Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I'd say it would be in the same cost/closure requirements as moving the entire station, which would be the alternative if you want a P+R on the bypass, either would suit the concept of reducing traffic in Sallins itself to essentially local only.

Not sure what cost estimates you’re basing your comparisons on.

It’s not feasible to build a link road beside the train track. It would be too near the tracks themselves and would preclude the quadrupling of the line to Kildare Town in the future.

The only sustainable and/or realistic, but still expensive, option is to build a new station at the by-pass or on another plot of land close to the M7 (west of Kildare Town).

Traffic will be reduced by traffic calming the stretches of existing Sallins-Crane Road, with additional crossings for pedestrians, similar to what public is demanding at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The station wouldn't have to be moved, just build a new station with terminating platform west of the town. Call it M7 Parkway.

It would be way too close to the existing station for it to make sense for IE to maintain both of them, the nearest I could see a case being made for an additional station would be at Caragh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

M7 Naas Road Widening on Target for Spring 2019: Press Statement

The SIAC Colas Joint Venture Company has confirmed that works on the 14 km section of the M7 are progressing well and on target for completion in the Spring of 2019.

An additional traffic lane is being constructed in both directions between Junction 9 Naas North and Junction 11 Kilcullen M9 / M7 merge. This scheme also includes an upgrade of Junction 10 Newbridge /Newhall and a new interchange Junction 9A at Osberstown which will facilitate access to the proposed Sallins By-pass currently under construction.

Two further significant traffic movements to the new carriageways are scheduled for completion prior to year end to allow verge and strengthening works to the existing traffic lanes and hard shoulders between Junctions 9 and 10.

Similar movements are scheduled to be carried out between Junctions 10 and 11 in January / early February 2019.

Works on the Sallins By-Pass are also progressing well and are scheduled for completion in October 2019. These works include a 4 km single carriageway and a further 1 km Sallins Link Road. Five new bridges are also part of this scheme and include the Osberstown Interchange Bridge, Osberstown Road Bridge and two bridges over the River Liffey and one which traverses the Grand Canal.

This scheme is being constructed by the SIAC Colas Joint Venture Company and currently employs directly and indirectly over 700 staff, suppliers and sub-contractors.

Current traffic management arrangements cater for over 75,000 vehicles per day.

This project is being funded by Transport Infrastructure Ireland, the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and Kildare County Council.

The cooperation of the public is very much appreciated.

http://dlvr.it/QtyS2W

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

What does Spring 2019 translate to?
    That is a 3 month window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

MICKEYG wrote: »
    What does Spring 2019 translate to?
    That is a 3 month window.

I'd say that's the idea. Get people talking about Feb, finish in April, and everybody's still right.

_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

December update now on http://www.m7upgrade.com/project-updates
    Video of all works. Photos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

None of the unofficial PR bulletins about the road being finished on time are going to help people stuck in traffic jams on the M7 this very moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Emme wrote: »
    None of the unofficial PR bulletins about the road being finished on time are going to help people stuck in traffic jams on the M7 this very moment.

Nothing will. Roadworks suck but they're part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Emme wrote: »

Poor lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd say that's the idea. Get people talking about Feb, finish in April, and everybody's still right.

_

Furthermore, they can cover themselves by saying they were referring to the meteorological Spring which starts on Mar 1st and ends on May 31st!! :pac:

A lot of folks have been complaining about what they perceive as lack of progress but a lot of what needs to be done isn't visible progress. I actually think they are doing a great job considering the logistical challenges of working within the confines of one of the busiest arteries in the country with 75K vehicles interfacing with construction every day.

Driving home for Christmas on Saturday so looking forward to seeing the progress since my last spin home back in October!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I travel that route at least 5 days a week so can see what progress has been achieved.
    Finally, in the section from Naas to Newbridge, some progress is visible which is great.
    However, what many people here are saying is that during a lovely summer we had this year, almost nothing was done. I understand that drainage had to be installed etc but again, during long days, hardly any activity was seen. The occasional 1-2 digger and the rare truck so, almost no work done when a lot could have been done.
    I don't blame siac rather than the Government as siac clearly submitted such a proposal which got accepted by the state. Instead of the budget holder wanting a fast, aggressive timeline for completion, they settled for mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

I hope they will be working Christmas day - if not I'll be on here banging on about it. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I hope they will be working Christmas day - if not I'll be on here banging on about it. :D

Half day Friday and 2 weeks holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

beertons wrote:
    Half day Friday and 2 weeks holidays.

How dare they should take 2 weeks holidays!
    And they obviously didn't do anything all summer, as the road wouldn't be complete by next spring.
    Roadworks are a part of life, going by some posters on here, they expect new roads to just fall out of the sky with no disruption!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think with any major infrastructure works when it comes to near the end of the project the public who are inconvenienced most by it get what Id call works fatigue where they just want to see the project finished ASAP. I know I felt that way for the final six months of the Luas Crosscity works, you could see all the tracks laid down but it still just went on and on for months longer and everyone was at the end of their tether just wanting the dam thing to finish so traffic could get back to some kind of 'normal'.

