Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moss in grass

Options
  • 06-04-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Is there a product that will get rid of moss on the lawn??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

sulphate of iron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

sulphate of iron

+ 1, but you should rake out the dead moss in a couple of weeks.

TBH I figure it's nearly a waste of time trying to get rid of it because it'll be back as good as ever next year or the year after at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

See if your co op has granulated lime. You spread it at 100kg per acre
    So work down to the size of your lawn.
    It will reduce the PH of the soil and this eliminates the growing comditions for the moss. You
    May need to repeat the application next spring again, don't over do it on one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

thank s everyone for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

bbam wrote: »
    See if your co op has granulated lime. You spread it at 100kg per acre
    So work down to the size of your lawn.
    It will reduce the PH of the soil and this eliminates the growing comditions for the moss. You
    May need to repeat the application next spring again, don't over do it on one go.

I don't think lime will kill moss or even stop it growing but it may reduce its growth somewhat.

By the way lime, granulated or otherwise, reduces the acidity of soil therefore it increases the pH of the soil rather than reduces it. Not meaning to be pedantic about it by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

^^^^^^

good point - unless you know the pH of your soil to begin with, trying to amend the pH from an unknown starting point can do more harm than good.

while 90% of mosses thrive in acidic soils there are a number that like alkalini conditions provided by limestone and clay soils, also things like shade, wet and poor mowing habits promote moss growth.

usually no single approach works alone, a combined approach of moss killer application, scarifying, aeration, and correct fertiliser application can keep it in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use a scarifier attachment for your mower, you replace your existing blade, saves a lot of hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Last year I attacked the back garden, I started by forking the ground (some say this don't work but I did it anyway. Tedious!) then I applied this

P_GOULDING_FEED_1042470_2.jpg

in April and pretty much left the lawn to its own devices, it went dark where the moss was and over the summer grass growth slowly returned and now the garden is grass not moss. This Spring I'm doing the same on the front lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

Would it be too late to apply this now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hope not. I just done my lawn yesterday:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Avns1s wrote: »
    I don't think lime will kill moss or even stop it growing but it may reduce its growth somewhat.

By the way lime, granulated or otherwise, reduces the acidity of soil therefore it increases the pH of the soil rather than reduces it. Not meaning to be pedantic about it by the way.

Ya sorry got the PH thing backways..:rolleyes:

However it will reduce the tendency of the ground to grow moss and will help the ground free up the nutrients to the grass...

I don't think I suggested it would kill the moss, the sulphate of Iron will do that, however if the conditions that allow the moss to grow aren't addressed OP will be back with the same moss problem year in year out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 progarden

you can get a moss rake scarifier blade to fit your lawnmower. its an oregon product and should fit all walk behind lawnmowers. i have one its hard on the lawn in the short term but fantastic at doing the job.
    the lawn will come back amazing when your finished. the ise store in the arboretum leighlinbridge carlow sell them, theres a list of their store on chainsaw ie

Advertisement