Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭prunudo

Said it all along, only in Ireland do they permit ANY vehicle over a certain weight ( trucks/coaches especially) use the outside lane while roadworks are ongoing, & especially when lane width has been reduced.

Technically trucks arent allowed in any outside lane. Not 100% sure on buses and coaches. What is also ridiculous is the amount of coaches full of pax doing over 100kph on any road.
    The sooner they introduce variable speed limits across the country the better, not just for the M50. It will have a huge benefit to congestion on the main roads heading to the major cities. But it will have to coincide with better signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Drove it ont he 26th and there was a number of workmen there.

The lanes are narrow and the alignment changes a number of times. 120km is not safe on it.

Although enforcement does seem to be working. Very few other vehicles passed me over the limit compared to a couple of months ago.

Enforcement and the two speed vans are definitely working, I drove it twice a few days back and only about 10% of people were breaking the 60kph limit whereas before it felt like 50% were speeding. The signs said some 2,800 prosecutions for speeding to date, a few penalty points and higher insurance premiums should soften their cough.

The whole story of these roadworks and the speed vans just goes to show that when it comes to rules in Ireland you can beg and plead all you want but its not until the hammer comes out that people will actually obey them. Roadworks from here on in should just have these speed vans as default instead of having selfish people performing mental gymnastics trying to justify their own speeding because they think they know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

jvan wrote: »
    Technically trucks arent allowed in any outside lane. Not 100% sure on buses and coaches. What is also ridiculous is the amount of coaches full of pax doing over 100kph on any road.
    The sooner they introduce variable speed limits across the country the better, not just for the M50. It will have a huge benefit to congestion on the main roads heading to the major cities. But it will have to coincide with better signage.

Trucks are only not allowed use the outside lane where the speedlimit >80
    the m50/M1/R139 has a lane merging from the right and trucks wouldn't be able to use the junction otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

road_high wrote: »
    Are theu closed up for the Christmas break on this project?

I think so yeah, I read on here they get two weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think so yeah, I read on here they get two weeks off.

There were workmen there on the 26th in SIAC vans. Not sure if it’s fully closed down.

• Advertisement

Trucks are only not allowed use the outside lane where the speedlimit >80
    the m50/M1/R139 has a lane merging from the right and trucks wouldn't be able to use the junction otherwise.

True, if layout means they need to use that lane then fair enough but as a general rule they shouldn't be in the outside lane. Can only go on what I was told doing truck lessons. Everyday experiences would say i may be in minority in being taught this though!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Geogregor wrote: »
    It doesn't change the fact that the guy was a moron doing double of the speed limit.

How difficult is it to understand the simple message. If the limit is, say, 60km/h don't drive above that speed. And if you do and get a ticket, don't moan.

As simple as that, even if it seem to be beyond some people's comprehension...

Anyway, how much time are you going to gain driving like an idiot on such short stretch. 5 min? 10? Barely enough for a cup of tasteless coffee in a plastic cup or a piss after such coffee...

The difference between driving at a constant 60kph and and a constant 100kph over the whole 13.5km is less than five minutes and a half minutes. Anyone who risks their licence (or worse) for a saving like that deserves everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Geogregor wrote: »
    It doesn't change the fact that the guy was a moron doing double of the speed limit.
    True. You do have speed freaks. No problem with them being caught and punished.
    How difficult is it to understand the simple message. If the limit is, say, 60km/h don't drive above that speed. And if you do and get a ticket, don't moan.
    If the government passes a law that says no-one can drive on Friday unless they're named Larry and wearing a chicken suit, and someone named Dave gets caught with only a clown costume, should he "not moan" about getting a ticket?

Laws need to be enforced but they also need to be fair and reasonable. 60kph on a dual carriageway with good conditions and no road works is not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we cut out the nonsense about speed limits and who should obey them. This thread is about the M7 widening.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Anyone in a car not doing 90 Kms plus on a motorway should be allowed be rammed outta the way by a truck if trucks and buses aren’t allowed in the over taken lane. As regards the m7 road works I’ve no problem with 60 in working hrs but outsidecof working hrs it should be motorway limits and anyone that is not comfortable at these speeds could always use the older national roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Anyone in a car not doing 90 Kms plus on a motorway should be allowed be rammed outta the way by a truck if trucks and buses aren’t allowed in the over taken lane. As regards the m7 road works I’ve no problem with 60 in working hrs but outsidecof working hrs it should be motorway limits and anyone that is not comfortable at these speeds could always use the older national roads.

Little boy racer's toys....now on a floor, near a pram, near you...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Could you take your childish nonsense to another place. This forum is for discussing infrastructure, and this one in particular is for discussing the M7 widening project. I have already said speed is not to be discussed here - it has been done to death. Any more of this nonsense . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

road_high wrote: »
    Are theu closed up for the Christmas break on this project?

Came down from Dublin this morning, and didn't see any action on the N/M 7 - I turn off at J10, so cannot speak for any further.

