Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Still waiting for proof to justify Your statement that the works are on schedule!

Well you'll be waiting, it's based on information overheard being involved in the industry.

And I don't have to justify anything to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Well you'll be waiting, it's based on information overheard being involved in the industry.

And I don't have to justify anything to you.

So you come on here and give out about people complaining & then say the work is on schedule, but when asked, You refuse to furnish proof to back up Your statement?

So, let me ask You one more question: When is the finishing date? I for one , who uses the road every day, would love to know when this will be over.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So you come on here and give out about people complaining & then say the work is on schedule, but when asked, You refuse to furnish proof to back up Your statement?

So, let me ask You one more question: When is the finishing date? I for one , who uses the road every day, would love to know when this will be over.

MOD:

Kevwoody is a regular poster here and has furnished information plenty of times in the past and posted quite a bit of information that's been useful to the forum.

Given his track record, if he posts something in good faith that he heard, he is under no obligation to provide proof. There are similar posters who do the same both on this board and other boards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Please do not engage in back seat modding - it is not appreciated.

McCrack post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

What sort of time will it take to erect the bridge over the m7 for the new junction at Kerry group? Any idea when it'll be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Cazale wrote: »
    What sort of time will it take to erect the bridge over the m7 for the new junction at Kerry group? Any idea when it'll be done?

A site worker mentioned goal was about three weeks time ...and that was about three weeks ago. I got the impression it would be overnight(s) over weekend. That would for standard beams. I guess Would take a few weeks to finish the bridge. Demolition of existing bridge required at some stage also.

A site worker mentioned goal was about three weeks time ...and that was about three weeks ago. I got the impression it would be overnight(s) over weekend. That would for standard beams. I guess Would take a few weeks to finish the bridge. Demolition of existing bridge required at some stage also.

I'm no expert, but would imagine that the M7 will have to be closed to erect the bridge. Am not sure though if the erection can be done on one side first, with the other side left open to traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Possibly next weekend, it being a bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

hope they manage to finish by the end of April but personally (uneducated), I find this difficult. I posted a few photos from the past 3 weeks (was there today but my phone died) and from the Sallins bridge there seems to be no progress whatsoever. Haven't been on the M7 for a few weeks so not sure if Naas south-Naas North junctions were deprioritised as other major work is done but, to me the official finishing date of end of April seems very unrealistic. I'd be very happy if proven wrong in this instance

regedit wrote: »
    hope they manage to finish by the end of April but personally (uneducated), I find this difficult. I posted a few photos from the past 3 weeks (was there today but my phone died) and from the Sallins bridge there seems to be no progress whatsoever. Haven't been on the M7 for a few weeks so not sure if Naas south-Naas North junctions were deprioritised as other major work is done but, to me the official finishing date of end of April seems very unrealistic. I'd be very happy if proven wrong in this instance

I also notice that there isn't much happening at that section. I did notice last week, there was a lot of work in darkness around adjacent to Tesco where they were trying to lay gravel on the grass verge. Not a soul there on Friday night though.

Can I ( for one ) thank You for those photos Regedit. Those who don't use that stretch of road every day have no idea what we have to go through - though I will say since they introduced the 60kph, that it does flow better.

• Advertisement

I know we were asked to refrain from talking about speeding on this stretch, but I just came across the following. Am uploading the link so nobody has any excuse if and when they are caught:

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/50-motorists-caught-speeding-m7-roadworks-one-day-last-week/270602

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

On one day. I've been passed by 50 vehicles speeding (with me pottering along at 60kmh) on one drive through the roadworks.

Whilst the speed vans have made it better, average speed cameras should have been installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I know we were asked to refrain from talking about speeding on this stretch, but I just came across the following. Am uploading the link so nobody has any excuse if and when they are caught:

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/50-motorists-caught-speeding-m7-roadworks-one-day-last-week/270602

You'd want to be asleep to be caught. 50 odd motorists is a tiny %.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

There has been a lane split overnight with inadequate signage.

They have split the lanes northbound after J11 (M9/M8 Merge) and if you stay right you CANNOT EXIT at Junction 10 (Naas South) and will have to proceed to the ball (J9) if you need to leave the motorway for Naas South/Newbridge North.

Lots of people caught out as they made this change overnight and there is no signage in place to advise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

BuzzFish wrote: »
    There has been a lane split overnight with inadequate signage.

They have split the lanes northbound after J11 (M9/M8 Merge) and if you stay right you CANNOT EXIT at Junction 10 (Naas South) and will have to proceed to the ball (J9).

Lots of people caught out as they made this changes overnight and there is no signage.

