Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

givyjoe wrote: »
    Where are they gonna put them though? Most of the stretch of roadworks doesn't leave any space unless they plonk the vans in the field or the middle of the road works.

That’s true maybe only two possible spots to park a speed van safely , have any regular users spotted the speed vans?
    I seen a traffic core jeep about two weeks ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

givyjoe wrote: »
    Where are they gonna put them though? Most of the stretch of roadworks doesn't leave any space unless they plonk the vans in the field or the middle of the road works.

Could they not put them inside the barriers of the road works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

toe_knee wrote: »
    Could they not put them inside the barriers of the road works?

And read number plates through concrete?

And read number plates through concrete?

The barriers aren't even window level of a car. The back of the van would be high enough to read over the barriers at oncoming traffic. As far as I know they read cars plates at a certain distance and not directly beside them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

harr wrote:
    So was on M7 this morning driving my young lad to match in Naas obviously no work being done on a Saturday yet traffic was still backed up considerably and was particularly at a standstill at times. Madness for early Saturday morning traffic. No sign of speed vans

Electric picnic is on.

• Advertisement

toe_knee wrote: »
    The barriers aren't even window level of a car. The back of the van would be high enough to read over the barriers at oncoming traffic. As far as I know they read cars plates at a certain distance and not directly beside them

They read the speed in one direction, if they cannot identify the car oncoming they'll not be able to guess a number plate a hundred yards past them.

They read the speed in one direction, if they cannot identify the car oncoming they'll not be able to guess a number plate a hundred yards past them.

I don't get you. If the back of the van is facing oncoming traffic it can read the plate over the barrier. Justake sure they are on a straight part of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Was speaking to s senior person on this project via work. Started discussing the project as mentioned I travelled through it every day. He said they are a couple of months behind schedule and have sub contracted phase 2 out to another contractor. Think he mentioned capa white. Not sure if he meant just subcontracting the soil removal or the full amount. But next spring is still achievable. Someone else came over and the discussion went else where.

I did notice over the past week that on phase 2 section that the diggers were working past 7 pm which u never saw on phase 1.

And before Ceeling fly calls this bar stool talk. It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

sea12 wrote: »
    Was speaking to s senior person on this project via work. Started discussing the project as mentioned I travelled through it every day. He said they are a couple of months behind schedule and have sub contracted phase 2 out to another contractor. Think he mentioned capa white. Not sure if he meant just subcontracting the soil removal or the full amount. But next spring is still achievable. Someone else came over and the discussion went else where.

I did notice over the past week that on phase 2 section that the diggers were working past 7 pm which u never saw on phase 1.

And before Ceeling fly calls this bar stool talk. It's not.
    I will call this bill :)

Why?

Because the soil and shrubbery clearance was contracted out from day one on the entire line and on the first phase they did work late and did work weekends but only on sections where no dwelling was within 200 meters.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I will call this bill :)

Why?

Because the soil and shrubbery clearance was contracted out from day one on the entire line and on the first phase they did work late and did work weekends but only on sections where no dwelling was within 200 meters.

I can only tell what he said. He volunteered the information. I'm not interpertating what he said but rather what he actually said. I'm sure more will come out in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

I can only tell what he said. He volunteered the information. I'm not interpertating what he said but rather what he actually said. I'm sure more will come out in the coming weeks.

But all these stories come with no name and no facts and so far not one of the scare stories has been true.

Here's facts - three companies are subcontracted for earthworks clearance - Behans in rathcoole are one, another is based around ballymore Eustace and the third I think is killmeage area. I can get the names in the morning if you wish.

Siac colas have worked on and delivered several major projects in UK and here and have always delivered on time and it is quite normal to subcontract out much of the less onerous machinery work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Patww79 wrote: »
    People will mostly do 20-30 over the limit so you'll just have them going 110 instead of 90 if its raised. Most Irish people just want to speed and the "shur it's a stupid limit anyway" is the lamest excuse of all time.
    BS. Most people will drive at a safe speed. There are many town centres with 50kph limits and most people don't go near that in them. The only places most motorists "speed" is places like wide and straight roads often with no hazards and excellent visibility, not in an urban centre or residential area, and that have a stupidly low limit like 50kph or 60kph.

Yes there will be morons who drive stupidly, no issue with penalties meted out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Been planning to get out to take more pics but here are just a couple from Kerry Group showing what looks to be a wildlife tunnel or pedestrian tunnel (as its so narrow) that will run across the link road as it heads up over the motorway from the Naas side.
    You'll also see the center pillar in place for the new deck in the background and the ramps are really taking shape for the new junction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=460974

attachment.php?attachmentid=460975

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was looking at that today, wondering what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

From Kildare County council:

M7 Commencement of New Motorway Carriageway Pavement: From Monday 10 September 2018, night time works have commenced on the new motorway carriageway pavement within the central median area of the M7 Upgrade project.

These works are within site behind the temporary barriers currently in place and will not affect the traffic lanes on the existing carriageways.

The works will be carried out between 8pm to 6am each night (Monday to Friday) and will be ongoing.

These works have initially started between Junction 9 and Junction 10.

M7 Overnight Temporary Lane Closures

Westbound and Eastbound

Please be advised that, due to overnight works which commenced, Monday 10 September 2018 and will continue until Saturday 15 September, 2018 on the M7 Westbound between Junctions 9 to 11 (M9) between the hours of 22.00 to 06.00

and

the M7 Eastbound between Junctions 11 (M9) to Junction 9 between the hours of 21.00 to 06.00 there will be mobile lane closures to facilitate maintenance works associated with the M7 Upgrade project.

During these times one lane will be available in both directions.

Any inconvenience caused to the public is regretted.

So now they are doing road works at night which shows
    1 that night time road works can and should be done on this project and discounts the theory put forward by some posters on why it shouldn't be done. Madness not having 2 shifts during summer with extended daylight and good weather
    2 backs up claim that they are behind schedule and needs to be done at night to get back on track

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

1 that night time road works can and should be done on this project and discounts the theory put forward by some posters on why it shouldn't be done. Madness not having 2 shifts during summer with extended daylight and good weather
    2 backs up claim that they are behind schedule and needs to be done at night to get back on track

The night work is to allow closing the main carriageways to single lane - not possible during the day.

Negative ninnies seem to be just praying for a cock-up. Praying that it will be delayed, Hoping for some thread of evidence so that they can say "I was right". Night time works were ALWAYS part of the project, but for specific parts only that require closure of an additional lane. Such information has been given to residents along the route months ago

1. During these times there will be little daytime works on that section as its still one team, one set of project managers for each specific path of the project. On that section its now with the tarmac team - the drainage team are now on the new section of works having competed their work.

2. Utter BULLSH1T that it suggests any delay. The project is actually ahead of schedule. The consortium are one of the most established and experienced consortiums out there - they don't deliver projects late. To suggest that planned night-time works give credibility to some uninformed gossip is ludicrous.

I'll go by the timeline given to residents who live near to the works - its currently ahead of what was given last November that estimated the construction would take 28-32 months. Hedgerow and site clearance of phase two (M9 to Jct 10) to commence 3rd Sept (it commenced 3 weeks early and is now completed) and I'll also take the project manager's update given in an interview on RTE just 4 weeks ago.

That's REAL information.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Negative ninnies seem to be just praying for a cock-up. Praying that it will be delayed, Hoping for some thread of evidence so that they can say "I was right". Night time works were ALWAYS part of the project, but for specific parts only that require closure of an additional lane. Such information has been given to residents along the route months ago

1. During these times there will be little daytime works on that section as its still one team, one set of project managers for each specific path of the project. On that section its now with the tarmac team - the drainage team are now on the new section of works having competed their work.

2. Utter BULLSH1T that it suggests any delay. The project is actually ahead of schedule. The consortium are one of the most established and experienced consortiums out there - they don't deliver projects late. To suggest that planned night-time works give credibility to some uninformed gossip is ludicrous.

I'll go by the timeline given to residents who live near to the works - its currently ahead of what was given last November that estimated the construction would take 28-32 months. Hedgerow and site clearance of phase two (M9 to Jct 10) to commence 3rd Sept (it commenced 3 weeks early and is now completed) and I'll also take the project manager's update given in an interview on RTE just 4 weeks ago.

That's REAL information.

Disagree , this proves perfectly well that you can have day time work and night time work running concurrently which is what you were saying a few weeks couldn't be done. Secondly it's not the same project managers running both they are two separate teams.
    28-32 months is for the full entire project. The widening if m7 to 3 lanes was always a time period of 12-18 months.

The reason phase 2 started 3 weeks early is because it is a seperste team doing this phase.

You have your views but stop trying to ram it down others throats if they disagree with your view point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Please discuss the topic, not the posters.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see the comments if the tarmac laying team were putting tarmac down before drainage and sub layering was completed.

Yes I have my views and it's based on reading the tender documents, the environmental impact study, having a family member living within the general area of the works and also listening to the updates provided by Siac Colas project management.

What are the views of the naysayers based upon?

]I'd love to see the comments if the tarmac laying team were putting tarmac down before drainage and sub layering was completed.

Well that just even deserve a reply it's complete nonsense

Yes I have my views and it's based on reading the tender documents, the environmental impact study, having a family member living within the general area of the works

So you read all the documents which to be fair more than most do so you do have a good understanding of the plan. However a plan is only with the best of intentions right on the day it's completed. It doesn't take into account difficulties and changes when they actually start building.

and also listening to the updates provided by Siac Colas project management.

Well they are hardly going to come on national airwaves and say they are running well behind and had to get in extra company. They said they will complete road (3 lanes) by end of spring and they will do. What they haven't said is they had to get in extra company to do phase 2 to achieve this timeline.

Anyone passing phase 2 can clearly see it's a different set of machinery, working different hours than phase 1 was. There is diggers working until 8 pm on phase 2 clearing soil. That wasn't the case on plane 1 and still isn't where you see them locking up at 5.30

What are the views of the naysayers based upon?[/quote]

The naysayers are people who are glad the job is being done but are fed up sitting hours in traffic and who wish they had taken more advantage of the dry summer to work longer hours to get one of the busiest roads in the country completed earlier do they could be in work or at home earlier.

My Views are based on an actual conversation with senior engineer involved in the project. And no I'm hardly going to name the individual on a public forum but don't believe he would have told me what he did unless it was true.

Anyway good to see Tarmac being laid past few evenings. Its getting that bit closer to being finished.

Excuse any spelling mistakes. On I phone

Deedsie wrote: »
    Can you please give it a rest? You are spoiling the thread, no one is interested. The project is on track.

I'm quite entitled to put my views across on the forum especially when someone calls a post I made bull****.

As for spoiling the forum at least there is a bit I'd conversation going on it now. It wasn't exactly rocking beforehand. Don't read my posts if you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Had a good look at it this evening coming in/out from Dublin on a bus. Looks quite advanced really. All site clearance is ready and they appear to be progressing well on the drainage works. I'm no expert but I reckon it can't be too long before they start laying down the new road in parts at least.
    There is a lot of plant, staff and machinery at work throughout the whole length of it.
    Reckon it will be great when done as it is slow, slow, slow with lots of stop/start at rush hour but in the main it keeps moving (slowly!).

road_high wrote: »
    Reckon it will be great when done as it is slow, slow, slow with lots of stop/start at rush hour but in the main it keeps moving (slowly!).

While it might take another 2 or so years to be fully complete, how long before they're past each individual junction do we know? Once it's past each junction the more traffic will veer off and not be part of the log jam.

I admit to figuring out and using the junction 9 off ramp and remerging with the M7 only recently. Feel like a bit of a rat using it, but it must save 20/30 minutes... until everyone starts using it. You'd see others using J7 and J8 ramps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

While it might take another 2 or so years to be fully complete, how long before they're past each individual junction do we know? Once it's past each junction the more traffic will veer off and not be part of the log jam.

I admit to figuring out and using the junction 9 off ramp and remerging with the M7 only recently. Feel like a bit of a rat using it, but it must save 20/30 minutes... until everyone starts using it. You'd see others using J7 and J8 ramps as well.

Using that rat run is killing the flow from Naas to the ball. Took 40 mins last week to get from town onto J9 northbound as the rat runners take priority on ball roundabout as coming from the right. Having a massive affect on local traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Using that rat run is killing the flow from Naas to the ball. Took 40 mins last week to get from town onto J9 northbound as the rat runners take priority on ball roundabout as coming from the right. Having a massive affect on local traffic.

Naas is one town I avoid avoid due to the traffic. Ever before the M7 works started, it’s completely choked up especially the Sallins and Blessington road sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

Looks like they are getting ready to alter the lanes over the next few weeks, I presume so they can start on one side and on the bridges, that'll be fun until people get used to it

On the speed cameras, I have seen them there of a night.They can't park inside the barrier on the road where the works are happening as that is available for emergency services (and a couple of chancers I saw recently go down it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Is there plans for lighting along the entire upgraded part or just at the junctions?

• Advertisement

Looks like they are getting ready to alter the lanes over the next few weeks, I presume so they can start on one side and on the bridges, that'll be fun until people get used to it

On the speed cameras, I have seen them there of a night.They can't park inside the barrier on the road where the works are happening as that is available for emergency services (and a couple of chancers I saw recently go down it!)

Set for end of October as per the update given on RTE radio in August
    Cazale wrote: »
    Is there plans for lighting along the entire upgraded part or just at the junctions?

Lighting is being decommissioned on many motorways around Europe as it is seen as causing more issues than it solves. Even junctions are to get much more subdued lighting than it present. I would assume this project will take into account the latest directions.

Advertisement