Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Gas Question

Options
  • 06-04-2012 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I just moved into a new apartment which has central heating and the water is heated by gas too. I haven't got a clue about gas as we've only ever had electric.

I was wondering approx how long would you need to stick the timer on for daily to give enough hot water and some hear? It's a two bed apartment with two of us living here plus a toddler.

Would half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening be enough?

Also we had to turn the boiler on as it was turned off. Do we leave this on constantly yeah? No need to change any settings on that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

In an apartment, there's a good chance you have a combi boiler. That means that when you turn on the hot tap, the boiler comes on and produces hot water on demand (with a few seconds delay).

As for the heating, how long you leave it on depends on you. Generally you shouldn't change any of the settings on the boiler itself. Is there a timer and/or thermostat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

There she should also be a switch which means that in Summer you can put on the hot water without the radiators coming on. In our house it's the same as a light switch and is near the boiler. Why don't you ask the landlord to run you through it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We used to put it on timer for 2 hours in the morning and in the summer we switched off the rads and just heated the water.

Advertisement