Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

two camera vans northbound during the week, last one just before the end after the Naas on-ramp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Took me 1 hour 45 mins to get from junction 12 to junction 10 going northbound this morning from 945am. According to the AA it was due to a flat tire. Just not worth travelling the m7 anymore if a simple breakdown causes such chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Cazale wrote: »
    Took me 1 hour 45 mins to get from junction 12 to junction 10 going northbound this morning from 945am. According to the AA it was due to a flat tire. Just not worth travelling the m7 anymore if a simple breakdown causes such chaos.

probably would have been a good idea to stop at jn 12 and change the tyre then.
    id say your rim is wrecked. :D

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

1 hr 45mins? I was in it the same time and it took me 45mins?

Im commuting up and down the N7 since the works began and this is only about the 2nd time something like this has happened. It was a big delay but for such a large project you just have to take the rough with the smooth because the end result is going to be a game changer.

Don’t use the N7 if you don’t want to but try not come here moaning everytime you’re held up for a bit, you wont be on here complaining after Easter when your commute is reduced substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Im commuting up and down the N7 since the works began and this is only about the 2nd time something like this has happened. It was a big delay but for such a large project you just have to take the rough with the smooth because the end result is going to be a game changer.

Don’t use the N7 if you don’t want to but try not come here moaning everytime you’re held up for a bit, you wont be on here complaining after Easter when your commute is reduced substantially.
    the end result is your going to get past naas quicker but then the traffic is just pushed from kill to the m50. I’m dribing this road 19 yrs commuting to Dublin and the main advantage I can see is exiting Dublin there shouldn’t be the bottle neck that’s usually at naas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Game Changer? I don't think so. I commute everyday and I find the traffic shocking form exit 7 as far up as the red cow! It will might help a bit (has to really) but im not holding out much hope. The volume of traffic on the road and the rat runs is unnatural!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

benny79 wrote: »
    Game Changer? I don't think so. I commute everyday and I find the traffic shocking form exit 7 as far up as the red cow! It will might help a bit (has to really) but im not holding out much hope. The volume of traffic on the road and the rat runs is unnatural!

Exactly. The only people who are going to really benefit from this are Naas/Sallins Commuters. Blessed actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Checked my call logs there with the missus and I got stuck in it at 0940 and I rang her again from toghers garage at 12:24 so I'll say it was 1 hour 30 mins on the m7 itself for two junctions. Maybe you got lucky with your 45 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

1 hr 45mins

The poster is quite entitled to come on here and express a view and their frustration. It is an experience they had on the m7 due to building works which is what this thread is about. As for Game changer your living in cuckoo land if you think it’s all going to be plain sailing after Easter. The traffic on way into Dublin is completely blocked up from kill to red cow every morning anyway. It will improve things on way out of Dublin though. But it is really Naas and surrounding towns who will notice improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

There was a breakdown today and the effer couldn't be arsed pushing it into the verge and was almost gleeful with the chaos he was causing.

Would have been no problem to push it in and there was space on the verge.

And yes, close to 2 effin hours because of that effer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There was a breakdown today and the effer couldn't be arsed pushing it into the verge and was almost gleeful with the chaos he was causing.

Would have been no problem to push it in and there was space on the verge.

And yes, close to 2 effin hours because of that effer.

I wonder if they could be done for causing an obstruction,if
    there was ample space for them to push the car off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gilly1910

Get off your high horse, he or anyone else is perfectly entitled to come on here having a moan about the ridiculous amount of time that anyone in or around Dublin spends commuting in their car, due to decades of highly inefficient Government policies in the areas of housing, public transport, and our transport infrastructure in general. If anything it's sadly just going to get worse, hundreds of thousands of people are been priced out of ever living in Dublin, with the result that the likes of Wicklow, Kildare and Meath are just going to become suburbs of Dublin, with people spending anything up to five hours a day in their cars commuting to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

gilly1910 wrote: »
    Get off your high horse, he or anyone else is perfectly entitled to come on here having a moan about the ridiculous amount of time that anyone in or around Dublin spends commuting in their car, due to decades of Government inefficiencies in the areas of housing, public transport, and our transport infrastructure in general. If anything it's sadly just going to get worse, hundreds of thousands of people are been priced out of ever living in Dublin, with the result that the likes of Wicklow, Kildare and Meath are just going to become suburbs of Dublin, with people spending anything up to five hours a day in their cars commuting.

