Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow TD - Opinions

Options
  • 06-04-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm interested in getting anyone's opinion on the only TD elected from Carlow County in the last election.

Has Pat Deering done anything particularly good for Carlow since the election? I've had a look at his website but most of the postings are fairly generic and nothing hugely impressive IMO.

Basically, did we get what we voted for in this guy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fruitcow wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting anyone's opinion on the only TD elected from Carlow County in the last election.

Has Pat Deering done anything particularly good for Carlow since the election? I've had a look at his website but most of the postings are fairly generic and nothing hugely impressive IMO.

Basically, did we get what we voted for in this guy?
    You would have to find out why the investigation into planning irregularities in Carlow has been shelved by the current Government but my guess is that several Fine Gael members of both the town and County councils would be in very deep water, up to their necks in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I've seen him once since he was elected. At the Ballon parade on St. Patricks. He arrived when the parade was finishing up, was up on the truckbed/stage for the pictures and was gone as soon as the pictures were finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Well at least he s still alive, our last td , well one could never tell !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fruitcow

Owryan wrote: »
    Well at least he s still alive, our last td , well one could never tell !!!!

..at least he's still alive,... As performance metrics go it's not really the shining example of leadership and accountability I was looking for. But I guess it could be seen as a positive.

Surely someone has something (genuinely) good to say?

..at least he's still alive,... As performance metrics go it's not really the shining example of leadership and accountability I was looking for. But I guess it could be seen as a positive.

Surely someone has something (genuinely) good to say?

Havent seen him, heard from him or even know anyone who has.

Saying that , theres not a lot in Carlow for him to shout about. He s a government TD in the same const. as a minister so unless he starts to go against the party line no one will hear anything from/about him.

Ooops, one good thing , his leaflet drops have stopped cluttering my hall floor lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

There is a sign for Carlow on the M9 now thanks to pat. In the Nationalist was picture of Pat next to the sign. But to call that a big achievement..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

for-sale-sign.jpg

rua1972 wrote: »
    There is a sign for Carlow on the M9 now thanks to pat. In the Nationalist was picture of Pat next to the sign. But to call that a big achievement..

and here is the subsequent letter sent into the Nationalist...

Dear Editor,

With reference to the photograph of Pat Deering, TD, on page 3 of last week's edition of the Carlow People, I note that Mr. Deering may be committing an
    offence in the name of publicity.
    The photograph in question shows Mr. Deering pointing at a sign on the M7
    Motorway, just before the exit for the M9. To have the photograph taken Mr. Deering, and his photographer, would either have had to have driven to the location and stopped their vehicle at the side of the motorway - an offence under the Road Traffic Acts, as it was not an emergency, or parked their
    vehicle at the nearest motorway exit (Naas South, 4km away) and walked
    along the hard shoulder of the motorway - also an offence under the same Acts.
    Here was me thinking that our elected representatives had to abide by the same laws that we do.

Name and address
    with Editor

405560_240911269318685_129867493756397_570680_1639876997_n.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

kwalshe wrote: »
    Here was me thinking that our elected representatives had to abide by the same laws that we do.

I know text speak is frowned on, but rotflmao is the only real answer to that. (Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off)

I know text speak is frowned on, but rotflmao is the only real answer to that. (Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off)

You would have to assume they have brains too, and there aint a lot of evidence for even 1 braincell amongst them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

and here is the subsequent letter sent into the Nationalist...

Dear Editor,

With reference to the photograph of Pat Deering, TD, on page 3 of last week's edition of the Carlow People, I note that Mr. Deering may be committing an
    offence in the name of publicity.
    The photograph in question shows Mr. Deering pointing at a sign on the M7
    Motorway, just before the exit for the M9. To have the photograph taken Mr. Deering, and his photographer, would either have had to have driven to the location and stopped their vehicle at the side of the motorway - an offence under the Road Traffic Acts, as it was not an emergency, or parked their
    vehicle at the nearest motorway exit (Naas South, 4km away) and walked
    along the hard shoulder of the motorway - also an offence under the same Acts.

Name and address
    with Editor

That letter was in the Carlow People not the Nationalist, Pat seems to like been bold with signs http://www.carlowpeople.ie/news/deering-ordered-to-take-down-posters-2355479.html :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

It pathetic when a TD who is costing the country about €250,000 a year (see Namawinelake: http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/how-much-do-irish-politicians-get-paid-part-1-of-2/) has to point at a road sign as his only achievement.

I also see that he's giving clinics about the place: for €250,000 of your hard earned euros he will turn up in your area VERY occasionally (once a year / twice a year?) for half an hour. What a remarkable work ethic.

Comment sent on Pat Deerings website (http://patdeering.ie/about-me/)....
    Mr Deering,

Online discussions are are somewhat dismissive of you as an elected TD. It appears you are either incapable of doing anything useful, or simply incapable of showing any evidence of anything you have done. Would you be willing to respond to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056598753

You can either email myself directly or go online and reply. Your response will be appreciated by many people.

I'll post any response I get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

They should have asked him how often he committed offences on motorways while they were at it . . .

Be nice if he answers, we are his constituants after all. Maybe he is busy behind the scenes , but he has little or no public profile and have never heard him on any radio talkshows (dont listen to kilkenny carlow radio )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I gave Pat Deering my first preference at the last election. It was nothing to do with local politics, but nationally to keep as many Fianna Fáil people out.

Having said that he seems to be having as much impact in Leinster House as his Carlow predecessor MJ Nolan.

