Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

In last week or two it looks to me like: Northern Liffey bridge: 14 beams installed. Southern Liffey bridge: pier formwork removed. Canal bridge: North side columns only completed. (South side no columns yet). Osbertstown bridge: 3 columns on one side started. Kerry bridge: beams but no decking yet it seems. New jn 10: Naas/Newbridge Road now diverted onto parts of the new roundabout on North side of motorway to allow centre of roundabout to be constructed. Mainline: verges being progressed including new drainage kerbing installed in sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Had a few mins spare at lunch to took a spin from J10 to J9. Multiple crews at work, busier than I've seen in a while. No builders holidays this week it seems. Looks like the pressure is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Heading down through the works on Friday and back up Sunday. Any road closures announced for this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    Heading down through the works on Friday and back up Sunday. Any road closures announced for this weekend?

Haven't seen anything in the local papers, so I don't think You have any closures to worry about.

Safe travelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Drove the M7 yesterday for the first time in a while, Siac have no shortage of men and plant but my god from what i seen it will be hard to have it ready for the end of the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

MaceFace wrote: »
    How long is the section going to be? 100 metres would be pushing it the way they're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Link

The lead contractor on the M7 widening works believes three lanes will be opened to traffic between Kill and the M9 merge by the end of June - just over 9 weeks away.

This deadline is broadly similar - if not earlier - than the July date given by Kildare Co Council last week.

An end-of-April date had been provided in January but the Council insisted this was only an estimate.

The latest information was given to Kildare South TD Martin Heydon who said he has been receiving queries from 'frustrated constituents' on the issue.

The TD also said that villages and towns such as Two Mile House, Brannockstown and Kilcullen were being hit by heavier traffic as commuters avoiding the M7 are using them as 'rat-runs'.

The contractor also said the three lanes between Kill and Naas South will be open by the end of May.

Fine Gael chairman Heydon said:

“Following a number of queries from frustrated commuting constituents I have been applying pressure to Transport Infrastructure Ireland, Minister Ross and Kildare County Council to receive clarity on the proposed completion timelines.

“SIAC Colas JV, the lead contractor have now indicated that they are targeting the May Bank Holiday weekend for the completion of 2 new lanes between Junction 9 Naas North and Junction 11 M9 / M7.

“They have also indicated that they are confident that the 3 lanes from Junction 8 (Kill) and 10 (Naas South) will be opened by the end of May 2019 .

"The remaining section of verge works from Junction 10 (Naas South) to Junction 11 M9 / M7 merge is to be completed by the end of June."

Mr Heydon added:

“We all look forward to these works being completed, particularly those living in the vicinity of the works where there has been a very significant impact on local roads network with increased traffic through our towns and villages like Two Mile House, Brannockstown and Kilcullen and M7 commuters ”

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Link

The latest information was given to Kildare South TD Martin Heydon who said he has been receiving queries from 'frustrated constituents' on the issue.

The TD also said that villages and towns such as Two Mile House, Brannockstown and Kilcullen were being hit by heavier traffic as commuters avoiding the M7 are using them as 'rat-runs'.

The contractor also said the three lanes between Kill and Naas South will be open by the end of May.

Fine Gael chairman Heydon said:

“Following a number of queries from frustrated commuting constituents I have been applying pressure to Transport Infrastructure Ireland, Minister Ross and Kildare County Council to receive clarity on the proposed completion timelines.

“SIAC Colas JV, the lead contractor have now indicated that they are targeting the May Bank Holiday weekend for the completion of 2 new lanes between Junction 9 Naas North and Junction 11 M9 / M7.

“They have also indicated that they are confident that the 3 lanes from Junction 8 (Kill) and 10 (Naas South) will be opened by the end of May 2019 .

"The remaining section of verge works from Junction 10 (Naas South) to Junction 11 M9 / M7 merge is to be completed by the end of June."

Mr Heydon added:

“We all look forward to these works being completed, particularly those living in the vicinity of the works where there has been a very significant impact on local roads network with increased traffic through our towns and villages like Two Mile House, Brannockstown and Kilcullen and M7 commuters ”

Now why do I think Heyden is only opening his mouth with elections coming up. Never saw anything constructive from him until now. What does he know that the Council chief doesnt? ( see post 2446).

SOMEONE is bullshi**ing us - who? Meantime we have to suffer the consequences.

Edit: Just read the link where this is posted. Am no better off with regard toknowing when the 3 lanes will be open and 120kph from J8 to J11: May BH, End of May, End of June July.

Marton Heydon is the epitome of parish pump politics. He's anonymous on bigger issues until it's far too late and he has nothing to lose by supporting/opposing it, but he'll be around at every funeral, every local event, mass etc making sure he's seen.

It's done him well and I'm sure he'll end up as a junior minister or some such soon enough.

• Advertisement

Marton Heydon is the epitome of parish pump politics. He's anonymous on bigger issues until it's far too late and he has nothing to lose by supporting/opposing it, but he'll be around at every funeral, every local event, mass etc making sure he's seen.

It's done him well and I'm sure he'll end up as a junior minister or some such soon enough.

