Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info of the Donaghmede area

Options
  • 06-04-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello.

First post in here, and I have to say thank you all for the info that I have found here in the last couple of years. This site has been really helpful for me and have let me understand more of Ireland, and get in love with it.

I have a question regarding donaghmede area, in particular Donaghmede Road, it is really close the shopping market, I have seen a couple of houses in this zone and I would like to have your feedback about it before I make an offer, is it safe?, is it a good place to live?

I found some older threads that talk about "being rough at night close to the DART station" but I don't know what do they mean by "rough", are we talking about: "crazy dude please don't rape me" or are we talking just kids drinking on the side street?

Also in this threads they talk about the shopping area and try to avoid it at night, I would like to know if it is because of the noise, or because I could get in problems, or because they could steal from my house. I lived in latin america for some years so perhaps my definition of "rough" area could be different from what I have found here.

Thank you for your time

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Donaghmede is a fine area - very settled at this stage.
    Not sure where you mean by the DART station - Howth Junction? It's not really what I would call Donaghmede.

Yes, there might be crowds of kids hanging around, but that happens everywhere. I wouldn't have the slightest problem living in Donaghmede.

I'd say Latin American 'rough' is a lot worse than Irish 'rough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 spanishJ

Thanks for the info

yes, howth junction is the closest one to the house (5 min walk). thank you for the info, and yes, I haven't seen nothing in Ireland remotely close to Latin america (and that is why I love to live here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'd wouldn't live at Howth Junction, train stations like this one tend to attract not so nice undesirables. I do know Ardara Ave and its environs in Donaghmede, nice place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Some parts are lovely. I would not put Donaghmede Road in the nice category.

Tricky D, why wouldn't you. can you please elaborate? I don't know anything about this area.

Thank you all for your time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I've lived in Donaghmede for years now and it's not that bad, from Donaghmede Shopping Centre you have choice of 2 train stations, Clongriffin or Howth Junction both 15 minutes from the SC, the 15 and 29A is a good service with 10 minutes or so in the peak hours

again it all depends on where in Donaghmede your going to be living

mtjm wrote: »
    I've lived in Donaghmede for years now and it's not that bad, from Donaghmede Shopping Centre you have choice of 2 train stations, Clongriffin or Howth Junction both 15 minutes from the SC, the 15 and 29A is a good service with 10 minutes or so in the peak hours

again it all depends on where in Donaghmede your going to be living
    Hi

It eill be in donaghmede road. Close to howth juntion. I think i will be doing an offer in the house then. Thank you for your help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am living in Donaghmede (grange abbey) about 10 years now and its grand,never had a prob.Good transport options both train & bus.

thank you :), that answer gave me peace of mind.

I think I will be moving to this area then!

spanishJ wrote: »
    thank you :), that answer gave me peace of mind.

I think I will be moving to this area then!

The only downside is its not great for pubs,but howth,malahide and the city are not far away.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    The only downside is its not great for pubs,but howth,malahide and the city are not far away.

Yeah, well I will have to drink in the house :D, what do you think of the zone close to the shopping mall, does it get packed with not so good people in the night?

spanishJ wrote: »
    what do you think of the zone close to the shopping mall, does it get packed with not so good people in the night?

Its grand,closer to the train line would have more gangs of kids but even there its not to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I've lived in Donaghmede for nearly four years I've never had a problem, as somebody else above said there isn't much in the way of pubs or restaurants but Raheny has some nice restaurants and Howth has some nice bars and restaurants too. I think it has a bad rep from years ago but its a decent area now.

Advertisement