Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition Amounts

Options
  • 06-04-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Why does it state on the firearms cert that you can have say 100 shotgun cartridges, when in reality you can go into a RFD and buy 10 x amount? It's pointless putting a maximum amount on licence when everyone knows you can buy more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

rsole1 wrote: »
    Why does it state on the firearms cert that you can have say 100 shotgun cartridges, when in reality you can go into a RFD and buy 10 x amount? It's pointless putting a maximum amount on licence when everyone knows you can buy more.

Because that is the legal limit on the amount of ammo your allowed have at any one time. If it said 1000 then thats your limit.

It could be that you didn't say how much ammo you required on the license app. at the time and the reason for wanting said ammount. In which case the normal, from the FO seems to be 100.

I'd always apply for the amount of ammo that I think I'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

clivej wrote: »
    Because that is the legal limit on the amount of ammo your allowed have at any one time. If it said 1000 then thats your limit.

It could be that you didn't say how much ammo you required on the license app. at the time and the reason for wanting said ammount. In which case the normal, from the FO seems to be 100.

I'd always apply for the amount of ammo that I think I'll need.

Sorry to spell it out, but if there is 100 on the licence, I can and have been and purchased 10 times that amount no questions asked. So what is the point if no one really cares what amount on licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sorry to spell it out, but if there is 100 on the licence, I can and have been and purchased 10 times that amount no questions asked. So what is the point if no one really cares what amount on licence?

Because some people obey the law, as everyone should :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In other words, your car is capable of driving faster than 120kph, so why bother with speed limits at all? And you're physically capable of hitting someone with a rock, so why bother having laws against assault?

Simply put, by buying more ammunition than your licence permits, you're breaking the law by breaking the conditions of your licence. The dealer might get his wrist slapped, unless he says "gosh officer, he lied to me, and I can't search his house to be sure he didn't have more ammunition at home, it's not my fault". As this will be the first thing he does say, the gardai will punish you and only you, and it'd be the end of your licence for a while if they choose to do so. And I know of at least two other target shooters who have seen an end put to their target shooting as a result of exactly this infringement.

Also, Rule 8, so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement