Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Update shared in work this morning (Kerry Group):

Works are still ongoing also on the M7 and the good news is that the widening of the road to three lanes is due to complete next month, the interchange to Millennium Park is due to complete in May and the Sallins link road is due to complete in September 2019.

This is great news to me as if the junction is complete in May there will be no reason to hold the speed limit past May (big assumption here is that J10 is also on the same timeframe).

I had always thought the J9a opening would be tied to the Sallins bypass but obviously I was wrong... which is great

.....also worth noting is that there will be a (smallish) services at J9A also, although it is on the the opposite side of Kerry Group on the same side, being constructed currently:

You probably have seen on coming into the Global Centre that construction is underway next to Volvo at the employee entrance, we can confirm that the building will be an Apple Green service station complete with catering options [due to open in July].

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Update shared in work this morning (Kerry Group):

Works are still ongoing also on the M7 and the good news is that the widening of the road to three lanes is due to complete next month, the interchange to Millennium Park is due to complete in May and the Sallins link road is due to complete in September 2019.

This is great news to me as if the junction is complete in May there will be no reason to hold the speed limit past May (big assumption here is that J10 is also on the same timeframe).

I had always thought the J9a opening would be tied to the Sallins bypass but obviously I was wrong... which is great

.....also worth noting is that there will be a (smallish) services at J9A also, although it is on the the opposite side of Kerry Group on the same side, being constructed currently:

You probably have seen on coming into the Global Centre that construction is underway next to Volvo at the employee entrance, we can confirm that the building will be an Apple Green service station complete with catering options [due to open in July].

I’d say this will really kick start investment in Millennium now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Soo.. we've gone from March, to April, to May now??

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Soo.. we've gone from March, to April, to May now??

Not in how I've ever understood this. Its been said multiple times on this thread that:

3 lanes by Easter weekend (21st April)
    Rest of Project by end of year.

I don't see this update as "March to April to May".

I see March to April which has been known for a long time but with the added "bonus" that the j9a interchange will open ahead of the sallins bypass and not wait for its completion.

All I see is positive news here. What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Not in how I've ever understood this. Its been said multiple times on this thread that:

3 lanes by Easter weekend (21st April)
    Rest of Project by end of year.

I don't see this update as "March to April to May".

I see March to April which has been known for a long time but with the added "bonus" that the j9a interchange will open ahead of the sallins bypass and not wait for its completion.

All I see is positive news here. What am I missing?

You posted today and said the 3 lanes be opened at the end of next month which is May.

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    You posted today and said the 3 lanes be opened at the end of next month which is May.

Maybe you are right but they fact they used "next month" and "May" separately lead me to think that maybe they sent us out information they received last week (we only get newsletter once a week) at the end of March. Either way.... it's almost over the line!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

More lane changes next week

Tuesday 6am
    Subject to favourable weather conditions, the next section of M7 eastbound mainline traffic will commence movement onto the new carriageway surface, adjacent to the new central median, from 06.00am on Tuesday morning 09 April 2019.

The first stage will involve splitting the traffic lanes on the eastbound M7 carriageway after Junction 11 (M9/M7 Eastbound merge), for approx. 2.5km with traffic rejoining well in advance of Junction 10 (Naas South).

Wednesday 6am
    Subject to completion of all necessary activities and favourable weather conditions, the next stage for the movement of M7 westbound mainline traffic onto the new carriageway surface, adjacent to the new central median, will be in place from 06.00am on Wednesday morning 10 April 2019.

The current westbound split on approach to Junction 10 (Naas South), for approx. 2.5km through the interchange to after Junction 10 (Naas South) on-slip, will be removed. Traffic will then run in two lanes adjacent to the new central concrete barrier

This arrangement will facilitate ongoing works to the new Lane 1/hard shoulder/verge areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Saw these reports on the Kildare Now website.

Hard to see the project finish in time for Easter though, bearing in mind the builders holidays are from Holy Thursday to Monday 29 April, and the following Monday is also another BH:

https://constructionnews.ie/builders-holidays-2018-ireland/

Good sign of progress all the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Bridge beam installation imminent...crane setup for Liffey bridge at Clane end of Sallins Bypass. I guess will take a couple of days. While they have the crane in the area, next stop Kerry? Still some formwork visible on South pier of the Liffey bridge in middle of Sallins bypass, so may not deck that for a while yet.

Canal bridge piers nearly complete North side. Still not above ground South side.

Getting jn 9a open will be a big release for rush hour traffic on Naas Monread and Millenium roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Did a trip last on from Laois to Dublin last Sunday and again today, can't help but notice now that a lot of traffic has reverted to form and not keeping to 60Km/h compared to say last January. An artic from anpost even passed me! No sign of any gatso vans (northbound or southbound today) either. Looks almost complete at this point, the middle lane southbound needs a layer of tarmac, not sure if they are going to resurface the leftmost lane?

• Advertisement

Bridge beam installation imminent...crane setup for Liffey bridge at Clane end of Sallins Bypass. I guess will take a couple of days. While they have the crane in the area, next stop Kerry? Still some formwork visible on South pier of the Liffey bridge in middle of Sallins bypass, so may not deck that for a while yet.

Canal bridge piers nearly complete North side. Still not above ground South side.

Getting jn 9a open will be a big release for rush hour traffic on Naas Monread and Millenium roads.

Would like to take this opportunity of thanking both You JM & Regedit for the video & photo uploads. I for one really appreciate Your efforts.

Darwin wrote: »
    Did a trip last on from Laois to Dublin last Sunday and again today, can't help but notice now that a lot of traffic has reverted to form and not keeping to 60Km/h compared to say last January. An artic from anpost even passed me! No sign of any gatso vans (northbound or southbound today) either. Looks almost complete at this point, the middle lane southbound needs a layer of tarmac, not sure if they are going to resurface the leftmost lane?

I cannot comment from J10 onwards SB but up to there, I don't think it is possible now for the gatso's to catch anyone speeding - the partitioning fences used are ( I think ) hiding the registration plates from the camera's view. I could be wrong mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Darwin wrote: »

60 is too slow, limit should be 80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

McCrack wrote: »

At this stage everyone is getting fed up with the delays and lack of serious progress. One of the most important (if not the most important) roads in the country has been at a go-slow for nearly 2 years. People who have no choice but to use that road every day for work have lost weeks if not months of their lives thanks to the delays. It should have been finished long ago with 24/7 working patterns. It was argued that was too expensive but in reality the delays are probably more expensive.

At this stage a lot of motorists feel like going on a speed strike (ie ignoring the 60kmph limit) because of the delays in completion. If everyone driving on that road broke the speed limit it would be very difficult to catch and fine all offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Emme wrote: »
    McCrack wrote: »

At this stage everyone is getting fed up with the delays and lack of serious progress. One of the most important (if not the most important) roads in the country has been at a go-slow for nearly 2 years. People who have no choice but to use that road every day for work have lost weeks if not months of their lives thanks to the delays. It should have been finished long ago with 24/7 working patterns. It was argued that was too expensive but in reality the delays are probably more expensive.

At this stage a lot of motorists feel like going on a speed strike (ie ignoring the 60kmph limit) because of the delays in completion. If everyone driving on that road broke the speed limit it would be very difficult to catch and fine all offenders.

Not if the gatso cameras were working..

Not if the gatso cameras were working..
    The gatso cameras catch some speeders but they never seem to catch the trucks that intimidate drivers sticking to the 60kmph speed limit. If I have to drive to Dublin I go the back roads and rat runs where possible - Kilcullen, Naas, Johnstown and then the N7. It might take slightly longer at times but it's safer. I spend less time getting tailgated by trucks when I try to stick to the 60kmph speed limit while a truck in the other lane veers dangerously close with its wheels on the white line while overtaking.

Those who have no choice but to take the motorway are getting fed up and impatient and some are taking risks. My speed strike comment was tongue in cheek but I still think it is disgraceful that the upgrade has taken so long when it needn't have. Only in Ireland would we put up with this, I bet the Germans, Austrians or Poles wouldn't tolerate the inefficiency and the Italians wouldn't tolerate the delays.

Some Pics from the canal crossing. Was very surprised at the amount of work left to do here...
    Piles are only present on the Sallins/Clane side as yet.

477312.jpg

477313.jpg

477314.jpg

477315.jpg

Nearly 2 years???? This was the update from Jan 2018 (15 months ago.....).
    I think a huge amount has been completed in just 15 months considering the requirement to keep 2 lanes open at peak times each day plus an emergency lane had to be maintained for blue light vehicles.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171217012317/http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Commencing January 6th 2018, Works on the M7 mainline, between Junction 8 and Junction 10 will commence in the median. To accommodate these Works, the following traffic restrictions will be put in place.

• Speed restricted to 60kph thru the Work Site, which will be monitored by An Garda Siochana.
    • 2 lanes of traffic will be maintained in both directions during daytime hours.
    • Traffic will be moved onto the existing Hard shoulder and the current Lane 1. Please see typical cross section diagram below.
    • Traffic lane widths will be restricted to 3m and 3.25m in width.
    • There will be no lay-bys or areas within the Work zones for stopping.

I think a huge amount has been completed in just 15 months considering the requirement to keep 2 lanes open at peak times each day plus an emergency lane had to be maintained for blue light vehicles.

I think that poster was including the time spent on hard shoulder strengthening which was part of the prep works, but not part of the main contract.

I'm with you on the speed of works and it has not been delayed. I drove through it this morning and can't see any reason why it can't be open around Easter and even three lanes + hard shoulder most of the route with speed restrictions while the continue verge works would be great.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171217012317/http://www.m7upgrade.com/

Commencing January 6th 2018, Works on the M7 mainline, between Junction 8 and Junction 10 will commence in the median. To accommodate these Works, the following traffic restrictions will be put in place.

