Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your life is in threat. Would you pray/appeal to a higher power?

• 06-04-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

George Hook, being the troll that he is, very rarely makes a valid point but today, while talking about the 83% of the population who said they were Catholic ("Afterhours is representative" people take note - big time!), said he wonders how many of the non-believers of any religion would not pray/appeal to a higher power if they were in an airplane that was about to crash.

I'm Catholic in the sense that I go to mass when weddings and funerals are on. I'm not cool/certain enough to be an atheist. So I have to settle with being one of those doubtful agnostic types. The denomination I'm most attracted to is the Church of Ireland, largely because they robbed all the are in possession of the most amazing and historic churches in Ireland and I'd like to be able to hear music in them for as long as I live. Music, particularly Gregorian Chant, is really what attracts me to any spiritual place. A religious service without such calming music is not for me. Spiritually, that's where I stand. If I, or people close to me, were to be involved in some life or death situation I am absolutely certain I would pray to some "higher power", that I would appeal for something/somebody to help.

Given the number of vociferous atheists here, how about you?

Would you pray to a higher power if in trouble? 85 votes

Yes (I believe in some higher power)
    0%
    Yes (I'm an atheist)
    35%
    Drag00n79logonmarphilologos[Deleted User]Freddie59bbamRun_to_da_hillsAndrew HJoey the lipsstupidusernameDostoevskyhairyprincessbrummytomfluteredomg a kittyMillicentNotorious97ConchirkingtubbyThe Jammy dodger 30 votes
    No (I'm an atheist)
    7%
    [Deleted User]RHJflyaway.housetypeblater12Fromthetrees 6 votes
    Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    57%
    VolvagianeilmdlofnepStompboxstrobeUndeadcorktinaSomnus5uspect[Deleted User]SeachmallMenasmcgiffcoxy14minidazzlerblegIM0[Rasta]bntColmDawson 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If you're up there, save me Jebus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    no, Id take my medicine

he doesn't "make a valid point", he is quoting the usual "no atheists in foxholes" nonsense

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/paranoid77/misc/atheistsinfoxholes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nope. I would just hope I would be buried on my native land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Of course I would.

If you're not in, you can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    KeithAFC wrote: »

is that britian or ireland

:pac:

IM0 wrote: »
    is that britian or ireland

:pac:
    Ivory Coast. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    This poll brought to you by the department of redundancy department?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    I pray even if my life isn't in threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    Have experienced this. I can safely say that the only thing that ran through my body was sheer terror and adrenaline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    he doesn't "make a valid point", he is quoting the usual "no atheists in foxholes" nonsense

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/paranoid77/misc/atheistsinfoxholes.jpg

I prefer this one. http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_legx4ivIWQ1qzx9tmo1_500.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

It similar to when you hit your thumb with a hammer, you always utter a sexual profanity followed by some religious deity no matter how atheistic you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'pray'.. I probably would, and have in the past; said something like 'please God' when wanting something to go my way, even though I don't believe in any higher power whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    I was at a removal recently for my mams Aunt, I didn't really want to go, but at my mothers insistence I did to take care of my sister at it.

I went right down the back for the prayers at the funeral home and didn't bless myself or pray, just stood quietly. When I was sitting in the pews in the church I could hear my own aunt saying to someone next to her that I didn't kneel when the prayers were said. Didn't bless myself even, how disrespectful...I didn't say a word to her.

The thing I was thinking though was, I have no respect for your faith, I don't care what you believe, I respect your right to believe it, but I'm not gonna have respect for someone being catholic just because they are catholic. They certainly don't have respect for my beliefs.

In short, no, I don't believe in the whole "no athiests in a foxhole" bull, I know nothing awaits me when I die and for that reason I live pretty well now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No (I'm an atheist)
    Would I pray if i was facing a personal crisis. Of course I would. Anything at all that helps you during a trauma is worth considering, and if praying is a mere diversionary tactic or a psychological focus when something is out of your control, I think it could actually be an asset. You don't necessarily have to believe it.

I wish people wouldn't be so tedious about atheism, or so paranoid about not being seen to do something of a religious nature. Oh God these people who suggest we all use terms like "Thank Science" instead of "Thank God" literally bore me to tears.

For me, as a non believer, these little prayers as a psychological focus, nothing more nothing less. I would also quite happily walk into a church and have a think sometimes. Do I believe in God? No. But a church is a quiet, meditative space conducive to personal reflection. Just like prayer, it can have its uses, even if one doesn't believe in what it purports to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    Dostoevsky wrote: »
    I'm Catholic in the sense that I go to mass when weddings and funerals are on.

So when a muslim, hindu, jew, etc. attend mass for the wedding or funeral of a catholic friend/colleague of theirs, they become catholic also?

I'm sorry but attending mass for weddings and funerals does not a catholic make. There is a lot more to it, I'm afraid to say. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM is the criteria they demand in order to call yourself one.

With regards to your question, no, I absolutely would not pray. It would accomplish nothing. I've never genuinely prayed in my life, I'm not a member of any religion and frankly, if any God does exist, I can't see them being bought so fecking cheaply as a forced prayer when you think the gig is up. In fact, I'm pretty sure getting into the catholic heaven requires significantly more than a last minute prayer on your way to your death.

But hey, lets not let the supposed "facts" get in the way ;)

George Hook has never made a point worth listening to, he's as quote worthy as Ray "I'll leave if Enda is Taoiseach" D'arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    I guess it depends on what you mean by 'pray'.. I probably would, and have in the past; said something like 'please God' when wanting something to go my way, even though I don't believe in any higher power whatsoever.

This would be me in a way. I'm not sure if something higher exists - rationally it probably doesn't - but I certainly feel better in saying the "please God" etc when something bad happens. My prayer, on the rare occasion it happens, often involves just a 'Howaya....' to some higher power that I'm not at all sure of. If I ask them to help my believing friend or relative who is having a tough time, that is worth more to them than any other gift. Conventional prayers, however, bore me ferociously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    44leto wrote: »
    It similar to when you hit your thumb with a hammer, you always utter a sexual profanity followed by some religious deity no matter how atheistic you are.

hehe. Now, that was remarkably accurate of you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    Having had a few near death experiences (a bad car crash and a few awful falls from horses) I can honestly say praying is the last thing I was doing, cursing seems like a more appropriate response...to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I was in a very bad way a few months ago and I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    I was in trouble and I didn't.

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    I would use the few remaining minutes to think the problem through and try to escape/ avoid whatever it is.

I was once in a building that I knew was structurally unsound (I had seen the engineers report!) and was at severe risk of collapse in an earthquake! A 5 on the richter scale earthquake happened, all I thought about was where was the strongest bit and running to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    Praying is a futile exercise. It is for the weak minded, who are incapable of thinking for themselves or being intellectually honest with themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Praying is a futile exercise. It is for the weak minded, who are incapable of thinking for themselves or being intellectually honest with themselves.

How exactly?

philologos wrote: »
    How exactly?
    It isn't weak minded. People just have different beliefs. You might agree or disagree with it. Duke of Wellington, Stonewall Jackson, George Washington weren't weak minded people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Possibly - but out of habit; having that tendency instilled in me as a child, and never fully losing it. And perhaps as a last resort. I don't believe, but I don't claim to know for certain either.

Seems like an attempt at "Haha, atheists are actually religious really - they just won't admit it!" It ain't always atheists that are smug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    It has been. No, I didn't. Not unless you count copious swearing as a weird form of prayer. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    It has been. No, I didn't. Not unless you count copious swearing as a weird form of prayer. :o

It kind of is, hoping is also a kind of prayer, kind of asking the odds of chance to land in your favour and sometimes they do, so hope can be seen as something that works. Worrying also is another natural irrational reaction to stress, worrying wont help, but we do it anyway.

Humans are naturally religious, that does not make religion the truth, but it is part of our mental make up. As the saying goes "there are no atheists in a foxhole" But I do like to think I would be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    You'd be surprised when the pressure is on.
    I had a friend diagnosed as terminal, just three months left. He got very religious very quick. Praying, mass the whole real deal.
    He made it through for the moment but admitts that it's hard not to look for something when the end is nigh.

I'd say there aren't many who don't have a few words of some sort when they know for sure the lights are about go go out for the last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

As a non-believer, I find that attitude a little self righteous.

I agree that praying is futile, but sometimes, in situations like the OP is describing, you find yourself doing things you wouldn't normally do. I could imagine myself saying something like "Please God, help me", even though I know it won't happen and whatever will be will be. 'God' has never intervened in saving anybody as far as I'm aware.

It's the same as someone saying 'Sweet Jesus!' or 'Oh My God' - they're just expressions ingrained into the psyche and said as a knee-jerk reaction. I wouldn't read any other deeper meaning into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    Never - that would imply that there was a higher power. Something which just doesn't seem very likely.

After all - simple question. If god created everything, where exactly did god come from? It seems religion to me is based purely on humans inability to look at the world and not thing 'someone with hands like me must'a molded that'..

I don't enter churches for weddings, funerals or baptisms, but I'll attend the events outside of the church. I don't enter churches for the same reason I dont usually hang around in Synagogues or Mosques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

noxqs wrote: »
    I don't enter churches for weddings, funerals or baptisms
    Are those whose event it is not a bit snubbed by that? I'm not religious but it's their day, not mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    I know nothing awaits me when I die and for that reason I live pretty well now.
    You BELIEVE nothing awaits you.

Originally Posted by noxqs
    I don't enter churches for weddings, funerals or baptisms

You should get out more, join some cluns and perhaps you might then get some invites. Sorry to hear you have no friends:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    [QUOTE=minidazzler;77988636

In short, no, I don't believe in the whole "no athiests in a foxhole" bull, I know nothing awaits me when I die and for that reason I live pretty well now.[/QUOTE]
    unless you have been in one please do not quote what you call bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    I believe in God, but in a situation i dont know if id pray as id be busy tryin to get out of it, in my mind id be asking for help however if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Science doesn't agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    You BELIEVE nothing awaits you.

No, because my lack of belief in any religion means I'm not going to their version of heaven either way. So at best I'll go to Purgatory, but I'm confident I'll go to nothing.

I always considered a prayer to be a bit like sending a letter with no name and address on it, it just sits in an anthropomorphic post office with the mail sorters laughing at it.

Any time i have been deep in the **** my brain has either been thinking "oh fcuk, oh fcuk, oh fcuk" or, upon on the odd rare occasion...been ticking away sensibly trying to figure out how to extricate myself from said situation.

I think some people will pray, I think some people won't...I don't wish to assume there is any connection between your religious outlook and what you might do.

If anything, it's rather arrogant of people like Mr Hook, who I believe has never been on a plane that was about to crash, to assume they would instantly begin to pray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    later12 wrote: »
    Would I pray if i was facing a personal crisis. Of course I would. Anything at all that helps you during a trauma is worth considering, and if praying is a mere diversionary tactic or a psychological focus when something is out of your control, I think it could actually be an asset. You don't necessarily have to believe it.

I wish people wouldn't be so tedious about atheism, or so paranoid about not being seen to do something of a religious nature. Oh God these people who suggest we all use terms like "Thank Science" instead of "Thank God" literally bore me to tears.

For me, as a non believer, these little prayers as a psychological focus, nothing more nothing less. I would also quite happily walk into a church and have a think sometimes. Do I believe in God? No. But a church is a quiet, meditative space conducive to personal reflection. Just like prayer, it can have its uses, even if one doesn't believe in what it purports to do.

Jaysus, you don't half spout some amount of sense sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No (I'm an atheist)
    I spout shite the rest of the time,to keep it balanced:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Maybe (I'm an agnostic)
    I had a near death experience and I remember lying there and what was going through my head was not a prayer or asking for forgiveness but a drawn out "Ahhh fuuuuuuuuuuuck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck fúck"

But if someone wanted to pray that has nothing to do with religion necessarily, its okay to believe in a God and not need to do all these rituals and support an institution created and run by men because you believe in a higher power.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Yes (I'm an atheist)
    no athiests in a fox hole? i am a little tired this morning (sorry this afternoon , didnt notice the time) could some one explain this phrase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

no athiests in a fox hole? i am a little tired this morning (sorry this afternoon , didnt notice the time) could some one explain this phrase

It means if you're in a near-death situation you may find yourself praying to a higher power regardless of your current religious belief.

Basically if you find yourself in a foxhole with artillery shells landing all around you, you'll pray to the Devil himself to get you out of there.

The basics of it is that when your life is in threat, all people will pray to a higher power for intervention.

It's something spouted by a certain type of religious person in an effort to imply that Atheism or a relaxed attitude towards religion is born from an easy life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

http://militaryatheists.org/expaif.html

Atheists in foxholes, in cockpits, on ships.

Advertisement