This is why I have always advocated a list system and a change in the way constituencies are drawn up. With a list system the cream are elected first and the people elected to purely make up numbers(As Deering is) have to have a cogent, intelligent opinion and not just someone who can press a yea or nay button as ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Tankardstown crossroads staggered crossroads at N81/ Carlow Hacketstown road is getting a signage (unnecessary) make over which happens to be the first major crossroads nearest to Pat Deering’s home as he actually lives in the Wicklow Constituency - considence much??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

As much as I hate to try and make an excuse for him, is the fact that he is in the same constituency as Phil Hogan hampering him from getting anything done in Carlow?

With Hogan being Minister of Environment and a strong supporter of Kenny, would it not mean that if Hogan pushes for something (which is always for Kilkenny) and at the same time Deering is also looking for something, then is it not a fore gone conclusion that Hogan will get his way?

TaosHum wrote: »
    As much as I hate to try and make an excuse for him, is the fact that he is in the same constituency as Phil Hogan hampering him from getting anything done in Carlow?

With Hogan being Minister of Environment and a strong supporter of Kenny, would it not mean that if Hogan pushes for something (which is always for Kilkenny) and at the same time Deering is also looking for something, then is it not a fore gone conclusion that Hogan will get his way?

But you never even hear him say anything about anything, even so far as "im trying to get this for carlow" He must ve borrowed mj nolans cloak of invisibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

But you never even hear him say anything about anything, even so far as "im trying to get this for carlow" He must ve borrowed mj nolans cloak of invisibility
    He is keeping his head down till the pension entitlement comes through then he might think about rocking the boat.

• Advertisement

Face facts here. Unless the charisma fairy gives him a belt of a wand, he's never going to achieve anything for Carlow. Like the rest of the TDs putting in time, he will make no effort to improve his public speaking, broaden his knowledge of political affairs (beyond expenses claims), or even prepare a meaningful speech that might be reported beyond the boundary of the Dáil chamber. Instead he will spend his spare time down on the farm at our expense.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

I HAVE TO SAY THAT WHILE PAT DEERING MAY NOT BE SHOUTING FROM THE ROOFTOPS ,HE HAS GOT HOLD OF MY NAME FOR HIS MAILING LIST AND I REGULARLY GET UPDATES OF WHAT IS BEING DONE THAT AFFECTS ME. WE DONT NEED WINDBAGS,WE NEED WORKERS.EMPTY VESSELS ALWAYS MADE MOST NOISE.

So after a week with no reply can i assume thats where we stand with him lol?

So after a week with no reply can i assume thats where we stand with him lol?

I was hoping, although not expecting, for a reply but nothing materialized. I am going to send another email and also a written letter.

When I first started the thread I was just curious as to whether anyone had heard anything about him. Having read all the replies, now I'm just seething inside. As someone stated, 250,000 euro a year for a person who's only claim to fame is that he once pointed to a sign on motorway under possibly illegal conditions.

We're the bigger fools for voting for him I guess. (I mean collectively not as individuals)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CMCR

With respect - what is the OP asking for here? A request for a comment on other comments on a public discussion forum? I would be surprised if there was a response to the OP's email - in fact, some people would say the views expressed are subjective. But that is just my opinion! ;)

The reality, is that this public representive is a first-time backbencher...so they are not at the Cabinet Table, or in a position or make decisions on policy and they are in a constituency with a Government Minister, so media coverage is therefore pointed.

I regularly watch proceedings in the Dail as part of my job and probably on only one occasion in the past 5yrs saw this persons predecessor (that is, the former TD for Carlow) ever speak in the Dail on anything; yet that person was repeatedly voted in at elections! And, might I add, continues to enjoy a TD pension. As do other predecessors of theirs.

I'm not sure what the answer to the OPs question is, but backbenchers really are limited and can only can lobby for different issues, highlight ongoing concerns and so on. Other than that, it is a matter for the Minister and Department concerned (and indeed, the funds available if required).

I might add, Carlow has received funding for a variety of services (including roads, sports facilities and so on) in the last few years....Visual in Carlow is probably just an example - something many other Counties are envious of!:)

CMCR.

CMCR wrote: »
    I might add, Carlow has received funding for a variety of services (including roads, sports facilities and so on) in the last few years....Visual in Carlow is probably just an example - something many other Counties are envious of!:)

CMCR.

Genuine question, I agree that the Visual is an amazing facility in Carlow, but what road and sporting facilities are you talking about? The M9 is and inter urban road that happens to pass Carlow and I'm not aware of any proper sports facilities in Carlow apart from Dr. Cullen Pk.

I would hope that mr Deering would be only too willing to try and amend peoples opinion of him and his record so far.

Comparing him to mj nolan is hardly a comfort . If he is bringing money/facilities to Carlow then it would be in his best interests to highlight this fact. No one knows when there ll be another GE and he will have plenty of competition to be a Carlow td.

Even with all the furore over the household charge and water metering he is nowhere to be seen or heard pushing the government line. To me that sums him up

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CMCR

Genuine question, I agree that the Visual is an amazing facility in Carlow, but what road and sporting facilities are you talking about? The M9 is and inter urban road that happens to pass Carlow and I'm not aware of any proper sports facilities in Carlow apart from Dr. Cullen Pk.

Funding for services is not always about the big-ticket items. In February this year a grant of €700,000 was announced for improvements to the southern relief road in Carlow, more than €400,000 was provided for improvements to the swimming pools in Graiguecullen and Bagenalstown last year, €86,000+ was approved last year for outdoor gym equipment in Tullow, Oakpark and Bagenalstown. They're just a few examples of funding from one Department for facilities/services - there are others I am sure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The fact that big Phil is a minister I would have thought he would have been getting Pat in a lot more publicity to make sure they hold the seat next time around but then again given Phil's performance maybe Pat doesn't want to stand too close!

• Advertisement

Comparing MJ Nolan to Pat Deering is like comparing a donkey to an ass.

Advertisement