Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

After this scheme opens, let’s hope there is proper policing of middle lane morons. What’s the point of 3 lanes if lane 1 is never used?

Merging lessons needed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

After this scheme opens, let’s hope there is proper policing of middle lane morons. What’s the point of 3 lanes if lane 1 is never used?

Unfortunately wont happen, when it does open - Northbound it's just an earlier junction for drivers to start in middle lane and Southbound it will allow them to be middle lane morans for longer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Rulmeq wrote: »
    The Leinster aqueduct has been re-opened, I thought that might have been closed as part of the works, but it seems they were reinforcing parts of it instead.
    Correct. A wall was damaged. Not related to M7/bypass works.
    There's not much progress on the Sallins bypass since August, but they do have a newly laid road in preparation for an overpass beside the railway line (is that Osberstown, or Osberstown road?).
    Yes Osberstown Road. That new bit seems to be temp. Openstreetmap updated.
    It doesn't look like they are going to do anything about the existing bridge over the canal there, so that's going to be an interesting drive when it's completed.
    Actually Osberstown Road will just go over the new bypass. There will be no intersection between these roads.

Also, this new stretch now open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Cazale wrote: »
    Always two on the same side any time I've seen them. Catches the people who think they are in the clear once they past the first one.

Just to endorse Your words Cazale: Yesterday evening I went up to Dublin, coming on at J10. I saw 2 vans, one driving southbound ( can only assume he was driving into position, but have no proof). The other was parked on a grass verge around Johnstown Garden centre northbound. Those 3 lanes seemed like a Christmas Tree with all the jamming on.

BEWARE, don't think You are 'free' once You pass J9..ANYTHING but!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sure just set your cruise control to 90kph and sit in lane 1. You are not breaking the speed limit. If you happen to overtake in lane 1 while not speeding the cars in lane 2 and 3 are at fault, and that’s according to rsa literature which states lane 2 and lane 3 are overtaking lanes, lane 1 is the driving lane.
    Also the overriding rule on roads in Ireland are drive on the left. You can’t get much more left than lane 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

tom1ie wrote: »
    Sure just set your cruise control to 90kph and sit in lane 1. You are not breaking the speed limit. If you happen to overtake in lane 1 while not speeding the cars in lane 2 and 3 are at fault, and that’s according to rsa literature which states lane 2 and lane 3 are overtaking lanes, lane 1 is the driving lane.
    Also the overriding rule on roads in Ireland are drive on the left. You can’t get much more left than lane 1.

That’s what I do except at 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭prunudo

Probably true but it's not unreasonable to feel that when it's taken 16 months to do a 14km widening road programme with 100,000 commuters disrupted daily that all hands are on deck to get the job done as soon as possible.

Think its a pretty reasonable timeframe to be honest considering they're dealing with restricted space, live traffic lanes and the logistics all that entails.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was talking a neighbour yesterday, who is an engineer, and he said the biggest delay is getting the kcc engineer's to sign off on all the work. He reckons the 3 lanes could have been open in half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

beertons wrote: »
    Was talking a neighbour yesterday, who is an engineer, and he said the biggest delay is getting the kcc engineer's to sign off on all the work. He reckons the 3 lanes could have been open in half the time.

If that's true it comes as no surprise to me. Having had to deal with them many times, Kildare County Council must be the most incompetent, inefficient, bureaucratic and arrogant establishment on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

NedNew2 wrote: »
    If that's true it comes as no surprise to me. Having had to deal with them many times, Kildare County Council must be the most incompetent, inefficient, bureaucratic and arrogant establishment on this island.

Actually when it comes to the Top of the Pops for incompetence, there is really huge competition for that title across all state bodies, kildare CC are nothing special, they are just typical of people who spend other peoples money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

They are working to a deadline and they're on target. The deadline will have holidays built in to it.

It's very rare for a road building project to go over time. The bog outside Limerick delaying the opening of a part of the Nenagh to Limerick section of the M7 is the only one I can think of in the last 15 years or so.
    Perhaps the problem is the time targets set in the original contract. A bit like the way most of the Dublin -London flights are scheduled for 1hr 30mins, but we all know that the flight only lasts 50-55 mins, but because the flight arrives before the scheduled time its deemed to be on time. public bodies in this country seem incapable of setting proper contracts for public procurement contracts, or why else would everything seem to cost so much more than in other countries and take so much longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Speed Camera vans are having the desired effect.... someone mentioned on RTE has gotten done for doing 124kmh in the 60kmh zone. Moron.