When works fatigue sets in everyone comes up with reasons why it should have been done quicker. Works fatigue has clearly set in now for the public on the M7 project, especially for those who have to use it five days a week for a commute. Its understandable and I know how people feel having experienced 2+ years of traffic chaos during the Luas works. At least the M7 project is in the final furlong now, all this stress will be forgotten about in Spring when it finally opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭prunudo

There is a trait creeping into modern life that everything has to be instant. Peoples level of patience isn't what it used to be. Construction is still hugely labour intensive yet people now expect everything at the click of a mouse.
    Who knows the reason they couldnt make the most of the dry summer, maybe it was just down to bad timing and where the project was at a giving time. I certainly don't think they set out to cause traffic disruption and annoy commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Maybe all the people giving out here could donate all there time off over Xmas to go do jobs on the motorway. Might speed it up a bit and could be productive instead of coming on here giving out constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Maybe all the people giving out here could donate all there time off over Xmas to go do jobs on the motorway. Might speed it up a bit and could be productive instead of coming on here giving out constantly.

So,can nobody complain here? Whats the point in having Boards then? Sorry, but for me everyone is entitled to air their views, whether they agree with You or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

So,can nobody complain here? Whats the point in having Boards then? Sorry, but for me everyone is entitled to air their views, whether they agree with You or not.

There is subtle difference between exchanging views, asking questions etc and just moaning.

Anyway, it's X-mas, a lot of workers on such projects are from distant places, often foreign. You can't seriously expect they will be working flat out over the festive period. Even if they did most of the suppliers sites will be shut.

It is not unique to Ireland, in the UK or Poland it is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jvan wrote: »
    There is a trait creeping into modern life that everything has to be instant. Peoples level of patience isn't what it used to be. Construction is still hugely labour intensive yet people now expect everything at the click of a mouse.
    Who knows the reason they couldnt make the most of the dry summer, maybe it was just down to bad timing and where the project was at a giving time. I certainly don't think they set out to cause traffic disruption and annoy commuters.

Probably true but it's not unreasonable to feel that when it's taken 16 months to do a 14km widening road programme with 100,000 commuters disrupted daily that all hands are on deck to get the job done as soon as possible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Geogregor wrote: »
    There is subtle difference between exchanging views, asking questions etc and just moaning.

Anyway, it's X-mas, a lot of workers on such projects are from distant places, often foreign. You can't seriously expect they will be working flat out over the festive period. Even if they did most of the suppliers sites will be shut.

It is not unique to Ireland, in the UK or Poland it is the same.

Not quite true to be fair ,if they were working to a proper deadline with imposed pelenties for exciding the deadline, you bet your ass they be working over Christmas.
    In reference to polish road works , when they were putting in the new motorway for the European cup at the time,the motorway works continued 24/7 365 days a year

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What are the penalties for overrun ?

100,000 a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What are the penalties for overrun ?

100,000 a day?

I wouldn't be sure how much ,but one Irish company that was contracted to complete part of the motorway works in Poland went over there deadline by 14 days and were fined 45000euro a day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not quite true to be fair ,if they were working to a proper deadline with imposed pelenties for exciding the deadline, you bet your ass they be working over Christmas.
    In reference to polish road works , when they were putting in the new motorway for the European cup at the time,the motorway works continued 24/7 365 days a year

They are working to a deadline and they're on target. The deadline will have holidays built in to it.

It's very rare for a road building project to go over time. The bog outside Limerick delaying the opening of a part of the Nenagh to Limerick section of the M7 is the only one I can think of in the last 15 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Probably true but it's not unreasonable to feel that when it's taken 16 months to do a 14km widening road programme with 100,000 commuters disrupted daily that all hands are on deck to get the job done as soon as possible.

And who knows, perhaps if they had been going 24/7, especially during the summer, the project would be finished by now...not referring to the Sallins Ringroad in this...just the M7).

Anyhow let's hope the wider M/way will be open for Easter. It'll be certainly an asset driving down from Dublin/M50 but going up, now therein will be another issue..but let's leave it and save that for another thread.

Season's Greetings EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Can they not do it at night and stop the traffic mayhem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Gael23 wrote:
    Can they not do it at night and stop the traffic mayhem?

Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Was down that way for a look this morning. The Leinster aqueduct has been re-opened, I thought that might have been closed as part of the works, but it seems they were reinforcing parts of it instead. There's not much progress on the Sallins bypass since August, but they do have a newly laid road in preparation for an overpass beside the railway line (is that Osberstown, or Osberstown road?). It doesn't look like they are going to do anything about the existing bridge over the canal there, so that's going to be an interesting drive when it's completed.

The 2 speed vans were on the southbound carriage way this morning, not sure if that's a regular thing, that they are both on the same side, or if they mix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Rulmeq wrote:
    The 2 speed vans were on the southbound carriage way this morning, not sure if that's a regular thing, that they are both on the same side, or if they mix it up.

Always two on the same side any time I've seen them. Catches the people who think they are in the clear once they past the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

After this scheme opens, let’s hope there is proper policing of middle lane morons. What’s the point of 3 lanes if lane 1 is never used?

Advertisement