• Speed restricted to 60kph thru the Work Site, which will be monitored by An Garda Siochana.
    • 2 lanes of traffic will be maintained in both directions during daytime hours.
    • Traffic will be moved onto the existing Hard shoulder and the current Lane 1. Please see typical cross section diagram below.
    • Traffic lane widths will be restricted to 3m and 3.25m in width.
    • There will be no lay-bys or areas within the Work zones for stopping.

People have been cheerleading the "progress" throughout this thread but in my opinion and in the opinions of many others who have had to drive on the road over the last two years the lack of progress is indefensible. In any other civilised country the job would have been finished long ago. All hands should have been on deck 24/7 to get this job done but the contractors seem to be dragging the job out as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

People have been cheerleading the "progress" throughout this thread but in my opinion and in the opinions of many others who have had to drive on the road over the last two years the lack of progress is indefensible. In any other civilised country the job would have been finished long ago. All hands should have been on deck 24/7 to get this job done but the contractors seem to be dragging the job out as long as possible.

Most people on this thread have no understanding of civil engineering, and if someone with no qualifications or understanding came in to my job and told me I wasn't working hard enough I know what my response would be.

All well and good saying people should work 24/7 to get the job done, but people who say that have no idea what that entails. Would they work night shifts if their employer wanted to meet a deadline?:rolleyes:

MaceFace wrote: »
    Most people on this thread have no understanding of civil engineering, and if someone with no qualifications or understanding came in to my job and told me I wasn't working hard enough I know what my response would be.

I am not a civil engineer in Ireland so fair enough, I have no understanding how they work and plan projects. However I suspect that civil engineers in other places may have planned the project differently.
    MaceFace wrote: »
    All well and good saying people should work 24/7 to get the job done, but people who say that have no idea what that entails. Would they work night shifts if their employer wanted to meet a deadline?:rolleyes:

The 24/7 shifts would have been built into the job from the start to optimise progress.

Why can't whoever planned the project put their hands up and say "yes, progress has been slow, yes, we could have done it somewhat faster but this Ireland and that's how it goes."

The 24/7 shifts would have been built into the job from the start to optimise progress.

"

I would suspect there'd be very serious health and safety issues with 24/7 works like this. Fair enough tarmac laying where machines are moving in a fixed direction (and most tarmac laying is done at night anyway), but drainage and pipe work with machines moving in every direction?
    And on top of that, the site is about 15km in length. Why pay for nightime works (they are extremely expensive) when there is plenty of ground to work on during regular hours?

Just drove from Citywest to Monasterevin. Plenty of work going on and very much looking near to completion

vincedh wrote: »
    Just drove from Citywest to Monasterevin.

How long did that take you?
    vincedh wrote: »
    Plenty of work going on and very much looking near to completion

I for one won't consider it complete until I see it complete. We've been told it's near to completion since late February.

I have to agree with Emme here!

As I travel the road in peak times daily, I actually go the back roads now as the traffic is painful! My only gripe is when they widen the Naas road to 3 lanes they flew it! wonder if it had anything to do with the Ryder cup being here but that was 3 lanes 9 junctions long. This is only 2 junctions long! I understand they are adding more junctions but I'm just talking about widing the lanes.. The added junctions are a different ball game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

benny79 wrote: »
    I have to agree with Emme here!

As I travel the road in peak times daily, I actually go the back roads now as the traffic is painful! My only gripe is when they widen the Naas road to 3 lanes they flew it! wonder if it had anything to do with the Ryder cup being here but that was 3 lanes 9 junctions long. This is only 2 junctions long! I understand they are adding more junctions but I'm just talking about widing the lanes.. The added junctions are a different ball game.

The Naas road widening took 20 months. Jan 2005 - Aug 2006. As Buzzfish posted above, this is currently just 15 months in. You remember incorrectly.

The Naas road widening took 20 months. Jan 2005 - Aug 2006. As Buzzfish posted above, this is currently just 15 months in. You remember incorrectly.
    Benny79 you can't win here. There are vested interests on this thread who shoot down anyone who complains about problems with the M7 works. Go back through the thread to the beginning and you will see.

I wasn't driving as much at the time of the Naas road widening but I would have been on the road most weekends. I remember some inconvenience but not nearly as much inconvenience as on the M7 for the last 2 years (ok 15 months). I don't remember having to crawl at 60kmph (or 40mph) all the time either. I think the speed limit was 50mph which would be around 80kmph. I can't comment on how long it took but the disturbance on the M7 feels a lot longer than 15 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Emme wrote:
    Benny79 you can't win here. There are vested interests on this thread who shoot down anyone who complains about problems with the M7 works. Go back through the thread to the beginning and you will see.

No vested interests here, just some people have a little more civil engineering knowledge and general cop on than others.

20 months for wideninng of lanes 9 junctions long of motorway or 15 months for the widening of 2 juctions long of motorway do the maths.

• Advertisement

How long did that take you?

I for one won't consider it complete until I see it complete. We've been told it's near to completion since late February.

It took about 45 minutes with no delays as I was against the flow.

Only date I ever heard from any verifiable news reports was end of April with October total completion of all aspects including Sallins bypass (which will make my infrequent journeys to Maynooth much easier).

Original total completion date was January 2020.

Advertisement