The Speed Camera vans are having the desired effect.... someone mentioned on RTE has gotten done for doing 124kmh in the 60kmh zone. Moron.
    I bet that there was only one car on the road at the time, some stupid time when there was no other traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I bet that there was only one car on the road at the time, some stupid time when there was no other traffic.

Probably no workers either.

Only one absolute imbecile. How many signs are up?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Only one absolute imbecile. How many signs are up?
    Consider the stupidity of a rule that 24x7x365 on a road that has 9-5 working, the limit should be variable, with 100kmh during quiet times and 80 outside active working periods.

Some roads that pass schools have a different limit during the arrival & departure times for additional safety for the children, the same can easily be applied to roadworks with intermittent working.

Consider the stupidity of a rule that 24x7x365 on a road that has 9-5 working, the limit should be variable, with 100kmh during quiet times and 80 outside active working periods.

Some roads that pass schools have a different limit during the arrival & departure times for additional safety for the children, the same can easily be applied to roadworks with intermittent working.

Well said DB. I also think it's absolutly stupid forcing motorists to do 60 on the sections that are the finished product...around Kerry Foods. Been up to Dublin today and saw nobody with a yellow helmet on...what a joke!

Consider the stupidity of knowing that's the case and still driving at over double it.

No matter what you think about whether there should be or not there is a speed limit there and anyone caught speeding on the section, given all the warnings plastered all over it, is an absolute gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Well said DB. I also think it's absolutly stupid forcing motorists to do 60 on the sections that are the finished product...around Kerry Foods. Been up to Dublin today and saw nobody with a yellow helmet on...what a joke!

They have a token van there all the time there is no work going on. Amber flashing lights on the roof. He literally does fuk all except sit there to give credence to the fact it's a work zone.
    Went up to DAP about 3 weeks ago at 05.00 !!. I was the only one (literally) on the road except for the knut in the speed van.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm pretty sure that variable speed limits aren't actually legal yet. Legislation has to go through the Dail before it can be used on the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I drove southbound on the 24th and the sign at the Naas ball said 2,200 people had been caught speeding. Drove past the same sign tonight and it has gone up to 2,800. Good enough for them I say after all the warnings.

Cazale wrote: »
    I drove southbound on the 24th and the sign at the Naas ball said 2,200 people had been caught speeding. Drove past the same sign tonight and it has gone up to 2,800. Good enough for them I say after all the warnings.
    Great for the stats! Politicians love this type of "evidence" that their strategy is working.

Probably zero affect on safety as the road is not being worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Great for the stats! Politicians love this type of "evidence" that their strategy is working.

By that logic you can drive past schools at 120 kph before 8 and after 3...sure there'll be no.kids there ergo no risk to anyone's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Drove it ont he 26th and there was a number of workmen there.

The lanes are narrow and the alignment changes a number of times. 120km is not safe on it.

Although enforcement does seem to be working. Very few other vehicles passed me over the limit compared to a couple of months ago.

mfceiling wrote: »
    By that logic you can drive past schools at 120 kph before 8 and after 3...sure there'll be no.kids there ergo no risk to anyone's safety.
    Show me a school that is on a 120kph road!
    But set a limit too low for the conditions and put cameras on it, then you're just creating a situation where politicians can gloat that their "plans are working!"

I have no issue with realistic speed limits, clean licence to prove it.

The lanes are narrow and the alignment changes a number of times. 120km is not safe on it.

Although enforcement does seem to be working. Very few other vehicles passed me over the limit compared to a couple of months ago.
    Set a realistic temporary variable limit depending on conditions, lane widths, worker activity and traffic volumes and most drivers will respect it.

Set a silly low limit 24 x 7 x 365 and load up the route with cameras during the quiet times, all you do is clock up tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

It doesn't change the fact that the guy was a moron doing double of the speed limit.

How difficult is it to understand the simple message. If the limit is, say, 60km/h don't drive above that speed. And if you do and get a ticket, don't moan.

As simple as that, even if it seem to be beyond some people's comprehension...

Anyway, how much time are you going to gain driving like an idiot on such short stretch. 5 min? 10? Barely enough for a cup of tasteless coffee in a plastic cup or a piss after such coffee...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Set a realistic temporary variable limit depending on conditions, lane widths, worker activity and traffic volumes and most drivers will respect it.

Set a silly low limit 24 x 7 x 365 and load up the route with cameras during the quiet times, all you do is clock up tickets.

Variable speeds limits are not legislated for in this country and wont be until the law is passed to allow them on the M50.

So stop asking for things that aren't legal.

Said it all along, only in Ireland do they permit ANY vehicle over a certain weight ( trucks/coaches especially) use the outside lane while roadworks are ongoing, & especially when lane width has been reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are theu closed up for the Christmas break on this project?

Advertisement