Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TCM wrote: »
    I drove that section the other morning at 2am. The 60 speed limit is beyond idiotic.

It is better to arrive late that the late ...

Speed kills. There have been a large number of fatal crashes in the past wee while - speeding makes any crash more serious - and likely fatal.

Mod: This is not a thread for decrying speed limits. Can we discuss the road not the limits. Post will be deleted and bans handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I drove that section the other morning at 2am. The 60 speed limit is beyond idiotic.

2am or rush hour its a very abnormal and unsafe road layout. The 60kph limit is for your own safety as much as workers in the daytime.

It is better to arrive late that the late ...

Speed kills. There have been a large number of fatal crashes in the past wee while - speeding makes any crash more serious - and likely fatal.
    Speed limits on a road construction project are there to protect the workforce, out of working hours they shouds be eased.

Speed kills, yes in the wrong place or time, but not on a clear road without obsticles, a reduced limit of say 80 - 100 on the road out of hours would not increase the risks involved on driving the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There are people working on the shoulder of the M50 but the limit is still the worker free 100

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

The Gatso vans must have flexi time as I leave Naas at 6 AM mon-fri and the're never there. It's sad but many people seem to know that as it's not uncommon top see many doing 100 km/h there (typically driving full speed as if though they're going to Johnstown [so driving on the slip-road], and then abruptly turning right to get onto the N7!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That’s enough discussion of 60k speed limits.

Let’s get back to updates on road layout, structures etc.

Looking forward to the lanes being open by March.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 llebpmac

spacetweek wrote: »

March? Thought it was the end of April?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Huge amount of activity around Kerry building the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

Report on Newstalk a few weeks back siad it would be open by " the end of April". Cant see it opening in MArch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

llebpmac wrote: »
    March? Thought it was the end of April?

Was supposed to be March but has been moved back to Easter.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

There was night work on it last week. Traffic management is for the workers safety first and foremost. You are supposed to drive with due care with or without speed limits

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

spacetweek wrote: »

I did hear a story the 60k speed limit will remain in place in at least part of the new 3 lanes after they open as work will be ongoing on the new junctions. Anyone got confirmation of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Will ye all give over about the feckin speedlimit soap box somewhere else
    Please someone post more pics of big machinery and maps and drone footage you know infrastructural stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I did hear a story the 60k speed limit will remain in place in at least part of the new 3 lanes after they open as work will be ongoing on the new junctions. Anyone got confirmation of that?

That was confirmed in the Irish Times article posted in the last few weeks. It's not surprising though given there will be works ongoing connecting the 2 new junctions to the mainline. It didn't specify whether the 60km/h was along the whole length or just at the 2 junctions

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Another lane split south/westbound at start of works.
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/M7Naas-NewbridgeBy-PassUpgradeLaneMovements.html

Also road-closure tonight
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/M7NaasNewbridgeBypassUpgradeR445-OvernightRoadClosure.html

On Mainline site
    - various additional stretches of mainline both directions near ready for swap into new lanes.
    - lots of inner lane drainage works in progress
    - piling appears complete on Kerry Group interchange. North pier construction underway.
    - Kerry group on/off ramps coming together
    - build up of new roundabout on South of Newhall interchange in progress

On Sallins bypass:
    - piling started on North side of canal overbridge.
    - No recent activity visible from south of canal to south of Osberstown Road. The temp road is laid (but not marked) to allow Osberstown Road overbridge to be constructed.
    - no other progress obvious from public roads

Seems major focus is on the mainline for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Does anyone know what the idea is with cutting into and demolishing parts of the new concrete center also median barrier is?
    Are they re tensioning the steel wire that runs through the centeral barrier?
    Are they quality testing the concrete in certain places, and maybe sending the demolished concrete off for load testing?
    Are they correcting mistakes with the pour?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Making provision for gantries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Definitely try to take the right lane before the split happens at the start before Naas.

Took the left lane this evening, and it was a disaster compared to the guys on the right lane flying by.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

iseegirls wrote: »
    Definitely try to take the right lane before the split happens at the start before Naas.

Took the left lane this evening, and it was a disaster compared to the guys on the right lane flying by.

Yeah I had the same experience. Although when they first introduced a spilt on the northbound side it was the right lane that was way slower, then they seem to even out after a few days as people get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Making provision for gantries?

I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them break down a piece of concrete and then that part gets rebuilt. I could be wrong though, I’d love to find out what’s the story with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

May I ask about the lane opening in April. The Irish Times article and other comments suggests three lanes. Is that three lanes both ways for the full stretch?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Yes 3 lanes on each side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

toe_knee wrote: »
    Yes 3 lanes on each side

Holy crap. Feels like there is a lot of surfacing to be done to achieve that but great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

End of April opening? Hard to believe that is just under 10 weeks away!! If we get more sunny dry days like yesterday and today, maybe that could help progress it to an Easter weekend (April 19-22) opening which would be great. I've a trip to Kerry planned for that weekend and would love to avail of the improved road for that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

iseegirls wrote: »

Saw some fool this evening 100m or so into the split, leave the left lane, cross through the cones in the middle to try to merge with the right which was moving at a decent pace! No wonder there are so many accidents with drivers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

speedfreak wrote: »
    Saw some fool this evening 100m or so into the split, leave the left lane, cross through the cones in the middle to try to merge with the right which was moving at a decent pace! No wonder there are so many accidents with drivers like that.

I saw a white Merc do the exact same thing on Thursday evening...CRAZY!!!

And then people come on here and wonder why the 60KPH is the speed limit?

Mainline :
    - Kerry Group Bridge: North side shutterred. Concrete poured? South side rebar in. I was told beam install (+ removal?) expected in 3 weeks.
    - Lot of barriers being removed at Dublin end (Dublin bound) today.
    - A lot of Dublin bound drainage/landscaping seems complete
    - A lot of central barrier complete
    - Newhall interchange a lot of kerbing in for new roundabouts + on/off ramps.

Sallins Bypass:
    - temporarily realigned Osberstown Road now open. OSM updated. First two photos taken from here
    - piling continues on north side of canal

Last two photos of Mainline from Caragh Road bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Mainline :
    - Kerry Group Bridge: North side shutterred. Concrete poured? South side rebar in. I was told beam install (+ removal?) expected in 3 weeks.
    - Lot of barriers being removed at Dublin end (Dublin bound) today.
    - A lot of Dublin bound drainage/landscaping seems complete
    - A lot of central barrier complete
    - Newhall interchange a lot of kerbing in for new roundabouts + on/off ramps.

Sallins Bypass:
    - temporarily realigned Osberstown Road now open. OSM updated. First two photos taken from here
    - piling continues on north side of canal

Last two photos of Mainline from Caragh Road bridge.

Interesting photos. I especially found the 3rd one interesting on 2 counts:

1) I never realised that there would be that much space between the 2 centre walls &

2) Look ahead & see the Dublin Coach in the outside lane. Yes, he has a right to be there, but I wonder just what speed he/she is doing. I have given up on counting the number of coaches that pass me every evening...not only DC I might add, The blue coaches and BE also...all guilty of speeding.

I also thought the Pic 4 merge from two centreline barriers to one and back out to two a bit curious. Contraflow capability? (I thought that is discouraged now) Maybe some centreline drainage infrastructure located there? Or maybe just facility for construction access. Guess we will find out more if/when they fill in the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1) I never realised that there would be that much space between the 2 centre walls &

It's even wider on the M1 3 lane section.

About the only thing Irish road planners did right 40 years a go was make extra wide medians.

They don't do that anymore because who needs forward planning?

Advertisement