Interestingly though, there were workers on the LIDL site just before Wyeth on the old N7.

Came down from Dublin this morning, and didn't see any action on the N/M 7 - I turn off at J10, so cannot speak for any further.

Interestingly though, there were workers on the LIDL site just before Wyeth on the old N7.

Majority of construction sites go back tomorrow. Most suppliers were closed today too.

jvan wrote: »
    Majority of construction sites go back tomorrow. Most suppliers were closed today too.

Fair enough, I just thought it ironic that a building site for a private company is working while a public operation was off.

There is a large piece of blue painted machinery up on a hill at the Kerry Foods bridge. That machine hasn't moved since before Christmas. Now there may ( & I'm sure someone will say yay or nay ) be a genuine reason for this m/c parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

There is a large piece of blue painted machinery up on a hill at the Kerry Foods bridge.

For installing piles for side pier foundation of new bridge now that traffic relocated into center lanes.

Looks like they are prioritising motorway interchange rather than bypass bridge over canal.

Anyone know if new motorway interchange at Kerry will be opened as part of 3 lane opening in a few months?

For installing piles for side pier foundation of new bridge now that traffic relocated into center lanes.

Looks like they are prioritising motorway interchange rather than bypass bridge over canal.

Anyone know if new motorway interchange at Kerry will be opened as part of 3 lane opening in a few months?

Wife was driving home yesterday afternoon on this stretch of road. She saw a wee puppy, but was heartbroken She couldn't stop to take the pup home.

Bloody hell, what kind of savage would dump a dog? Also, why on a Motorway?? I know someone will ask, how did the 'sumper' do it? I have no idea, but that pup didn't walk there.

Also came across this: https://www.kildarenow.com/news/kildare-senator-says-projects-like-m7-roadworks-24-hours-day/263766

Interesting, but a bit late waking up Sen. Lawlor. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Fair enough, I just thought it ironic that a building site for a private company is working while a public operation was off.

There is a large piece of blue painted machinery up on a hill at the Kerry Foods bridge. That machine hasn't moved since before Christmas. Now there may ( & I'm sure someone will say yay or nay ) be a genuine reason for this m/c parked up.

Bit off topic but that building is mainly Kerry Taste and Nutrition (formerly Kerry Ingredients). Kerry foods is just 20% of Kerry group with T&N being most of the remaining 80%. Foods have a very small footprint in the building.

Back on topic. All updates to date have stated that the Sallins bypass will be later in the year but no-one has said as yet of they would open the exists to Naas and Millennium Park in advance (with the 3 lanes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I would say it makes sense for them to get the bridge work done at the new junction (and Junction 10) while they have the majority of the roadworks present on the Motorway as it will minimise overall disruption, far fewer people are going to be inconvenienced by the canal works so they can work away on that with impunity once the main section is complete. As to the junction opening with the main road, I've not seen any particular indication of it, they might worry that it would exacerbate traffic problems through Sallins if they add another option for feeding off without fixing the capacity through the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Working late on the junction at Kerry group this evening. At 7 there was about 7-8 excavators, bull dozers and rollers working on ramps.

• Advertisement

Saw tonight coming home, the number of offenders is now 4,678, which equates to €374,240.

Well now...........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Saw tonight coming home, the number of offenders is now 4,678, which equates to €374,240.

Well now...........
    We'll have 3 lanes out to Monasterevin in no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats gone up by 2000 since before Christmas. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

In general terms, when this is done how much time will this new road knock off the morning commute time from naas to dublin city centre?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

tastyt wrote: »
    In general terms, when this is done how much time will this new road knock off the morning commute time from naas to dublin city centre?
    It's hard to tell because most of the time spent sitting in traffic at Naas will now just be spent at a longer queue approaching the M50. There will also be more traffic entering the M7 quicker due to the new Sallins bypass junction, along with improved throughput from the relocated J10.

The real time savings will be outbound in the evenings where the lane split at the M7/M9 merge won't be a bottleneck, along with the improved access at the 2 new junctions at Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

tastyt wrote: »

Naas to Dublin will still be 3 lanes, no difference. Coming out of Dublin should have better flow nearing naas and should save 3 or 4 minutes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

New split in the works, going southbound a few hundred metres past the Jct. 9. Driving lane continues on in the old hard shoulder, overtaking lane goes over to the new surface. So you can do most of Jct.9 to Jct. 10 on the new surface now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

Heard on Newstalk this morning that the 3 lanes will definitely be open by END April 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Eoghanj wrote: »
    Heard on Newstalk this morning that the 3 lanes will definitely be open by END April 2019

https://www.newstalk.com/Traffic-chaos-on-the-N7-could-be-over-by-April

• Advertisement

3 lanes to be open on M7 from April. The 2 interchanges and the Sallins bypass to open in early 2020.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/m7-three-lane-motorway-to-open-ahead-of-schedule-in-april-1.3753743

Reduced speed limits to remain in operation until the project is complete in early 2020. It's unclear if this is the entire stretch or just the parts around the interchange works.

Advertisement