Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a simple allergy trigger chronic sinusitis?

Options
  • 06-04-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I've always been allergic to dust, however i was cleaning my room before Christmas, and had the typical symptoms, runny nose, sneezing. However after a week I was still feeling sick which turned into pressure around sinuses, complete congestion. fatigue and irritability all of which have been constant since, not a single minute where I don't feel sick. I have been sleeping a lot more lately My doctor gave me decongestant nasal spray, which just made it worse, i am due to see ent soon but praying he can help me out, anyone have any ideas does this sound like chronic sinusitis, and can an allergy trigger it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Hey , eh I pretty much suffer the same effects from my dust alergy , blocked sinus and terrible headaches (feels almost like an acid eating away at my sinus lol ) but its not chronic it generally clears up with in a week , but I find that the nasel spray makes it worse almost , it clears out my nose but i'm still left with blocked sinus' .
    I'd suggest to try stop takingthe nasal spray it might help like it did for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I'd love to know the same thing. I have suffered for years with this awful condition. I'm currently taking Antibiotics & anti-inflamatories. I've had a CT scan & the Sinuses were clear so I would really love to know what it is & what's trigerring it. I have had surgery (Deviated Septum fixed) but I still have problems. Using Avamys Nasal Spray daily. Acupuncture helps but it's expensive.. I had food allergy tests done & I gave up dairy & it didn't help. I think stress in one trigger & air-con in work too.. Gp/ ENT have not offered any help or solutions..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd love to know the same thing. I have suffered for years with this awful condition. I'm currently taking Antibiotics & anti-inflamatories. I've had a CT scan & the Sinuses were clear so I would really love to know what it is & what's trigerring it. I have had surgery (Deviated Septum fixed) but I still have problems. Using Avamys Nasal Spray daily. Acupuncture helps but it's expensive.. I had food allergy tests done & I gave up dairy & it didn't help. I think stress in one trigger & air-con in work too.. Gp/ ENT have not offered any help or solutions..

air con will do it.

I have M.E and avoid indoors as much as I can and the problem is less unless they are cutting grass/hay etc or other pollen issues.

last week was horrific for that and I was ill all week.

Saturday I was trading at an open air market.. the stall next door was burning those incense sticks and smoking. I could feel the chest tightening, nausea, sinuses ..

Took me hours for it to settle, but I know what is doing it which helps.

I use no chemicals or perfumes etc here; they can spark it off also. If I buy from a charity shop, straight in the wash as fabric conditioners start it. Make me heave!

I don't think anti-biotics will help frankly. I have not used them for many years and am the better for it. It seems more of an allergy thing that an infection.

People use so many chemicals in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Have you been tested for inhalant allergies, my ct of the sinus was clear aswell. but had extremely high levels of antibodies detected for two types of dust mite in an allergy test, so high that no form of anti histamine or nasal spray would work for me, i may begin immunotherapy soon so that might work according to my allergist.

Advertisement