Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with car tax

• 06-04-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

is it possible to tax this as commercial if you use it for farming? my father has a peugeot 806 2.0 hdi but is thing of getting a crew cab jeep if he can tax it commercially as he only uses it for the farm or going to the co-op.
    if you can tax as commercial how can you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Conchurl wrote: »
    is it possible to tax this as commercial if you use it for farming? my father has a peugeot 806 2.0 hdi but is thing of getting a crew cab jeep if he can tax it commercially as he only uses it for the farm or going to the co-op.
    if you can tax as commercial how can you do it?
    anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Yes you can tax a Crewcab as a commercial however you have to be farming or something like it.

ya he is a farmer. and is it difficult to tax as commercial for framing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

if you search the 4X4 forum http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1068
    you'll find your answer it's been talked about over there a few times

mayo_lad wrote: »
    if you search the 4X4 forum http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1068
    you'll find your answer it's been talked about over there a few times
    ok thanks will do that now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

He can use a herd number instead of a vat number to get it taxed commercial

pot p wrote: »
    He can use a herd number instead of a vat number to get it taxed commercial

how do you use the heard number instead of the vat number? is it legal? is it difficult to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

i think to tax commercial a vat no . or herd no will do. go into your tax office and they will help but for defo a herd no is proof of business.might want to price commercial insurace though

cjmc wrote: »
    i think to tax commercial a vat no . or herd no will do. go into your tax office and they will help but for defo a herd no is proof of business.might want to price commercial insurace though

do you know if he would have to fill in forms or what to get it done? if he buys one that is taxed as commercial can he just renew the tax when it is up or will he have to fill in forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

No he will have to change the ownership of the jeep to himself when he buys it and get it Doe'd and then as he just has to get a seperate form from the tax office for commercial vehicles. He should be fine if he has a herd number. Yes he will have to fill out more forms.

• Advertisement

notsobusy wrote: »
    No he will have to change the ownership of the jeep to himself when he buys it and get it Doe'd and then as he just has to get a seperate form from the tax office for commercial vehicles. He should be fine if he has a herd number. Yes he will have to fill out more forms.

but if it is already doe'd and taxed commercially what does he need to do after he gets it in his name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

As the others have said he will be fine with herd number on the forms he will have to fill in. Although it's already DOE'd and commercially taxed, the vehicle tax office will ask for new proof of commercial use on change of ownership. Herd number is one of several proofs that are accepted.

Crew cab use (ie a pick up with a second row of seats) is also becoming a problem, some offices are now asking for PPS numbers of employees that need the additional seats in addition to VAT,herd no etc.

It has been covered on the Motors and 4x4 forums numerous times but still confuses many, stupid system :mad:

101sean wrote: »
    As the others have said he will be fine with herd number on the forms he will have to fill in. Although it's already DOE'd and commercially taxed, the vehicle tax office will ask for new proof of commercial use on change of ownership. Herd number is one of several proofs that are accepted.

Crew cab use (ie a pick up with a second row of seats) is also becoming a problem, some offices are now asking for PPS numbers of employees that need the additional seats in addition to VAT,herd no etc.

It has been covered on the Motors and 4x4 forums numerous times but still confuses many, stupid system :mad:

Can he just give the pps numbers of his wife and children if they ask for pps numbers as we help out on the farm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I don't know, at the moment you may get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 keltip

I'm interested in this thread as hubbie and me were thinking of getting a commercial jeep, but just rang the tax office in Nenagh and in order to tax commercially now you either need to be self employed (and registered with revenue) or employed as tradesman. I asked if herd number will suffice anymore and unfortunately not.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

If you have a herd number and vat number it's no problem. I would assume that most people who have a herd number are either registered with the revenue or have a vat number. But as I said in another post never assume!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

I have bought 2 different crewcabs over the last 5 years. Both were secondhand and never had a problem renewing commercial tax on them. Never asked for either vat no. or herd no.

Advertisement