Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission

• 06-04-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

Anyone paid for this yet? Looks absolutely amazing from a technical point of view and just rubs of a aura of coolness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

No takers?

Bought it myself quite a complex game so far. Though the UI is pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well definitely be picking this up when it's released, I just don't have the time to sink into a beta at the moment.

Now all I need now is another Battlezone and Hostile Waters and my First Person Strategy triumvirate will be complete. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I never heard about this.
    Looks cool!

gizmo wrote: »
    Well definitely be picking this up when it's released, I just don't have the time to sink into a beta at the moment.

Now all I need now is another Battlezone and Hostile Waters and my First Person Strategy triumvirate will be complete. :pac:

Heh I know what you mean, while PC Gaming doesn't have many "big" titles lately there has been a ton of small interesting ones floating up that I have just had to get my hands on this. Feel this will be a great one. Though I would love more units then what currently is in and I am looking forward to when infantry combat is added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it seemed a better idea than starting an new thread and I couldn't find a newer one. But:

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea it was out this month and stumbled upon it when I opened steam. Goodbye weekend!

• Advertisement

I wish I could redeem my key on steam =(

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Is it any good? was thinking about it for awhile, but then I saw a 20min demo and besides the terrible acting and narration looked kinda clunky and awkward (I hope im wrong :( )

I'm only going through the campaign at the moment, which is essentially an overly long tutorial. But it's great fun. The acting and dialogue are truly awful, but thankfully they're only in the campaign. Once you finish that you play the strategic game, which has no story and is open for you to play however you feel. Controls are pretty good. There's not a whole lot of different buttons, so it's easy to fly and drive the vehicles. And the UI is well laid out, so you've easy access to all the info you need.

The bad parts of the game so far have all been because of the structured missions in the tutorial. Things like not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing, or if I should head to the next island. But since they're not part of the main game, it's easily forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Been humming and hawwing over this though I loved the original.. worth a punt then? (or 39 of them? :p)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any reviews?

• Advertisement

Not a whole lot yet. Those that are in give it about 70%, which seems right to me. If you loved the first one, this is more of the same with better graphics and game play. It may bore some people after a while as it can get quite repetitive for the most part, since you go from island to island doing pretty much the same thing. But you're given different ways of attacking the islands, with different targets that can make life easier for you (for example, taking out a radar station can make it harder for enemies to track you down), and having to make sure you've got proper supply lines and protecting them from enemy carriers adds to the strategy.

The AI is fairly pants, to be honest. Pathfinding for your vehicles is very hit and miss. Sometimes they're backing you up competently, and other times they're repeatedly banging into a rock. Enemy AI isn't too much of a struggle to deal with. Infantry charge at you while ground vehicles move in and out of cover.

It'll never be known as a classic and I can't imagine it'll make many people's top ten lists, but it delivers pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

humanji wrote: »
    Pathfinding for your vehicles is very hit and miss. Sometimes they're backing you up competently, and other times they're repeatedly banging into a rock.

Somone on the Bohemia forums said,
    "It's not a bad game. It's probably the best cat-herding sim I ever played"

I uninstalled it because I was sick of babysitting all my tanks whenever they get stuck at a rock/gulley/alley/middle of the road. Some people may enjoy that but I don't. Shame because it could have been a great game.

Also,
    NO MULTIPLAYER!!![WHATSOEVER]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

nathan184 wrote: »
    Also,
    NO MULTIPLAYER!!![WHATSOEVER]

I hate when this is a bad thing.

NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS IT!!!

Kiith wrote: »
    I hate when this is a bad thing.

No argument there. It's just something I think would have been awesome to have in this kind of game [if they fixed the pathfinding also]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I really want to pick this up (played the hell out of the original), but the price seems high for some reason.

As for multiplayer - if it's anything like the original, you'd just spend hours never seeing the other player. I don't ever remember playing a whole game in one sitting, so I just don't see how it would make sense. I'm glad they spent the dev time working on the single player game instead.

I will keep an eye on the forums over coming months to see if they patch the pathfinding. I would enjoy the single player if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Sounds like one to wait for a special offer on.

Sounds like one to wait for a special offer on.
    That seems to be the best option, unless you're desperate to relive the original.

As for multiplayer, Vs games would be fairly boring for the most part. But if there was a mode that was focused on one island, then it could work. And co-op could also possibly work, with either two carriers, or people taking control of various vehicles from the one carrier (which would certainly sort out the AI problem!).

There's a demo out: http://www.carriercommand.com/2012/10/demo-for-windows-pc/

Not sure what it's like, so can't say if it's a good representation of the game or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

I was expecting this to be a great remake of Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising which I absolutely loved in 2003.

The AI of my units is very poor and as mentioned, and I kind of agree that its a bit of a cat herding game, sadly.

The first time you play it is agonising, the First Person part really put me off, but i mustered through hoping the Carrier Commanding was going to be worth it.
    Played 3-4 hours and feel like shelving it already.

I like the other element, the BattleZone-esque unit control, but I'd rather go back and play BattleZone II, as it was way more polished.

I do wonder how much of the Arma engine has gone into this as I see similarities in the unit AI, like how the unis get stuck and continually drive back and forth in the same spot stuck in front of a large rock or tree.
    Hopefully its just a quick release and theres some patches on teh way to fix these basic errors. I'll come back to it when its a bit more polished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Would love to play this, the original on the amiga was great.
    Im going to wait until they patch the AI first.

The modding community might fix the pathfinding in a month or two. If not I'm afraid I have to listen to Zoidberg...

29294803.jpg

Some official modding tools are being released I think before end of November. The community might be able to fix this game then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Any update on whether the path finding has been fixed? I saw a youtube video demonstrating the awful walrus pathfinding. Was a little dumbstruck that they would release a game in that state. I like the idea, but not enough to deal with the constant frustration and loss of immersion baby sitting units around obstacles causes.

What's the take at the minute? Have the game's flaws (esp pathfinding and obstacle avoidance) received much attention?

They released some patches. You could check their forums and read the reaction from the players. I stopped following this a while ago.

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?143-CARRIER-COMMAND-GAEA-MISSION-NEWS

Advertisement