

Haven't been on this road since works began. Is the traffic moving fairly well, albeit slowly, in the mornings? Bringing daughter from Wexford to Maynooth Uni for an interview at 10.15am tomorrow and wondering how much longer the section from the M7/9 interchange to Kill turnoff for Maynooth will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

MichealD wrote: »

Haven't been on this road since works began. Is the traffic moving fairly well, albeit slowly, in the mornings? Bringing daughter from Wexford to Maynooth Uni for an interview at 10.15am tomorrow and wondering how much longer the section from the M7/9 interchange to Kill turnoff for Maynooth will take.
    Google maps.....Directions

• Advertisement

Wexford to Maynooth probably best to use M11, M50 & M4, can't see why you'd go M7 unless you are closer to the M9 such as Bunclody - if so, with schools not back and many on holidays its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    i.e. GoSafe are going to do what we don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Wexford to Maynooth probably best to use M11, M50 & M4, can't see why you'd go M7 unless you are closer to the M9 such as Bunclody - if so, with schools not back and many on holidays its not too bad.

Cheers. Enniscorthy, so choice of N80 or N11 to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cheers. Enniscorthy, so choice of N80 or N11 to begin with.

Yeah from Enniscorthy the N80/M9 would be your best bet. Also there’s actually a back road from Sallins to Straffan that would be quicker instead of going up to the Kill Junction. You would have to get off at Naas South.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

From KildareNow.com

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/obey-60km-speed-limits-m7-works-zone-council-urges-drivers/244504

M7 NAAS NEWBRIDGE BYPASS & INTERCHANGES

Key Facts...

Widening 13.5km of Motorway from 2 lanes to 3 lanes in both directions
    Upgrading Junction 10 - Newhall Interchange
    Concrete Barrier - 26 km
    Fencing – 12,000 metres
    Drainage – 40,000 metres
    Ducting – 65,000 metres
    Over 1,000,000 truck movements during the course of the works
    UPDATE ON WORKS: - Works on the first phase between Junctions 8 (Johnstown) and Junction 10 (Naas South) are on track to finish by Spring 2019 with the majority of the piped drainage in this phase installed.

Currently, 11 Gantries with concrete foundations are under construction including capping/ pavement sub-formation operations and the installation of concrete drainage channels.

The contractor began works on Phase 2 including putting in place the extension of the traffic management between Junctions 10 (Naas South) and Junction 11 (M7/M9 merge).

At present, Phase 2 will advance the contractual commitment for completion of mainline works by spring 2019.

M7 OSBERSTOWN INTERCHANGE

Key Facts…Construction of new grade separated interchange at Osberstown (new Junction 9A) will provide access from the M7 to the Sallins Bypass and Naas Ring Road with the existing Osberstown over-bridge being demolished as part of the works.

UPDATE ON WORKS: - Construction of the northwest, southwest and southeast embankments are progressing well with the northeast embankment close to completion. Construction of the central pier is at an advanced stage.

SALLINS BYPASS

Key Facts…

2.0km of new dual carriageway and 3.6km of new single carriageway
    6 New bridges including:
    two crossings over the River Liffey
    one crossing over the Grand Canal
    one crossing under the Cork Dublin railway line
    UPDATE ON WORKS: - The construction of a new bridge under the Dublin - Cork/Limerick railway line was installed over the 2018 Easter bank holiday weekend and work continues on the required drainage and earthworks.

The works on structured piling is progressing on other structures and a temporary crossing (Bailey bridge) is installed on first crossing over River Liffey.

Key Dates: - The Osberstown Interchange and Sallins Bypass schedule for completion by end of 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

They are progressing very well with clearing hedge and removing subsoil. They have 3 diggers clearing subsoil and a line of trucks to clear it. Some contrast to the approach last Jan in phase 1. Allot of phase 1 has now being dig out and refilled with hardcore stone. Central concrete drainage is done for about a third of it. Good to see physical progress taking shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Are they putting the horrible bulky gantries you see on the M50 on this?

We should go for the slender US style.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Are they putting the horrible bulky gantries you see on the M50 on this?

We should go for the slender US style.

They will be going with whatever gantries are compliant with current Irish gantry policy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Local rag covered this with photos of the Welsh GoSafe vehicles which, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with the private camera crowd here.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Local rag covered this with photos of the Welsh GoSafe vehicles which, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with the private camera crowd here.
    Most people don't understand "Go Mall" let alone "mynd yn araf" :pac:

Advertisement