Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any photos of the beam lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

So much for March.............

Seems like the experts weren't so expert after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I heard on Nova today that some bloke named Morrissey ( I think He said He's from KCC ) was interviewed

"So, Morrissey.. How soon is now?"

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Cazale wrote: »
    Seems like the experts weren't so expert after all.

The only 'experts' I recall were the ones who thought they knew how to do the project better than the current engineers.
    Delays happen but nobody will welcome this. Remember a stopped clock is right twice a day.

jvan wrote:
    Remember a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Which is twice more than those in charge have been when announcing completion dates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Cazale wrote: »
    Which is twice more than those in charge have been when announcing completion dates.

Estimated completion dates. Lads and lassies, I’m reminded of donkey in Shrek when I read this thread.

It’ll be finished when it’s finished. Now I can hang my hat on that fact. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

HonalD wrote: »
    Estimated completion dates. Lads and lassies, I’m reminded of donkey in Shrek when I read this thread.

It’ll be finished when it’s finished. Now I can hang my hat on that fact. :)

Yes, estimated is the important word here. But we had people on here who proclaimed they knew everything ( and knew SFA as is being proved now) and the project would be finished in March. Go to pages 101/102 on this thread and there is even one person contradicting another Listee who was told the project was 10 weeks behind schedule...by someone working on the project.

I have to 'grin and bear' this daily trek but I also feel for the Folk who live in Kill & Johnstown and have unwanted traffic constantly streaming through their beautiful vilages because of drivers ( me included) trying to avoid crazy queues on a 6 laned highway. And now they discover their village/s will have this bumper to bumper stream for another month at least ( remember from Next Thursday the builders are on holidays until the following Monday week....& another BH a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

This thread is about the M7 & not about who is the smartest or who has a monopoly on wisdom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This thread is about the M7 & not about who is the smartest or who has a monopoly on wisdom.

Mod: Exactly.

Can we leave the finish date for the time being. It s no help at bringing forward the date.

The bridge works are completed and both directions of the M7 are reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mod: Exactly.

Can we leave the finish date for the time being. It s no help at bringing forward the date.

OK I have to ask this, and it's for clarification for all more than anything.

If we can't discuss completion dates, the speed limits, the frustration causes by the continuing delays and so on what exactly IS this thread for?

"oh they painted some new lines overnight? Moved a lane into the new strip?" - might as well call it the traffic watch thread.

I thought this thread was for discussing the project - including all the side issues and knock on effects it's having for the road, surrounding areas, and those stuck with dealing with it every day for the last 18 months or whatever.

Be good to get some actual answers rather than the usual back on topic chiding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

If we can't discuss completion dates, the speed limits, the frustration causes by the continuing delays and so on what exactly IS this thread for?

"oh they painted some new lines overnight? Moved a lane into the new strip?" - might as well call it the traffic watch thread.

I thought this thread was for discussing the project - including all the side issues and knock on effects it's having for the road, surrounding areas, and those stuck with dealing with it every day for the last 18 months or whatever.

By the way, use the PM or report function if you have problems with a mod post.

Mod: You can discuss what you want, but it gets tedious when the discussion descends to the level of one poster calling out another poster.

All that was asked was to give the completion date a rest as there is no new information. It is nearing completion, and it is in the final clear up in some areas. It will not be a sudden completion as the Sallins part will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Have they not to skim off the old tarmac on the old lanes to the left side and relay new tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Been looking for photos of the bridge. Can only find this:

https://media.rivermedia.ie/uploads/2019/04/14092647/IMG_9039.jpg

Gives a good idea anyhow of what was done. And from appearance, this bridge must be a LOT wider than the one it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Motorway misery on M7 to continue into summer, says council chief

Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) said in January that the three lanes of the route would be operational in both directions by April 2019.

But in a latest update, Niall Morrissey, director of services with Kildare County Council, said it was more likely the works would continue to July.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/motorway-misery-on-m7-to-continue-into-summer-says-council-chief-1.3860789

“Nothing in particular” had happened over the last number of months to delay the most recently projected completion date, he said, adding there should be “fantastic progress” over the coming weeks.

Just remember, none of us are experts and we don't have the credentials to comment on or question anything to do with the conduct of or progress of this project. The experts know what they're doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very disappointing news but I'm not surprised. Hopefully we'll have different sections opening earlier.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Very disappointing news but I'm not surprised. Hopefully we'll have different sections opening earlier.

It’s blatantly obvious to anyone passing it how slow “progress” has been. Despite the PR spin from various quarters, this project has been dreadful considering the traffic volume and critical nature of the route. People are rightly very annoyed.
    April me arse- which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

KOR101 wrote: »
    Motorway misery on M7 to continue into summer, says council chief

Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) said in January that the three lanes of the route would be operational in both directions by April 2019.

