Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to dog blankets, cheap and need them soon.

• 06-04-2012 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

My washing machine just blew up. I've been washing the dog blankets for the llast few months and I think that, along with the hubbies very dirty work clothes have been it's dynamite.

What's the alternative to blankets, how do you keep other beds clean and unsmelly. Was thinking of getting something I could wipe clean, if such a thing exists.

It needs to be a cheap solution as a new washer has to be got now as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

How about some nice fleece throws from Penney's? :)

My SiL bought some for her dog. Nice and cheap, wash really well and dry in no time at all! I've got dog blankies myself, but I do have some Penney's throws as well.

My dog has a plastic basket with a cushion over which I put his blanket. Whenever the dog's bathed, I throw his blanket in the wash along with his vet bed, flannel, water magnets and towels. Dry in no time! :D. The basket. I wash outside when the weather's dry. And the doggy hasn't destroyed it either.

HTH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Know anyone who might have old horse/pony rugs they no longer use that might have got torn etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

gud4u wrote: »
    My washing machine just blew up. I've been washing the dog blankets for the llast few months and I think that, along with the hubbies very dirty work clothes have been it's dynamite.

What's the alternative to blankets, how do you keep other beds clean and unsmelly. Was thinking of getting something I could wipe clean, if such a thing exists.

I use a dog mattress which is water repellent and stain resistant
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/mattress_dog_beds/129431
    I put a single duvet in a duvet cover and a cheap fleece blanket on top. I change blanket and duvet cover once a week. The dog mattress probably only gets washed
    Once a year (it is no hardship as it all comes apart!) but I Hoover it once a week. I get the throws in Ikea €1. You can get summer duvets in Ikea €3.50 and 3.5 tog
    which are grand or else I cut an old double/king size duvet! I wash all dog stuff together, then run the machine on an empty cycle with Milton and check the filter regularly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Thanks, good tips and advice as always.

I have lots of cheap throws and blankets, I's just a pain washing them, I have four dogs, that's why I was looking for an alternative, the pup still tends to pull them around a bit.

I have them spoilt, they could just sleep on the floor:D

Just saw a Mister Big Dog Mattress, half price on zooplus, Millem, is that like what you have. I actually only need 2.
    Two sleep on the couch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks, good tips and advice as always.

I have lots of cheap throws and blankets, I's just a pain washing them, I have four dogs, that's why I was looking for an alternative, the pup still tends to pull them around a bit.

I have them spoilt, they could just sleep on the floor:D

Just saw a Mister Big Dog Mattress, half price on zooplus, Millem, is that like what you have. I actually only need 2.
    Two sleep on the couch!

No I don't have the mister big dog mattress I have the 3 brownbay ones. (they come in different colours grey ones are called greybays) I do have another one I got half price in argos it is called a "pet slab" and looks like the mister big dog mattress but I have to say the brownbays are sturdier and more comfy! I have 3 labs so I am feeling your pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I agree. Penney's throws are great for dogs (sounds very snobbish!). They dry in no time. In fact just out of the wash and they feel almost dry. they look great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

I have an old leather beanbag for my dog, he loves it and I only ever have to wipe it clean. No smell off it and hes been using it for at least a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

+++1 on leather/pleather dog beds!

Our max who past away before xmas slept on one for the past 4 years of his life in which he suffered seizures and would therefore loose control of his bladder. Nightmare in terms on dog beds!

But the cover on the pleather beds would zip off and the mattress in it would still be dry and clean.
    A bucket of hot water/soap/etc for the cover swish it around and it would be as new again, but for general cleaning a wipe with a baby wipe!

They can be expensive but WELL worth it.