And here was me wondering how he can mention Twomilehouse/Brannockstown, and not include (probably) the 2 communities most affected by this project - Kill & Johnstown. Of course, both Kill & Johnstown are not in his constituency. I would go so far as to hazard a guess in that at least 90% of the drivers affected by this project have never even heard of Twomilehous/Brannockstown

Totally agree with Your post above Wetasanotter. At least Fiona O'Loughlin did make noises over the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Collision southbound at Naas North, traffic is a disaster, avoid if you see this in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Collision southbound at Naas North, traffic is a disaster, avoid if you see this in time.

was stuck there for a long time as the accident happened a few minutes before I got there. A car was overturned for no obvious reasons to me so hopefully the passengers were Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Notice from KCC - Source
    Changes around M7/M9 from next week
    M7 Naas/Newbridge By-Pass Upgrade Scheme 3 May 2019
    Notification of Traffic Management Works

Please note that, from 21.00hrs next Tuesday (7May 2019) night, the left hand merge lane (of the M9 Northbound carriageway with the M7 Eastbound carriageway) at Junction 11, will be closed as part of the ongoing traffic management arrangements for the M7 Upgrade project.

M9 Northbound traffic will be reduced to a single lane approx. 1km before reaching the M7, then M9 traffic will merge with the M7 from the existing M9 right hand lane.

This arrangement will be in place until further notice and will facilitate the ongoing construction of the new lane in the centre of the M7 carriageway.

Any inconvenience caused to the public is regretted.

Once traffic has been moved onto the new surface, works will continue to the adjacent verge/hard shoulder areas, which will include for the tie-in of new M9 merge arrangement.

A minimum of two lanes will be maintained, on the M7 carriageway, during peak hours of 06.00hrs to 22.00hrs at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Right so it sounds like things are about to get even worse...Part of the M9 down to one lane !

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

One lane merge from m9 -m7 = traffic backed up to new service area near kilcullen. Only in Ireland it’s gone beyond a joke now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One lane merge from m9 -m7 = traffic backed up to new service area near kilcullen. Only in Ireland it’s gone beyond a joke now.
    AA Roadwatch have nothing and Google Traffic says its freeflowing. Any evidence for this?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

marno21 wrote: »
    AA Roadwatch have nothing and Google Traffic says its freeflowing. Any evidence for this?

The poster is referring to what they think may happen from this Tuesday onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Signs up saying the old naas to newbridge road will be closed for two days on Tues and Wednesday of next week to facilitate road works for the new junction ten.

Cazale wrote: »
    Signs up saying the old naas to newbridge road will be closed for two days on Tues and Wednesday of next week to facilitate road works for the new junction ten.

Yep. Well just between 10pm and 5am. Details at http://www.m7upgrade.com/.

In other news the Southern Liffey bridge beams were being installed during the week. Osberstown overbridge now has three pillars both sides of road. Presumably a narrow bridge. They'll have to build that bridge and open that bridge before they build the Sallins bypass through the existing temporary Osberstown Road as the temp road is a few feet higher higher than the new bypass. Canal bridge still had no column work south of canal when I passed during the week. M7 Kerry bridge decking is in progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Yep. Well just between 10pm and 5am. Details at

Happy days. The electronic signs make it sound like they are closed for the full two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

One question: once the works are completed will there be a hard shoulder?

If there isn't, then this will be one of the most pointless projects in history:

"Yeah let's widen this to improve capacity and quicken journey times" but whenever a car breaks down it will be stuck in the lane defeating the entire purpose...

Yes, there will be a hard shoulder.

Snip

And here I was worried that I would never get home from work tomorrow evening. Thanks both of You for the heads up all the same.

Snip

And here I was worried that I would never get home from work tomorrow evening. Thanks both of You for the heads up all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gilly1910

marno21 wrote: »

AA Roadwatch are an absolute joke, you could be sitting in absolute gridlock on the M7 or M50, and they would either not mention it, or say that traffic was moving well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Just curious anyone the reason they seem to be digging a big pit off the road between Junctions 9 and 10 Northbound.? Seem to have done a lot of work digging it out in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭thebiglad

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Just curious anyone the reason they seem to be digging a big pit off the road between Junctions 9 and 10 Northbound.? Seem to have done a lot of work digging it out in the past few weeks.

Probably just drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭prunudo

thebiglad wrote: »
    Probably just drainage

Nah, probably to bury all the missed deadlines and political promises :pac:

thebiglad wrote: »
    Probably just drainage

Maybe one of the drainage ponds indicated in this layout?
    http://www.theaa.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/M7-Scheme-Layout-Layout2-1.jpg

BTW there is very large one south of new Junction 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Maybe one of the drainage ponds indicated in this layout?
    http://www.theaa.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/M7-Scheme-Layout-Layout2-1.jpg

BTW there is very large one south of new Junction 10.

I believe that particular pond has been there for some time, not sure if its entirely artificial but I assume done alongside one of the numerous projects around it.

Looking again at the plans, I still don't really get the reasoning for the Sallins bypass coming out at a roundabout 300m south of a crossroads which splits off traffic to Clane and Prosperous from one another, I feel like it was a missed opportunity to have the road come in to a roundabout at that junction instead... although I'm happy for a civil engineer to tell my why thats a terrible idea!

Advertisement