But in a latest update, Niall Morrissey, director of services with Kildare County Council, said it was more likely the works would continue to July.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/motorway-misery-on-m7-to-continue-into-summer-says-council-chief-1.3860789

What I find bizarre is the Irish Times uses a file photo from what looks like a road in America being constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Just remember, none of us are experts and we don't have the credentials to comment on or question anything to do with the conduct of or progress of this project. The experts know what they're doing!

Would that be the experts who regularly defend the project on this thread? :D
    road_high wrote: »
    It’s blatantly obvious to anyone passing it how slow “progress” has been. Despite the PR spin from various quarters, this project has been dreadful considering the traffic volume and critical nature of the route. People are rightly very annoyed.
    April me arse- which one?

I think April 1st 2020 would be a more realistic date seeing as it didn't open on April 1st 2019 like they suggested it would :p
    What I find bizarre is the Irish Times uses a file photo from what looks like a road in America being constructed.

Does that justify the tardiness of the project?

It was only a matter of time before the boffins on this thread found something to hit the Irish Times with. The Irish Times are only reporting what several people on this thread have been saying for months and getting shot down for it.

It's harder to argue with a national newspaper for stating the obvious than to shoot down posters on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So now we're out to July-ish... Fully expect that to slip to the August Bank Holiday at this stage what with summer holidays and all.

I've been driving through this mess twice a day since it started, and it was very obvious even 2 months ago that it was nowhere near being finished. People aren't blind - they can see the changes (or lack thereof) from week to week as they crawl through it.

The most ridiculous part of this lately is how the date is getting pushed further out each time, without any apparent backlash from local or even national TDs - the usual "ah shure it'll be grand!" approach that infests every project in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

So now we're out to July-ish... Fully expect that to slip to the August Bank Holiday at this stage what with summer holidays and all.

I've been driving through this mess twice a day since it started, and it was very obvious even 2 months ago that it was nowhere near being finished. People aren't blind - they can see the changes (or lack thereof) from week to week as they crawl through it.

The most ridiculous part of this lately is how the date is getting pushed further out each time, without any apparent backlash from local or even national TDs - the usual "ah shure it'll be grand!" approach that infests every project in this country.

I'll not wade in regarding when it will be done and how close to being done it is, but I'll just weigh in that the top layers, often the most highly visible sign of progress, can usually be done in very short order, so it could easily go from 'God will this ever end' to 'Wait.. they're done?' in very short order. Not saying its at, or nearing that stage, but progress can sometimes look agonisingly slow until some critical point, at which point the 'finishing' gets everything completed very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

When will it really be ready? July is another lie? Will it be done by the end of the year? I'm generally a patient person and I didn't mind having to wait for this to be finished. Stupidly, I believed the March/April finish schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

When will it really be ready? July is another lie? Will it be done by the end of the year? I'm generally a patient person and I didn't mind having to wait for this to be finished. Stupidly, I believed the March/April finish schedule.

I certainly wouldn't be putting money on a July finish.

Do we know what the penalties are for late completion, or are there none. I'm guessing the latter actually being enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I passed it on the bus a few weeks so I got a good scan of what it’s like and it appeared to me a lot of the additional lanes and barrier still had to be installed, not to mention tying it in and integrating it with the existing lanes. There was no way it was going to be done by April so the persistent lies to the contrary were pointless. At the rate they have been working it just isn’t possible.

I certainly wouldn't be putting money on a July finish.

Do we know what the penalties are for late completion, or are there none. I'm guessing the latter actually being enforceable.

I could be wrong, but I think the April timeline was actually brought forward so it might not technically be a delay. Just they were over ambitious saying they'd have it open earlier than scheduled in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jvan wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I think the April timeline was actually brought forward so it might not technically be a delay. Just they were over ambitious saying they'd have it open earlier than scheduled in April.

The original date was March which got pushed to April at Christmas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

rameire wrote: »
    News on RTE and kfmradio saying M7 contracts have been signed.

Contracts signed with SIAC/Colas JV.

construction to start nearly straight Away.

Total project to be completed by Early 2020.
    3 lanes from jn9 to jn11 NB and SB to be completed in Autumn 2019.

This post was dated the 21 September 2017. So we're only 19 months into the project since contracts signed.

And from 21 December 2017
    rameire wrote: »
    There is a website that is live and has information.

the first update is basically.
    median work to start, all traffic moved to hard shoulder and lane 1.
    Speed Reduced to 60kph
    Work to begin Jan 6th.

http://www.m7upgrade.com/

And actual widening works didn't start till Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/motorists-face-more-m7-misery-with-roadworks-to-last-until-july-38019534.html

According to the article the stretch between J8 and J10 will open at some point next month

Advertisement