Still use them now with foster pups/dogs! Quite damage/teeth proof too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I had those waterproof beds, they had a heavy duty plastic covering that was wipe clean. sounds great but it was not one bit comfy for them and they really did not like it.
    now I use the vet beds, actaully they are easy to hoover (I hoover witht he brush for tiles/timber floor and it takes a lot fo the hair off) and they dont smell either. I also powerhose them which you can do in about 5 mins and line dry them. when i got them I got spares so any issue i can dump one outside and powerhose and use another.
    I do also wash in the machine and also managed to break our machine! anyway OH took it apart and found a compartment in the back where a load of hair/vet bed had collected. we cleaned it out and machine works again. did you try that? ours is behind the back panel somewhere:rolleyes:

ppink wrote: »
    I had those waterproof beds, they had a heavy duty plastic covering that was wipe clean. sounds great but it was not one bit comfy for them and they really did not like it.
    now I use the vet beds, actaully they are easy to hoover (I hoover witht he brush for tiles/timber floor and it takes a lot fo the hair off) and they dont smell either. I also powerhose them which you can do in about 5 mins and line dry them. when i got them I got spares so any issue i can dump one outside and powerhose and use another.
    I do also wash in the machine and also managed to break our machine! anyway OH took it apart and found a compartment in the back where a load of hair/vet bed had collected. we cleaned it out and machine works again. did you try that? ours is behind the back panel somewhere:rolleyes:

I actually found some carpet in the shed and I think I'II just get the vet bed, they are good. I like the idea of power washing them.

After emptying all filters..that I could find anyway..the trip switch was still flipping everytime I plugged it in. An electrician friend called to put things right(as I had no power to sockets all yesterday evening) I didn't even know the washing machine was the problem:o, he found that out for me.

I blew the motor in it....I may have overloaded it a tad...flung 2 dog blankets and a duvet cover in it in a rush and ran out to walk the dogs.:o The filter was also clogged with dog hair and a colour catcher sheet...won't use them again!
    It's beyond repair...but at least I can trust the electrics in the house as everything shorted out as it should have done.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I actually found some carpet in the shed and I think I'II just get the vet bed, they are good. I like the idea of power washing them.

After emptying all filters..that I could find anyway..the trip switch was still flipping everytime I plugged it in. An electrician friend called to put things right(as I had no power to sockets all yesterday evening) I didn't even know the washing machine was the problem:o, he found that out for me.

I blew the motor in it....I may have overloaded it a tad...flung 2 dog blankets and a duvet cover in it in a rush and ran out to walk the dogs.:o The filter was also clogged with dog hair and a colour catcher sheet...won't use them again!
    It's beyond repair...but at least I can trust the electrics in the house as everything shorted out as it should have done.;)

oh God:eek: you did a better job on the machine than I did :D. ours is still going just about but I know where that compartment is now to check it the next time there is crazy noises coming from it!

the power hose is great, 5 mins job done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have heard that wash bags are good. You put all the dog bits in the bag, zip it closed & put it in the machine. The bag is supposed to contain all the dog hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I could have wrote that original post myself a few months ago . I also have 4 dogs and was using the pennys fleece blankets but washing machine kicked the bucket twice. Tried the Washing machine bags as also found a colour catcher lodged along with A LOT of dog hair but while the bags stops the colour catcher doesnt help great with the hairs. So instead i now use large bath towels and put them into their plastic dog beds. The hairs dont seem to stick to them as much as the fleece blankets. I hang the blankets out on the line during the day (weather permitting) to blow the hairs off and generally wash them once a week. No issues with machine since. The towels are also stronger than the blankets so when the pup decides to pull it around wont tear as easy as the blankets. Hope this helps, seems to work for me at the mo but they are starting to molt now so hope it continues to work.

Thanks for all that,

The towels sound good too, just struck me that they don't hold the hair as much after you wash them when drying off the dogs...on a day like this as well.
    As like everyone, i'm a real hairball at the moment as they are all shedding, I wear fleece jackets a lot and it's so hard keeping the hair off them.
    I tried my GSD with a big plastic bed once an he didn't like it, he rathers sleeping on the floor with a blanket/towel/carpet from now on.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement