Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get RTE 2 on Soarview

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

First your link isnt working (as you havent copied all of the URL in)

I would imagine you have bought one of those devices that doesn't do MPEG4 H264 Level 4. It is a L3 version and only does standard definition. RTE2HD broadcast in L4 which is HD.

Return it, especially if it claimed to do Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 padraig102

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No CAM converter product for a TV will ever work.

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

If your TV can't tune Irish Digital you need a Saorview certified setbox or a replacement TV.

If the TV was sold specifically for Irish Digital TV even 2 years ago you are entitled to a full refund or replacement. All TVs since March 2008 should have been sold with a disclaimer pointing out that they are ONLY for Analogue TV and not for the Forthcoming Digital service in Ireland unless they were known to meet the spec. It was known by end of February 2008 that the "CAM" approach to upgrade would never work and that MPEG2 only Freeview sets would never work.

Despite being informed major UK Retailers continued to sell UK product on the Irish market without any accurate disclaimer (Tesco's "Freeview is not available here" was misleading, didn't address the lack of Digital compatibility for Irish Digital and in parts of Ireland isn't even true).

So am I wasting my time with a converter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

The one in your case?

Yes.

so what type of converter is the right one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

A Saorview approved receiver.

Any of the Set Top Boxes here if you want to use existing TV
    http://www.saorview.ie/productcategory/set-top-boxes/

Or the new idTVs
    http://www.saorview.ie/productcategory/idtvs/

But what I want to know is is there a converter card that is fully compatible with Saorview

• Advertisement

padraig102 wrote: »
    But what I want to know is is there a converter card that is fully compatible with Saorview

If you're referring to CAMs then no. None of them can do HD.

Thanks for the replies, so just to confirm none of thoses cards you insert into the side of the TV can get HD, or have Soarview working perfectly?

TV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Nah the Neotion Cams you are talking about only convert MPEG4 Standard definition to MPEG2.

They also heat up (a lot). We used to have a sticky here on these, I had to get it unstickied in case people bought them as they dont do HD.

Neotion were talking about bringing out a HD one, but the cost vs the costs of a set top box now is not worth the hassle.

By the way: Its something you may wish to take up with Neotion. They do claim that these do actually work for HD, but we know they dont and we know that for some time......

It was found that an HD one would only work if the TV already did MPEG4 HD. The data rate converting MPEG4 to MPEG2 is too high and many non-MPEG4 TVs will only take HD via HDMI or Component.

The CAM was only ever intended for MPEG4 Standard Definition Pay TV. Yet plenty of eBay sellers still claim it works here.

It doesn't work, it won't work and no future product will either for Freeview TVs. I met with Neotion Engineers in Amsterdam. They can only make a CAM that works on HD for a TV that ALREADY works on HD via the tuner*!

Also in UK "Freeview" is obsolete. Their revised backward compatible system could never work with a CAM even on a TV where that is possible as UK HD uses a different tuner, DVB-T2 rather than DVB-T.

Some TVs will not even work with the CAM on Standard Definition as the TV Scan & save channels will ignore MPEG4 channels correctly labelled.

This information is here over a year (possibly since November 2010)
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

Your only solutions are a new TV or an external Setbox. It is not possible ever to convert MPEG2 Freeview sets to MPEG4 HD via plug in CAM module.

(*Australia does or did use MPEG2 for HD terrestrially, it's possible a Neotion CAM *might* work on such an Australian set)

Advertisement