Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wasn't any change this morning anyway.. But I was early enough (around 7am)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Breakdown this evening, was a breakdown yesterday evening.

Were breakdowns always this common or is it just because now with no hard shoulder cars are deciding to have a laugh with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Breakdown this evening, was a breakdown yesterday evening.

Were breakdowns always this common or is it just because now with no hard shoulder cars are deciding to have a laugh with us?

Breakdowns were always common well before works,
    Even with two lanes and hard shoulder, the broken down car would be completely off main road and in hard shoulder it would still cause major slowdown with all the rubber-neckers, and then you'd be flying once you get by it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wasn't any change this morning anyway.. But I was early enough (around 7am)

New layout in place this morning. Felt like progress to drive on the new tarmac. From driving the route almost daily it does appear like a hell of a lot has been done in the last week alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

KBurke85 wrote:
    New layout in place this morning. Felt like progress to drive on the new tarmac. From driving the route almost daily it does appear like a hell of a lot has been done in the last week alone.

What direction and junctions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Cazale wrote: »
    What direction and junctions?

Northbound past junction 10 towards Junction 9. Right lane merges on to new section. Left lane stays as is. It's only for about a km or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Northbound past junction 10 towards Junction 9. Right lane merges on to new section. Left lane stays as is. It's only for about a km or two.

Came up to it this morning without warning. There was a novelty penalty though as the new lane was significantly slower

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Some pics Sallins Bypass today

Some more pics Sallins Bypass today

Some pics from M7 *Carragh Road* Bridge, and just south of future J10 West onramp.

• Advertisement

One plus of that new temporary lane split (will check it out for myself next week) is that it'll cut out all the muppetry of undertaking and people trying to force their way in for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    One plus of that new temporary lane split (will check it out for myself next week) is that it'll cut out all the muppetry of undertaking and people trying to force their way in for a while.

Anyone going 60 is going to be murdered though now that they can't be overtaken.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Anyone going 60 is going to be murdered though now that they can't be overtaken.
    I think the article/kcc said split is only for a few days. Drove it and looks like enough new tar down for two lanes already.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Patww79 wrote: »

Drove northbound last night around 6:30 and traffic was heavy but moving.
    I was in left lane approaching the split and a car in front of me came to a full stop just at the split and was swaying left to right not knowing which lane to take.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Pablod wrote: »
    Drove northbound last night around 6:30 and traffic was heavy but moving.
    I was in left lane approaching the split and a car in front of me came to a full stop just at the split and was swaying left to right not knowing which lane to take.... :eek:

Same happened to me last night only a matter of time before someone has an accdent

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

ZX7R wrote: »
    Same happened to me last night only a matter of time before someone has an accdent

There was an accident this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

simons104 wrote: »
    There was an accident this afternoon

Hope everyone was ok.
    Just wondering did anyone else notice the sings that tell your speed don't seem to match the speed I am traveling at, riding home around 4:30 in the morning totally empty road my digital speedometer indicated I was doing 60km but sings say 68km

ZX7R wrote: »
    Hope everyone was ok.
    Just wondering did anyone else notice the sings that tell your speed don't seem to match the speed I am traveling at, riding home around 4:30 in the morning totally empty road my digital speedometer indicated I was doing 60km but sings say 68km
    Car speedo probably reads low, sings(sic) read high.
    Both lie, to get a true reading you need a GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Car speedometer cannot legally read low at all. Most of them read high, most digital ones are as close to bang on as possible. The only exception is if you've significantly changed wheel/tyre diameter.

The sign probably reads ridiculously high.

L1011 wrote: »
    Car speedometer cannot legally read low at all. Most of them read high, most digital ones are as close to bang on as possible. The only exception is if you've significantly changed wheel/tyre diameter.

The sign probably reads ridiculously high.

The sign was almost certainly reading the speed of a car in front or behind the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Car speedo probably reads low, sings(sic) read high.
    Both lie, to get a true reading you need a GPS.
    Use a smartphone app. It will tell you how much your car speedometer is out. Mine is over by 3 or 4%.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Use a smartphone app. It will tell you how much your car speedometer is out. Mine is over by 3 or 4%.

I find it depends on the speed... up to about 60 km/h it's pretty much bang on vs an app/digital signs. At 120 indicated though it's about 4-5 km/h over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In general (through years of having my own standalone Garmin), all cars over read the speed by about 5%, some are better some are worse.

That includes digital displays, my old Yaris said 128kmh when the GPS told me 120kmh. How I got a Yaris going that fast I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Took a spin down yesterday for a look. Terrible idea, races on, but nonetheless interesting to catch up as it's been nearly a year since the N7/M7 was part of my commute.

No change to the speed situation I see. Still mercilessly tailgated at 60km/h, and not a Garda in sight.

New Applegreen on the way south is a decent facility and looks to be a new NB one under construction just after J8 as well. Both very welcome.

The split NB between J10-J9 is dangerous. Ambulance yesterday couldn't get by slow traffic for the whole stretch. Even as a temporary solution, utterly stupid planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

sdanseo wrote:
    The split NB between J10-J9 is dangerous. Ambulance yesterday couldn't get by slow traffic for the whole stretch. Even as a temporary solution, utterly stupid planning.

It's either that or reduce the whole thing to 1 lane, as there is no other way to resurface the middle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Kevwoody wrote: »
    It's either that or reduce the whole thing to 1 lane, as there is no other way to resurface the middle lane.

The end result will be 3 lanes and a shoulder, meaning there are 4 lane widths available. I never saw this arrangement during the M1 widening (doesn't mean it didn't happen mind you) which is comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

sdanseo wrote:
    The end result will be 3 lanes and a shoulder, meaning there are 4 lane widths available. I never saw this arrangement during the M1 widening (doesn't mean it didn't happen mind you) which is comparable.

True, I presume they have more than 1 lane width closed off in the middle though, as they still need an access lane for works vehicles and space to work in.
    I'm heading up that way in the morning, I must take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

sdanseo wrote: »

I thought there was a road for EMS vehicles inside the work cordon? Has that been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sign was almost certainly reading the speed of a car in front or behind the poster.

They said they were on an otherwise empty road, so there are no other cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Those roadside signs can be wildly inaccurate. While usually about right, I have had them show me doing over double my actual speed. And it was me, not another car.

Advertisement