Have you got onto any of your local politicians/minister for transport/the nta, about building p+r’s on the radial routes into the city and then having frequent public transport servicing theses p+r’s? Or are you just on here moaning?
    Widening roads and building more roads is a waste of money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Congestion is not really a topic for this forum - Commuting & Transport would be more appropriate. Road works causes additional congestion but it has the end point of easing it, so bear with it. Updates on how it is going are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gilly1910

tom1ie wrote: »
    Have you got onto any of your local politicians/minister for transport/the nta, about building p+r’s on the radial routes into the city and then having frequent public transport servicing theses p+r’s? Or are you just on here moaning?
    Widening roads and building more roads is a waste of money.

This is Ireland, where generally they just talk about doing things, but rarely actually do them. Road building is probably one of the few things that they've actually done quite well over the last 20 years, even if we were starting from a point where we were 30 to 40 years behind most other countries when it came to our road network, my only regret is that they didn't build an outer ring road at the time, as the M50 is already over capacity, and getting worse all of the time. I agree that public transport is the best way forward, but again we're just so slow and lethargic at doing these things. They've been talking about building a metro to the airport for nigh on 20 years now, and it's still a decade away if it ever gets off the ground. Now their latest hair brained scheme is six bus corridors in Dublin that will cost an amazing 1.2 billion Euro, some countries would build an underground for that money. So yeah you can get on to your local politicians/minister/NTA whoever, but let's be honest it will make no difference, as we are governed by people from whom there are never any consequences to their actions or inactions in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

sea12 wrote: »
    The poster is quite entitled to come on here and express a view and their frustration...

sea12 wrote: »
    As for Game changer your living in cuckoo land if you think it’s all going to be plain sailing after Easter...

OK, that poster is quite entitled to make a point of view but im living in cloud cuckoo land for putting forward my point of view.

Nice logic. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we stop this sniping. It adds nothing to discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I live in Newbridge, and come up every day..between up & down takes about 3 hours a day...and thats when everything is going well. And for me, your comment about 'such a big project'?? Yes it is, but the workers should have been going 24/7 on this - we had one of the best summers ever, and I never saw a yellow helmet between the 2 sides once all summer.*

Oh and got news for You...there are people who have no choice but to use the N/M 7.

How are You so sure the problems will all be solved come Easter? I remember vividly when the flyover at Newlands X was built all that did was push the bottleneck 25 kms down the road to The Ball. Cannot see otherwise here in reverse.

Edit: * Apologies I should have mentioned that I was referring to afterhours here

I live in Newbridge, and come up every day..between up & down takes about 3 hours a day...and thats when everything is going well. And for me, your comment about 'such a big project'?? Yes it is, but the workers should have been going 24/7 on this - we had one of the best summers ever, and I never saw a yellow helmet between the 2 sides once all summer.*

Oh and got news for You...there are people who have no choice but to use the N/M 7.

How are You so sure the problems will all be solved come Easter? I remember vividly when the flyover at Newlands X was built all that did was push the bottleneck 25 kms down the road to The Ball. Cannot see otherwise here in reverse.

Edit: * Apologies I should have mentioned that I was referring to afterhours here

Just wondering, what area of the city do you work in? If reliable public transport was available from a p+r situated directly off the n7 would you use it?

Just wondering, what area of the city do you work in? If reliable public transport was available from a p+r situated directly off the n7 would you use it?

I am a courier, so don't have a choice ( wish I did though lol ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ah would you not bring all the stuff on the bus or the back of a bike? We're always told nobody needs to use a car or van.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

road_high wrote: »
    Which is why an all out effort should have been made during the great summer we had to get the work advanced- not leave it all til now
    Do you think they were just sitting around twiddling their thumbs all summer?

fullstop wrote: »
    Do you think they were just sitting around twiddling their thumbs all summer?

