Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

markpb wrote: »
    I thought there was a road for EMS vehicles inside the work cordon? Has that been removed?

There's a lane in there for works vehicles, but at first glance going at anything above a crawl in it would be wildly dangerous. Lots of obstacles.

If it is for EMS the Ambulance ignored it. Was clearly in a hurry too because it keep sirens on the whole time, usually if stuck in traffic they will knock them off. Lost sight of it only after J7 so probably heading for Tallaght, or maybe Crumlin. Was in a hurry and even when the split ended people were slow to get out of the way and immediately behind it people using tailgating it to get ahead. Very frustrating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

sdanseo wrote: »
    There's a lane in there for works vehicles, but at first glance going at anything above a crawl in it would be wildly dangerous. Lots of obstacles.

If it is for EMS the Ambulance ignored it. Was clearly in a hurry too because it keep sirens on the whole time, usually if stuck in traffic they will knock them off. Lost sight of it only after J7 so probably heading for Tallaght, or maybe Crumlin. Was in a hurry and even when the split ended people were slow to get out of the way and immediately behind it people using tailgating it to get ahead. Very frustrating to watch.

Those lanes are absolutely for EMS vehicles and are to be maintained at all times by the contractors, one in each direction. I read this in the planning approval documents. There are however only certain breaks in the barriers to allow them join and leave this lane. Maybe he just missed one of these points when he received a dispatch call?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

L1011 wrote: »
    They said they were on an otherwise empty road, so there are no other cars

Checked again on the way home for night shift ,no traffic only me on my bike slowed down to first gear , started traveling at 20 km , sign read that I was doing 38 km.
    A fellow colleague traveled the same way as I half an hour earlier and was traveling at 60km and sign read 78km.
    Just to update

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Those lanes are absolutely for EMS vehicles and are to be maintained at all times by the contractors, one in each direction. I read this in the planning approval documents. There are however only certain breaks in the barriers to allow them join and leave this lane. Maybe he just missed one of these points when he received a dispatch call?

I didn't see any breaks in the section where that split is, maybe 2km - first time I've travelled it and dark, so I'm sure there are some - but it travelled the entire length of that section and then onwards in the overtaking lane until the end of the works area.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Next traffic lane change starts tomorrow:

From 06.00 a.m. on Thursday 22 November the current split in traffic on the eastbound carriageway, just after Junction 10, will be removed and both lanes will run on the new surface adjacent to the median for approximately 2.5km.

Two lanes will be maintained during peak hours of 6am to 9pm at all times. Once traffic has been moved across, works will commence to the adjacent verge/hard shoulder areas, which will include for the tie in of new slip lanes.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/traffic-moved-onto-newly-laid-m7-surface-tomorrow-next-phase-upgrade-begins/258745

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

That is going to lead to some mess in the morning I’d say.
    NedNew2 wrote: »
    Next traffic lane change starts tomorrow:

From 06.00 a.m. on Thursday 22 November the current split in traffic on the eastbound carriageway, just after Junction 10, will be removed and both lanes will run on the new surface adjacent to the median for approximately 2.5km.

Two lanes will be maintained during peak hours of 6am to 9pm at all times. Once traffic has been moved across, works will commence to the adjacent verge/hard shoulder areas, which will include for the tie in of new slip lanes.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/traffic-moved-onto-newly-laid-m7-surface-tomorrow-next-phase-upgrade-begins/258745

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's new.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Passed through it about an hour ago and it was OK

The digital signs though have warnings up that there'll be speed camera vans onsite from Monday next

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's a roadstone machine, tar laying, that has 2 balloon type things sticking out of it. Anyone know the use/purpose of the balloon things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

beertons wrote:
    There's a roadstone machine, tar laying, that has 2 balloon type things sticking out of it. Anyone know the use/purpose of the balloon things?

I assume it's a visual aid for the truck tipping the tarmac into the machine, as both of them need to crawl along in tandem. Difficult enough in the dark I'd say.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Passed through it about an hour ago and it was OK

The digital signs though have warnings up that there'll be speed camera vans onsite from Monday next

Driver's must have gotten there safe passes
    I heard a rumor that a lot of the speeding fines privous collected by the spread vans will be dropped as the driver's didn't hold safe passes.
    This is only a rumor I heard
    Probably no truth in it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ZX7R wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that a lot of the speeding fines privous collected by the spread vans will be dropped as the driver's didn't hold safe passes.
    Probably no truth in it

It's unlikely to have any impact even if the basic element was true

L1011 wrote: »
    It's unlikely to have any impact even if the basic element was true

I agree with you, but the littlest technicality gets people off now a days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why is there signs up now saying speed vans from the 26th? Were there not already vans there?

The new layout is fine at the minute anyway (didn't do it when it was split) and that new tarmac is lovely and smooth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ZX7R wrote: »
    Probably no truth in it

What are safe passes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

beertons wrote: »

They are powerful lights, when they are on, the balloons "inflate" and the fabric acts as a diffuser. It's almost like daylight.

spacetweek wrote: »
    What are safe passes?

Allow you to work on construction sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Overhead signs saying ‘Garda speed enforcement commences 26th Nov’

Whats this, average speed cameras?

Overhead signs saying ‘Garda speed enforcement commences 26th Nov’

Whats this, average speed cameras?
    Probably just a Garda hiding behind a digger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good! I was driving down that stretch last night at the speed limit (around midnight) and idiots were passing me at crazy speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

****ing rubber neckers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

“Just after interviewing Gardaí at Naas Garda Station. Anyone using the M7/M9 to and from Dublin be aware that from Monday, GoSafe vans will be along the route detecting drivers going over 60km/hr. €85 fine+ 3 points. They assure me it is NOT about shooting fish in a barrel...”

Shane Beatty KFM

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^Is he not gone around a month now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

beertons wrote: »
    ^Is he not gone around a month now?

Yeah I think he is actually but I don’t know where he is now so I just said kfm so everyone knows who I’m talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's an absolute nightmare to try and hold he speed limit along that stretch. I tried to stay at 60 and immediately I had drivers on my tale and at one stage a car started actually flashing me aggressively.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KOR101 wrote: »
    Some absolute scutter in the comments there.

I think it's worthwhile remembering that this project will be complete in a few months. After a number of crashes recently, especially with the darker evenings, it's about time safety was prioritised here. "I can't keep to 60km/h" goes out the window if a worker gets seriously injured or killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Most of the comments on The Journal seem to think that there's no work going on. Anytime I pass it's been a pretty busy site with activity at multiple points along it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: This thread is about the M7 and the work involved in the Newbridge Bypass Upgrade. It is not about speed limits - nor is it about personal attacks on other posters.

Off topic posts deleted.

Advertisement