Lots of people who jump into the left lane at the last minute got caught out. The split is about 700m from the junction, so they should already be in the left lane. In additional, there are numerous signs including the overhead gantries detailing the change.

Lots of people who jump into the left lane at the last minute got caught out. The split is about 700m from the junction, so they should already be in the left lane. In additional, there are numerous signs including the overhead gantries detailing the change.

I don't drive the route in the morning so I'll take your word for it re. signage but a straw poll in the office suggests about half or more folks who travel up that way to get here (8-10) missed the junction and ended up at the ball.

Clearly something is not working out there with this change today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Passed through it this morning and there's plenty of advance signage - both physical signs and the digital displays - warning of the lane split.

I'd say it's more down to people not paying attention than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭prunudo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Passed through it this morning and there's plenty of advance signage - both physical signs and the digital displays - warning of the lane split.

Probably the same people who are armchair road workers and pass through every day thinking no work is being done and can't understand why its taking so long.

I'd say it's more down to people not paying attention looking for gasps in other lanes than anything else

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hondar

Anyone know what is going on at Halverstown cross here? Field levelled. Maybe nothing to do with upgrade...maybe some sort of temp work site

its a new waste water pipeline to connect Newbridge to the Osberstown Wastewater Treatment Plant. 10km of pipeline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The least likely motorists to pay attention to signs are those who drive a route frequently/daily (apart from those that post in this forum!!). They're the last to migrate over to using newly introduced free flowing exits on motorways if they've always gone a certain more cumbersome way that still exists no matter how many advance signs.

The Cavan/M3 free flow exit on the M50 southbound springs to mind - I had to tell a couple of my friends months after it's introduction to use it. They were regular commuters of the route but were still using the signal controlled Castleknock bound roundabout to get to the M3 long after the Cavan free flow exit was introduced.

....creatures of habit....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eoghanj

Have to agree. i came though this morning around 9.00am and signage was very clear from a long way back.

Passed through at 11pm last night. Signage is pretty good so must just be ppl on autopilot.

There was a huge amount of work going on in the wind and rain at 11pm. Down to one lane and plenty of trucks, machinery and workers out along the carriageway. It's a tough job at times for the crews.

With the pace of finishing works going on, I can't see any reason why this won't open around Easter. I see the partition wall on the southbound carriageway has started past jct 10 and the northbound partition looks like it will be completed in the next few days. Maybe we can have an opening date guessing game :) I'll say Thursday 25th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

With the pace of finishing works going on, I can't see any reason why this won't open around Easter. I see the partition wall on the southbound carriageway has started past jct 10 and the northbound partition looks like it will be completed in the next few days. Maybe we can have an opening date guessing game :) I'll say Thursday 25th April.

Will lanes be opened in stages as completion date approaches I wonder?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are there any funny lane closures or movements planned for the morning of Saturday 16th before 08:00? I am driving to Dublin airport and just wondering if I need to allow time for any road works etc

You'd just be going straight eventually taking the M50 north as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hero001

It is a long site, and it appears that there is a lot of focus on area between Jct 10 and Jct 11 and the new junctions at present, so progress looks slow around Jct 9 for that reason.

hero001 wrote: »
    It is a long site, and it appears that there is a lot of focus on area between Jct 10 and Jct 11 and the new junctions at present, so progress looks slow around Jct 9 for that reason.

Jct 9-10 is all but finished. Aside from laying the utility pipes on the soft verge
    it looks like it just needs the couple of inches of the old lanes scraped up and a new top layer put down on those lanes. That's not a big job in the overall scheme of things, so good to see concentration on finishing the barriers btw jct 10 & 11 and hopefully the new jct 10 will open too - at least northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Haven’t traveled the m7 in a few weeks but using it this week for a few days , it seems to me anyway that a lot of progress has been made in a short space of time.
    Also noticed today that the speeding has increased again with a lot of cars and even lorries traveling way to fast. Very close call today with a tar lorry pulling out of the site and some muppet in a van doing about 90 ...
    Very few locations for the speed vans now to park up ...saw two today both at start and end of the road works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

harr wrote: »
    Haven’t traveled the m7 in a few weeks but using it this week for a few days , it seems to me anyway that a lot of progress has been made in a short space of time.
    Also noticed today that the speeding has increased again with a lot of cars and even lorries traveling way to fast. Very close call today with a tar lorry pulling out of the site and some muppet in a van doing about 90 ...
    Very few locations for the speed vans now to park up ...saw two today both at start and end of the road works.

There will always be speeders, pre speed vans though it was like a go cart track.

End is in sight.

Advertisement