I'm not sure if they were or not twiddleing their thumbs, but what I do know is that I travel down that road almost every evening & there were long bright summer evenings with not a single yellow helmet in the centre.

I wonder is there no incentive to have worked those long summer evenings and get the job done sooner and alleviate the bottlenecks, or do they just adopt an attitude of as long as it's done by a given date, sin a bhuil.

That’s fair enough, I just wonder if people were traveling from Naas or newbridge etc to an office in the cc or inchicore or somewhere along that route would they use a p+r if there was frequent reliable public transport.
    Anyone care to answer?

That’s fair enough, I just wonder if people were traveling from Naas or newbridge etc to an office in the cc or inchicore or somewhere along that route would they use a p+r if there was frequent reliable public transport.
    Anyone care to answer?

I can't speak a whole lot for the P+R in Newbridge. However, I do know space is at a serious premium in Sallins. Can't say there is much incentive to P+R there.

I could be wrong though, but reading the Naas thread parking is an ever ending hassle in Sallins:

Here's one: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103486575

I'm not sure if they were or not twiddleing their thumbs, but what I do know is that I travel down that road almost every evening & there were long bright summer evenings with not a single yellow helmet in the centre.

I wonder is there no incentive to have worked those long summer evenings and get the job done sooner and alleviate the bottlenecks, or do they just adopt an attitude of as long as it's done by a given date, sin a bhuil.

Read posts on previous pages

1. You cannot have workers work more than 48 hours a week

2. This is a 14km project plus two new junctions plus sallins bypass. There are at all times in excess of thirty teams working, sometimes over forty. Plenty of area to work during normal hours. General Night working is very rarely if ever a feature of major road projects anywhere. - and I'm including UK and Germany in that.

But maybe putting a few teams on nights and letting those workers sleep during the day would give people like you a good feeling.??

But utterly crazy considering that there is space for all teams to be working normal hours.

Only result would be safety issues and premium payments. Certainly zero time savings

Anyone care to answer?

A major Dublin Airport style park and ride base was mooted with frequent busses from 6am to 7pm and less frequent at other times.

Location would be the odlum lands that straddle both sides of the N7 near blackchurch.

It came up a couple of years ago and may resurface.

Three bus routes were suggested

Citywest and ballymount.

City centre / Stephens green via the canal

City centre / ifsc via inchicore and heuston.

I don't know whether it was just hypothetical talk or whether it was being seriously considered.

A major Dublin Airport style park and ride base was mooted with frequent busses from 6am to 7pm and less frequent at other times.

Location would be the odlum lands that straddle both sides of the N7 near blackchurch.

It came up a couple of years ago and may resurface.

Three bus routes were suggested

Citywest and ballymount.

City centre / Stephens green via the canal

City centre / ifsc via inchicore and heuston.

I don't know whether it was just hypothetical talk or whether it was being seriously considered.

The likes of this is where we need to be spending money, not necessarily on widening roads. If you built a 10000 space p+r with frequent busses running to cc and other important buisness parks, it would alleviate a lot of congestion. Once the busses were given dedicated qbc’s of course.

Was there ever anything official about it, as in drawings?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The likes of this is where we need to be spending money, not necessarily on widening roads. If you built a 10000 space p+r with frequent busses running to cc and other important buisness parks, it would alleviate a lot of congestion. Once the busses were given dedicated qbc’s of course.

Was there ever anything official about it, as in drawings?
    TII are mainly widening the roads for safety reasons. If the 2 lane motorway is well over capacity adding a third lane cuts down on accidents and improves flow along that stretch.

Widening the M7 is a no brainer as the flow naturally improves at J11 when the M7 splits into the M7 and M9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Would love to see a big P&R system in place somewhere along the m7 with good bus corridors into the city ... I recon a lot of people would use it. Private regional buses could also use it as a connection for people going to different areas of the city.
    We traveled on the train into Dublin last week for first time in years. For my wife and one child it was 40 something euro return. Crazy.
    No wonder people won’t use public transport with those prices.

Advertisement